A bit about myself ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

A bit about myself and how I came to be here.

14 Posts
6 Users
164 Likes
Rathius
(@rathius)
Honorable Member
Crafter
Rep Points: 804
Topic starter  

I grew up in an auto body repair shop. Dad owned one since not long after I was born. I’ll be 62 in December. I shot red-oxide lacquer primer by the time I was 12. First paint I shot was DuPont Lucite acrylic lacquer. I was 17. I worked off and on for my dad over the course of 40 years, beginning at 9. Any painting skill I have I owe to my dad. We had our own paint mixing setup and I used to mix all the paint used in the shop. It was nice for the other painters and I only mixed what was needed. Smallest amount I ever mixed was 0.10 of a pint. Gravity fed guns helped make it possible to use that little amount.
Anyway, I recently bought new paint guns and an 8-gallon hotdog air compressor and I feel much more at home spraying with air. I just started building guitars a year ago and have tried wipe-on, spray can, Preval spray system, and an airless sprayer. I’m tickled pink to be using air spray guns now.  But I built a kit and fell in love then went crazy. In the last year I’ve purchased 16 kits, several with no hardware. I found global suppliers for various “bits and bobs” 😂 and have been enjoying experimenting with wiring as well as just sanding the wood. The entire thing is very zen for me. So relaxing it’s a sin. 😂😂😂 The wife, if you can believe it, has been very supportive and encouraging. She claims she’s never seen me so calm and happy and wants me to continue to build guitars. Even to the point I’m taking in work from the local music store, sold 2 of the 9 I’ve completed, and registered a luthier business. 😳 Thank you pandemic is all I can say because if not for the shutdown I may have never found this labor of love.

Tej, Chris Higgins, mattbeels and 15 people reacted
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 11547

@Rathius Good luck with your business! At least some positive outcomes besides pcr tests.

Tej, mattbeels, Russ and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God

Great story! That is what it is all about...best of luck to ya...the world needs more guitar makers..long live the guitar making revolution!!! It's time to take over !!!! 😎 

but seriously,

Welcome

This post was modified 2 years ago by mark bailey

Measure twice, cut once...

Tej, mattbeels, Russ and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 16811

@rathius

What a great positive introduction story, I can totally agree with the relaxing bit. I wouldn't have started this either without a pandemic lockdown or without the help and inspiration from @markbailey and this community. Which part of the world are you in?

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

Posted by: @rathius

I’m tickled pink to be using air spray guns now

@rathius Woooooohoooooooooo…….. A fellow paint sprayer…. Yes! Good man! 

Nice to meet you and I’m glad you are here. Our stories are quite similar, only you started with paint spraying much sooner in life than I did. 

Yes as bad as this pandemic and lockdown has been for the world, there are several good stories to come out of it and yours is one of them. Im really pleased that you have found guitar making and more to the point, you are enjoying it, and that you have found us here in this forum. 
We pride ourselves on being the most helpful, kind and pleasant (a little cheeky sometimes), positive and encouraging forum in the world (for guitar building). Don’t just take my word for it, stick around long enough and I’m sure you will agree. 
None of us are expert guitar builders (that I know of), apart from our resident guru @markbailey and this is a place to share our mistakes, ask questions and help to find solutions for each other. 

I love this place, it saved me. 

Boo. 👍🎸

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

Tej, mattbeels, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rathius
(@rathius)
Honorable Member
Crafter
Topic starter  

@markbailey Thanks Mark, I appreciate it and I appreciate you and what you've done for us here. I thought it quite appropriate when I first found you and this site. Why? LOL Well, my family originates from England, Scotland, & Wales. Yep! Also, I absolutely love how genuine you are in the videos. Would love to join you at your shop for an in-person course but that'll be a few years down the road. LOL Gotta sell some of these guitars to get the cash first.

Again, thank you so very much for setting this site up and for all you've done. Guitar building has revived my creative side and those that have seen it so far are quite enthusiastic for me to continue. May you be blessed beyond measure.

ReplyQuote
Rathius
(@rathius)
Honorable Member
Crafter
Topic starter  

@robin I live in a small town in the middle of Kentucky, USA. And by "the middle" I mean dang near the geographical center of the state. Little town named Campbellsville. Sorry, I should have included that in my original post. 🙂

Tej, mattbeels, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rathius
(@rathius)
Honorable Member
Crafter
Topic starter  

@koendb Thanks dude, I appreciate it. And let's hope the biz takes off really well. I need it to because I really don't want to go back to IT work. I've been an independent IT contractor for the last several years and it just isn't very fulfilling, although the money ain't too bad. It is a headache though dealing with some of the companies I've worked for.

ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 11547

Posted by: @rathius

I really don't want to go back to IT work.

Hehe I feel your pain... Although, I cannot complain really. I dont see me do anything else but IT for food, the rest i do for fun.

Tej, mattbeels, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

Welcome @rathius! Great story and glad that you checked in! How did you end up smack dab in the middle of Kentucky?!?

Practice on scrap...

Tej, Russ, Robin and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rathius
(@rathius)
Honorable Member
Crafter
Topic starter  

@mattbeels born here. We lived in Ohio for about 7 years when I was little. Moved back here when I was 8. I’ve lived other places but always wound up back here. Finally decided might as well stay. 🤣 Having a wife, a child and a decent job kinda helped with that decision. 🤷🏻‍♂️

ReplyQuote
Rathius
(@rathius)
Honorable Member
Crafter
Topic starter  

@koendb I don’t have much choice though. Not right now anyway. I do believe that will change in the next 6 months though. In the meantime I’ll just keep plugging along making guitars and working on them. Enjoy it while I can right? 😁

ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

Ahh @rathius, you wrote that your family was from the UK and I clearly misread that you were…

Enjoy!

Practice on scrap...

Tej, Koendb, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rathius
(@rathius)
Honorable Member
Crafter
Topic starter  

@mattbeels 😂 sorry about that, I should have been more clear. My apologies.

I’ve traced my dad’s family back to the 13th century and found a Sir William Glasscock. Can’t recall what part of England. My mom’s side has been traced back to Scotland & Wales. Her family’s name was Bowen. I think both have a bit different spellings than they originally started with. 

Tej, Koendb, mattbeels and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: