It turns out there ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

It turns out there is something worse than waiting two weeks for a package from the US

8 Posts
6 Users
84 Likes
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Noble Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 2035
Topic starter  

And that is waiting for two weeks for a package from the US only to find that somehow you managed to get 50% of the order totally wrong!
(There were only two items).

Net result being that I have no Keda Liquid dyes, and six times as much blue powder dye as I planned.

So if I ever decide to make guitars for sale, it seems they will be available in any colour so long as it's blue.

Deej, Rocknroller912, Robin and 11 people reacted
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 28611

Thats a Bummer @jonhodgson. Can I ask if you had to pay import duty and handling fees? 

Cheers,

Russ

🙂🎸🎶🙏

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

Deej, Robin, mattbeels and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34813

So if I ever decide to make guitars for sale, it seems they will be available in any colour so long as it's blue.

@jonhodgson Just put it down to experience Jon, we all feel a little blue sometimes. 

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

Deej, Robin, tv1 and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

That suuuuuux! Sorry Jon...

Practice on scrap...

Deej, Boo, Robin and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Noble Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 2035
Topic starter  

@russ

No, it may have slipped through because it was just a moderately sized envelope (if you posted the package in the UK it would qualify as a normal letter for the purposes of a stamp).

The pack was only powder dyes, one with all five colours (you mix them to create others) and one with the same amount but just blue (I meant to order the 5 colour pack of liquid dyes).

Which makes the $17 shipping fee all the more painful (the dye is only $18.99 a pack), hence my wanting to order both types of dye to experiment with (I think they can both achieve much the same colours when mixed correctly, but they mix with different things with the liquid one mixable into topcoats and sealers).

I really don't know what happened, maybe a glitch in their system, but more likely a misclick followed by a brain fart at my end!

At least I have the full set of powders, so I can experiment with them and topcoats.

I'll post my results here.

Deej, Boo, Robin and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
Rep Points: 28611

Cheers Jonathan.  @jonhodgson

🙏🎶🎸🙂

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

Deej, Boo, mattbeels and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

Which makes the $17 shipping fee all the more painful (the dye is only $18.99 a pack),

At least it wasn't financially too painful.

Still annoying though when you have to wait so long.

FWIW, I often think that international shipping costs are just ridiculously cheap when you consider the miles that something travels.  I remember buying stuff from eBay (99p sort of stuff) that would have "free" shipping from China.

That just can't be right!!

Always interested in seeing the results of experiments, so look forward to seeing what you do with the dyes that *did* arrive.

👍

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Deej, Boo, Robin and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@jonhodgson

Sometimes firms round up orders for low value small qty items to the size they are supplied in, known as "nearest unit qty" because it's not economical to split into smaller sizes.  The stores time involved doesn't pay for itself.

You could be the Henry Ford of the guitar making world any colour as long as it's blue, or you mix it with yellow and make green. Possibilities are endless, a bit of blue will change most colours.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Deej, mattbeels, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: