218 Likes
Steve Handley
(@steveh)
Estimable Member Customer
Adept
Rep Points: 177
Topic starter  

Hi everyone,

so, after months of dithering, I finally signed up today.

I’ve always been happy tinkering with guitars, got my hands dirty by restoring a rather battered RG 7420, including re-sanding fretboard and installing new frets (that was a steep learning curve!)

So, to go one step further, I built a Flying V from a kit, but was disappointed by how badly made it was, and how much needed to be corrected. I wondered how difficult it could be to do these things properly. So, let’s find out 🙂

I’ll be working from my garage, and I’m going to need to install a partition wall to keep the “woodworky things” away from the “motorbikey things”.

Whatever happens next, it’s going to be an interesting journey!

cheers

Steve

Tej, mattbeels, Koendb and 11 people reacted
Bpower
(@bpower)
Noble Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 3860

Welcome @steveshandley-plus-com . Have fun along the way. Post progress pictures. We all love to see things coming together. And you couldn't find a better place to ask questions.  🙂

Tej, mattbeels, Koendb and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

Posted by: @steveshandley-plus-com

Whatever happens next, it’s going to be an interesting journey!

@steveh Welcome to you, you will find help and encouragement here, you are in the right place. 

I think most of us have tinkered with guitars for years and some of us started building kits before moving on to the real thing. Kits vary in quality and can be fun to make but you can’t beat building from scratch, I love it. 

Create a new project page on here (in the Showcase section) and upload pictures of your progress so we can help guide you as you go along. 

Good luck to you and enjoy it. 👍

Boo. 

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

Tej, mattbeels, Koendb and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 28644

@steveshandley-plus-com.

Welcome Steve. Enjoy the Ride. 

🙏🙂🎶🎸

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

Tej, mattbeels, Boo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 11547

@steveshandley-plus-com Welcome to this wonderful community!

Tej, mattbeels, Robin and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@steveh

Welcome to the group. I also build in my garage with a motorbike in the space and it’s not too hard, just throw a big dust sheet over the whole bike including the chain. Sawdust will stick to it badly. 

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Tej, mattbeels, Russ and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

Posted by: @rocknroller912

I also build in my garage with a motorbike in the space and it’s not too hard, just throw a big dust sheet over the whole bike including the chain. Sawdust will stick to it badly. 

@rocknroller912 and @steveh That is fine for protecting your bike from your woodwork but I’m not so sure it’s completely protecting your woodwork (guitar project) from your bike. What I’m referring to is getting oil, grease etc, especially silicone based sprays such as WD40 or similar. If that stuff settles on your woodwork, it can cause major problems with gluing as well as painting, it’s a big no no. If it was me, I would have two totally separate work areas for these two hobbies/activities, they don’t mix. You definitely don’t want overspray from painting your guitars settling on your bike either. 
I would continue with partitioning your garage for now and don’t spray WD40 as it will waft into your woodwork area as you move around.  
I’d like to see how you do it, if you would mind sharing some picture sometime. 👍

Tej, mattbeels, Koendb and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@boo @steveh

Ive had a bike in my garage for 25 years and never found it to be a problem with woodwork. Bike gets cleaned in the driveway and only sits there, so why solve a problem that doesn’t exist. I made a flat pack box for spray painting mostly to keep dust away. All the bits unscrew and it stores flat when I don’t need it.

This post was modified 2 years ago by Rocknroller912

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Tej, Koendb, mattbeels and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

Ive had a bike in my garage for 25 years and never found it to be a problem with woodwork. Bike gets cleaned in the driveway and only sits there, so why solve a problem that doesn’t exist. I made a flat pack box for spray painting mostly to keep dust away. All the bits unscrew and I stores flat when I don’t need it.

@rocknroller912 Fair enough, that’s good to know. I’m always over cautious and look at things primarily from a painting perspective so I may not always be right. However, I have witnessed what mechanics materials used (WD40 etc) can do to my paintwork, that’s why I’m over-cautious. 😂 

I can’t argue against your 25 year proof, it’s good to hear about it. 👍

ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@boo

I agree with you on that as all this stuff does the same to bike paintwork so I don’t use any of it. Washing up liquid is about the strongest thing I use. Brake fluid is a great paint stripper by the way.

ReplyQuote
Steve Handley
(@steveh)
Adept
Topic starter  

@boo @steveh

Ive had a bike in my garage for 25 years and never found it to be a problem with woodwork. Bike gets cleaned in the driveway and only sits there, so why solve a problem that doesn’t exist. I made a flat pack box for spray painting mostly to keep dust away. All the bits unscrew and it stores flat when I don’t need it.

Hi @rocknroller912, thanks for your comments. Upon reflection, I'm  overstating thigs when I talk about a "partition wall".

I do find that I get sawdust pretty much everywhere in the garage, so I either need to do something about dust extraction, or find some way of confining sawdust. Doesn't actually need to be a wall, though; I'm sure that some decorators polythene sheeting would suffice (my garage is double length, but standard width, so it would be fairly easy to divide it).

It's not just the bike I'm trying to protect. At the moment, there's a thin layer of sawdust over pretty much everything (my garage tools, for example) in the garage and I'd rather there wasn't.

Tej, Koendb, mattbeels and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Steve Handley
(@steveh)
Adept
Topic starter  

Thanks for the welcome, everybody. I will set up a project page once I get going. I've got something in mind already 🙂

Tej, Koendb, mattbeels and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@steveh

Have to admit that I don’t do much power sanding these days after finding out what a mess it makes. I use mostly hand planes and scrapers. If I have to power sand I do it outside.

ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Rep Points: 16811

@steveh 

It's not just the bike I'm trying to protect. At the moment, there's a thin layer of sawdust over pretty much everything (my garage tools, for example) in the garage and I'd rather there wasn't.

Welcome to the group Steve, dust extraction is a good idea, that thin layer of dust gets into your lungs too, just something else to think about. I'm constantly hoovering my hut to try and keep the dust under control. My wife thinks it's strange behaviour and pointed out that I never think to hoover the sawdust that I trail into the house.

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

There is one amazing sander with dust extraction to help keep the dust out of your workshop. This one of mine is superb, Mirka orbital sander. It’s pneumatic but electric ones are available if you don’t have a compressor. Yes they are expensive but totally worth it in my opinion. Just hook it up to your shop vac and get sanding. 👍

46A932AA 5460 4134 8322 1DF13B40F69C

ReplyQuote
Bill Flude
(@frocesterbill)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 3827

I’ve got an electric Mirka - really like it - very controllable sanding.

Measure once........
Measure again.........
Sod it - make tea!

ReplyQuote
Bill Flude
(@frocesterbill)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 3827

The Mirka extraction hose is worth getting - same length as the mains lead and nice and flexible - plug hose and mains into vacuum and the extraction works really well……

Measure once........
Measure again.........
Sod it - make tea!

ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 5385

Posted by: @steveh

do find that I get sawdust pretty much everywhere in the garage, so I either need to do something about dust extraction

Get yourself an M class dust extractor for the sake of your lungs and so you keep the workspace dust free!

…on an elaborate journey to turn trees into music.

mattbeels, Boo, Koendb and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: