7 Users
358 Likes
jaxty
(@jaxty)
Eminent Member
Semi Professional
Rep Points: 285
Topic starter  

I've posted in here before and lurked a while.  I'm located in the Toronto, Canada area of the world... 

I watched Mark and Carol's "Build an Electric Guitar" live streams at the start of the pandemic because I was in process of building a '59 Les Paul Junior DC from scratch.  I learned a lot from Mark in those videos, as well as many others Mark and Carol had posted to YT (along with hundreds of other guitar-building videos).  I was late in my build, and the advice I learned didn't allow me to avoid the most costly of mistakes, and my guitar didn't turn out as planned.

I needed better advice or a better plan.  I committed myself to sign up as a premium member as soon as I could afford it (during current times), so I could re-do my build step by step with a better plan.  That day came today when I finally signed up to learn the right way to do this.

I now settle in with a nice old-fashioned in my glass and some video lessons!

Cheers to Carol and Mark for making these courses available.

tv1, mark bailey, mattbeels and 13 people reacted
Bpower
(@bpower)
Noble Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 3851

Welcome @jaxty. I'm on the east coast of canada, the border between NS and NB. We need more Canadian content on here. This could be a slow Canadian takeover. And we won't be sorry. 🙂

tv1, mattbeels, Koendb and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
jaxty
(@jaxty)
Eminent Member
Semi Professional
Topic starter  

@bpower Thanks!  I grew up on the east coast (Cape Breton Island).  I love the east coast!  I'll retire down there in a few years, hopefully!

tv1, Russ, mattbeels and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Bpower
(@bpower)
Noble Member
Luthier

@jaxty Cool. I love Cape Breton. Me and the guys all gather once a year at a golf course on cape breton island for a fun filled golfing/drinking/guitar playing weekend. It's always a blast. My wife has a lot of cousins that live in cape breton. They really know how to party. 🙂 I grew up just outside Halifax. 

tv1, Koendb, Boo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34813

Posted by: @jaxty

I needed better advice or a better plan.  I committed myself to sign up as a premium member as soon as I could afford it (during current times), so I could re-do my build step by step with a better plan.  That day came today when I finally signed up to learn the right way to do this.

@jaxty Superb, you will not regret it. You can only learn so much from YouTube and it can become inconsistent and you may get confused with conflicting information the more people you listen to. There is nothing wrong with that but eventually I find that you can’t beat a properly structured approach to learning something. The ideal way to learn guitar building is in a hands on, workshop environment with a teacher but the next best thing is a step by step, structured online video course with a backup network, this forum. It’s tried and tested and it works well, all you have to do is commit to it, study it, collect your tools, design your project and slowly build your guitar. And….. more than anything else (alongside health and safety), enjoy yourself. Go slow and take it easy. 

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

tv1, jaxty, Russ and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

I now settle in with a nice old-fashioned in my glass and some video lessons!

Cheers to Carol and Mark for making these courses available.

@jaxty Yep, that’s the spirit! 😉🥃

I watched the full course at least twice (and took notes) before I started cutting any wood. What I also did was take my iPad into my workshop with me so I could watch each video just before each step of way. I paused and rewound countless times to make sure I was doing things right. 
It can seem a little daunting at first but when you get to the end and you have a fully functioning guitar that YOU made, you will want to build another because you have just proven you capabilities. There are only a handful of essential principles that you must get right, the rest is just window dressing, you can create whatever design you like. 

We are all eternally grateful to @markbailey ,Carol and everyone involved in making these video courses. 

Let us know how you get on and you know where to come when you have any questions. 

tv1, jaxty, Russ and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
jaxty
(@jaxty)
Eminent Member
Semi Professional
Topic starter  

@boo Agreed, in-person in a workshop would be ideal... but alas, here we are!

Can't wait to travel, and get in Mark's shop one day for a live build!

mattbeels, tv1, Robin and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 11547

Can't wait to travel, and get in Mark's shop one day for a live build!

Don't know If I will ever be able to do a full live course, but I definitely would like to, at least, pay a visit at some point and bring some Belgian beers and chocolates

mattbeels, tv1, Robin and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@koendb

Im pretty sure that if you were travelling from Belgium to the Bailey workshop you would have to pass close to my place, so welcome to call in with some beers and discuss guitar stuff.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 11547

Posted by: @rocknroller912

Im pretty sure that if you were travelling from Belgium to the Bailey workshop you would have to pass close to my place, so welcome to call in with some beers and discuss guitar stuff.

@rocknroller912

Not if but, when I do , I am certainly up for that! 👍 🍺 

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

@rocknroller912 @koendb I’m pretty sure that I will definitely have moved to Scotland and a lot closer to the Bailey workshop by then as well. I think once the egghead scientists have come up with a better solution to the covid problem, we will be able to meet up for beers and banter. We may have to live alongside covid but if it can be managed with an annual vaccine then I think things can get back to being a bit more normal. It will only be like getting an annual flu jab, what’s one more? I did see something about it possibly being in tablet format. When I was at school, I remember us all having the TB jab and I can’t remember any hysteria about it, we all just got on with it. Having a jab is better than the alternative and I’m certainly not taking any of the monumentally ridiculous conspiracy theories seriously, that’s just laughable. 

Several beers, especially some Belgian beer 🇧🇪🍻 😋🤝 would be very welcome indeed. We can offer some drams of Scottish whisky in return. 🥃🥃🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@boo

Looks like a guitar makers convention somewhere in Scotland, hopefully not too far in the future. My local pub does real ale and has a micro brewery in the cellar.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

ReplyQuote
Bpower
(@bpower)
Noble Member
Luthier

@rocknroller912 it is sounding like I need to start saving my change. I would love to see that part of the world. 🙂

mattbeels, tv1, Robin and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@bpower 

Its cold wet and miserable most of the year but probably still warmer than Canada 

mattbeels, tv1, jaxty and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Bpower
(@bpower)
Noble Member
Luthier

@rocknroller912 yup. Sounds like a dream. 🙂 Plus I think my wife's ancestry is over in Scotland.  I think it is on our bucket list anyway so..... two birds one stone? 🙂

ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@bpower

The Bailey workshop is located in a good area on the west coast and not too far from Glasgow airport so it’s a good place to start from, just don’t go in July or August the west is full of midges.

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

Looks like a guitar makers convention somewhere in Scotland, hopefully not too far in the future. My local pub does real ale and has a micro brewery in the cellar.

@rocknroller912 Excellent. 😋🍻 Sounds good to me. That’s one venue sorted, where next? 

ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Rep Points: 16784

Several beers, especially some Belgian beer🇧🇪🍻😋🤝would be very welcome indeed. We can offer some drams of Scottish whisky in return.🥃🥃🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

I'm not a big beer drinker, but I'm sure I could manage a wee whisky or two.

mattbeels, tv1, Boo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@robin

My town has a whisky distillery also opened a few years ago and it does tours. Cafe as well.

ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Rep Points: 16784

@rocknroller912 

My town has a whisky distillery also opened a few years ago and it does tours.

My days of trying to drink a whole distillery are long behind me.

mattbeels, tv1, Russ and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: