6 Users
122 Likes
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Noble Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 2035
Topic starter  

An ad for this popped up on my facebook timeline.

I'm reserving judgement on whether it actually improves the sound at all, let alone enough to be worth the extra cost weight and hassle, but still interesting.

Deej, Boo, darrenking and 11 people reacted
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

I also saw this a while back but honestly didn’t pay much attention after they said it was aluminum. I‘m not a metallurgist so I obviously don’t know about different grades of the materials but alu doesn’t sound so long lasting to me. 

On the plus side it seems to make sense somehow and could possibly offer a sound benefit but personally I don’t see the need.

Has anyone here seen this wacky thing that turns your dreadnaught into a 12 string? That thing is an accident waiting to happen, I’ll see if I can find it...

Practice on scrap...

Deej, Boo, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

Unless it makes a guitar sound more like something made in 1959, then most guitarists aren't going to be interested ....

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Deej, Boo, mattbeels and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

I found it...

I would like to add that I think this thing is goofy as fook and has some obvious pitfalls but, progress right? 😆

Practice on scrap...

Deej, tv1, Robin and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier

but, progress right?

Hmmmmm ...

Deej, Robin, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

@tv101

yeah that’s why I put in the silly smiling emoji... 

Practice on scrap...

Deej, tv1, Robin and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Noble Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 2035
Topic starter  

@mattbeels
Somebody asked a question about refrets on their FAQ page, and the answers are interesting but not fully reassuring.
Apparently it is a pretty tough alloy, but they talk about (and give figures for) its strength, not it's hardness, while seemingly seeming to believe that it is in the same league as at least normal fretwire for hardness. It could just be that things are being lost in translation (English is not their first language) but they also mention that is has an "acceptable ease of machining" which makes me wonder.

The second interesting part is how they envisage a "refret", their idea is that you would just reduce the thickness of the fretboard pieces, exposing more fret.

I'm not convinced, but if nobody ever tried anything new we'd all be playing unamplified boxes with catgut stretched across them, so I view it as an interesting experiment if nothing else.

Has anyone here ever got their hands on a bond guitar with the stepped fretboard? I saw one in a shop many years ago but never got my hands on it.

Deej, Boo, tv1 and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

@jonhodgson

Yeah I doubt it’ll catch on but you never know. We all know that (until now at least) guitarists are rather conservative and tend to not embrace newer designs. This particular one is a bit radical and to me seems like an idea that will be a rather tough sell. I suppose it’s exclusive to that particular brand. Good luck to them though.

However I believe that we as guitarists are evolving (somewhat) with regards to the design of the instrument. Just look at all the headless and multiscale guitars on the market today and how popular and widely used they are. I know that headless and multiscale are nothing new but their widespread acceptance is.

Practice on scrap...

Deej, tv1, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 5112

Now THAT is going to be an expensive refret job!

I would always applaud innovation and technological advances but this isn’t doing much for the planet. Have they mentioned costs anywhere? Unless they are expecting to produce hundreds of thousands I can’t see that lump of CNC machined aluminium coming in at much under £1000!

Deej, mattbeels, tv1 and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

Now THAT is going to be an expensive refret job!

@darrenking That’s the first thing I thought. 

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

Deej, Robin, mattbeels and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier

However I believe that we as guitarists are evolving (somewhat) with regards to the design of the instrument. Just look at all the headless and multiscale guitars

I’ve got a multiscale / fanned fret guitar, mainly just because I wanted to try out something different.  It was oddly un-different to play, though people would always do a double-take and say “what’s that?”.

Compared to this “idea” though, a multi-scale is pretty tame.

Deej, Boo, Robin and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Deej
 Deej
(@deej)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 10929

I’ve got a multiscale / fanned fret guitar, mainly just because I wanted to try out something different.

I’ve had a couple of Djent customers who are obsessed with fanned frets ...can’t see the appeal personally but if that’s what they want !

I have too many guitars...said no one in the world..ever!

Robin, tv1, Boo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: