156 Likes
tyreman
(@tyreman)
Reputable Member
Technician
Rep Points: 516
Topic starter  

hello everyone,

just want to introduce myself and say I am a new guitar builder, currently expanding my knowledge and this place is great, I have plans to make several guitars and find the guitar design course was very useful.

I play all kinds of music and like classical, acoustic steel string and electric guitars and have been a professional musician in the past. I have a stash of some really old brazilian mahogany and do have quite a bit of woodworking experience especially with hand tools so hoping that will help me out. I like to make fine furniture, boxes, cabinets and chest of drawers e.t.c and have sold a few but regard myself as an amatuer because I take a long time making stuff, and can be a bit of a perfectionist, I am sure there are many things I can learn from you all!

I am currently working on designing a 12 string electric which has been challenging but I'm really enjoying it, I will probably make a couple of simpler guitars first and build up the skills needed before making the 12 string.

warm regards,

Ben.

swepri, Esus-Guitars, mattbeels and 15 people reacted
Robin
(@robin)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 16784

@tyreman

Welcome to the group Ben, with your woodworking experience I think you'll be able to teach us a thing or two. What part of the world are you in.

mattbeels, Tej, Koendb and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
Rep Points: 28600

@tyreman

Welcome Ben,

I agree with @robin. You're going to be able to teach us some new skills. Enjoy the ride. 

🙂🎶🎸🙏

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

mattbeels, Tej, Koendb and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34813

Posted by: @tyreman

I like to make fine furniture, boxes, cabinets and chest of drawers e.t.c and have sold a few but regard myself as an amatuer because I take a long time making stuff, and can be a bit of a perfectionist, I am sure there are many things I can learn from you all!

@tyreman Hey Ben, welcome to our wonderful forum. 

With everything you have listed, you will fit right in here, no problem. Speaking for myself, I can confirm that some guitar builds take me a long time too and that I am a bit of a perfectionist too. 
Your woodworking experience will serve you well but you will have to learn to use other materials to such as metals and plastics but it isn’t rocket science, you won’t have a problem. Once you have learned the essential and important fundamentals, you can make any guitar you want to design (within the current laws and understanding of physics that is). 
One of the biggest things, I think, to establish is to have patience. Take it easy, go slow, double double double check everything as you go along and enjoy it all. I’m sure you know this with your experience but it’s always worth repeating. It all becomes second nature eventually and then you become unstoppable. 

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with and whenever you need help or advice, just check in here in the forum and we will try our best to help you out. We mere mortals always try our best but it’s always best to check with the guru @markbailey 

Enjoy. 👍 

Boo. 

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

mattbeels, Tej, Koendb and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tyreman
(@tyreman)
Reputable Member
Technician
Topic starter  

@robin thanks, I am based in Stockport near Manchester

mattbeels, Robin, mattbeels and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@tyreman

Welcome to the group 

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

mattbeels, tyreman, Tej and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 5385

@tyreman

Welcome, looking forward to the 12 string design! 

…on an elaborate journey to turn trees into music.

mattbeels, tyreman, Robin and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 11547

Welcome @tyreman!

mattbeels, Russ, tyreman and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

Welcome @tyreman! An electric 12 string sounds fun, that is if you enjoy spending half your time tuning and the other half playing out of tune, enjoy!

Practice on scrap...

tyreman, Robin, Russ and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tyreman
(@tyreman)
Reputable Member
Technician
Topic starter  

thanks for the warm welcome everyone! already making plans for my first build.

mattbeels, Russ, Boo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@tyreman

Whats your first build going to be

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Koendb, mattbeels, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tyreman
(@tyreman)
Reputable Member
Technician
Topic starter  
Posted by: @rocknroller912

@tyreman

Whats your first build going to be

good question, I am probably going to keep it simple for the first build, but have drawn out a few full-scale plans including the 12 string, so not sure yet.

mattbeels, Russ, Koendb and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 11547

Posted by: @tyreman

but have drawn out a few full-scale plans including the 12 string, so not sure yet.

I want to build a 12 string too, well at least it is on my bucket list, but first I hope to get my demi-12-string to intonate properly 😀

mattbeels, Boo, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tyreman
(@tyreman)
Reputable Member
Technician
Topic starter  

@koendb yes I know the feeling, I've got the gotoh 12 string bridge so should be able to intonate every string, at least that's the theory 😎 I once had the danelectro 12 string and sold it and want one again, I love them for recording and layering guitars.

mattbeels, Boo, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: