20 Likes
Pj
 Pj
(@pj)
Active Member Customer
Rookie
Rep Points: 12
Topic starter  
  1. Hello all, I’ve just finished making an octave mandolin and reasonably pleased with the results, though I enjoyed the build more than anything really. Im now debating whether to try my hand at a baritone acoustic guitar. Sorry if I sound daft, but I was wondering if the bridges etc. for a baritone are different to a normal acoustic? Also, I’d prefer to attach a tail piece to the guitar to attach the strings rather than the usual bridge and pins way. Sorry if I have got the terminology wrong, like I say I am very much an amateur. If anyone can recommend tailpiece and bridge attachments I’d be very grateful. I’ve attached a pic of the mandolin (I know it is far from perfect) 

swepri, tv1 and Russ reacted
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

Hi @PJ and welcome to the forum.

Congrats on finishing the mandolin build.  I don't think your pic attachment quite worked though, and we always like to see the photos of each other's work!

Have you seen a baritone acoustic (or any other instrument for that matter) with the sort of bridge design that you're thinking of, or is this your own vision?  What's your thinking about the benefits of that design?

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

swepri, Russ and Robin reacted
ReplyQuote
Pj
 Pj
(@pj)
Active Member Customer
Rookie
Topic starter  

@tv101 oh, I’ll try an upload my photo again, thanks for letting me know! 

I suppose the baritone part doesn’t have anything to do with it really, all I was thinking was that it would mean that I wouldn't have to glue the bridge/tail piece to the body and in the past I have had glued bridges with the peg system lift and start to come away from the body. With my mandolin I used a tail piece and a bridge that can be moved about as I found that when I strung it up I ended up needing to sand down the bridge a lot to lower the action (this is probably due to my imperfections in the making of it). Thought it might be handy to be able to move the bridge to help with intonation? Again, sorry I am very inexperienced with it all! 

swepri, Russ, Robin and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Pj
 Pj
(@pj)
Active Member Customer
Rookie
Topic starter  
Here is the mandolin uploaded (hopefully). I should also say that the bridge I mentioned that lifted was from tangle wood guitar I had and not one I made. 

Russ and tv1 reacted
ReplyQuote
Pj
 Pj
(@pj)
Active Member Customer
Rookie
Topic starter  
EB5E2AEC AF0C 4D1A 8C8F AFDAC7AEA7D2

@tv101 I can’t work out how to upload a picture of the mandolin. It doesn’t seem to work whatever I try!

This post was modified 8 months ago 3 times by Pj

swepri, Dan Hawkes, Robin and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

Posted by: @pj

I can’t work out how to upload a picture of the mandolin. It doesn’t seem to work whatever I try!

Something odd is certainly happening!

Usually, embedding pics here is a simple drag-and-drop process.  Find the pic you want to embed and then just drag it from your PC/Mac and drop it into the text box.  Don't use the the link icon on the toolbar of the textbox, just keep it simple!

That looks pretty neat to me, and it's clearly very comfortable!!

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

swepri, Robin and Russ reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: