tell us about how y...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

tell us about how you started building guitars.  

Page 3 / 3
  RSS

Eddie6string
(@eddie6string)
Adept
Rep Points: 107
13/09/2020 9:03 pm  

@robin

Ha, my wife Cal, is (a) Carol!

John L (Boo), tv1010101, Deej and 1 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Deej
 Deej
(@deej)
Luthier
Rep Points: 2159
14/09/2020 8:17 pm  

I have been playing guitar (badly) for quite a number of years, playing in a number of bands and started building CBG’s (cigar box guitars) a few years back for a bit of fun.

About 5 years ago my daughter came across the Bailey build your own and design your own course on Udemy and bought it for my birthday. Thankfully they now have there own guitar making.co.uk site for courses.

I built my first guitar soon after getting the online course and the rest is history....

I was hooked and decided to take it further and go to the Bailey workshop a few times to hone my skills under @markbailey expert eye. Experiences that I will never forget.

Ive built a number of guitars since and even a few more CBG’s when someone’s asked.

Recently work had taken over and the builds stopped.....until lockdown and the live streams. These have helped get my mojo back and I’m hoping to get back into the garage/workshop and start building again very soon. I first need to tidy the space and plan some ideas. I still have 3-4 half built projects that still need completing so I will start with them first.

Deej

Russ, John L (Boo) and Robin liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Eddie6string
(@eddie6string)
Adept
Rep Points: 107
14/09/2020 8:42 pm  

@deej

Sounds ideal!

I popped in on the late Norman Reed who started the Totnes school of guitar making, a few times, but he was only teaching acoustic instruments at that time in 1980s.How short sighted I was, only focussed on Electric. 

Nice bloke and taught me a few things on intonation and action etc.

To have Mark Bailey within popping distance would be coolio!

Q: what's rule No 2)?

A place for everything and everything in it's place (then measure twice as to how long it took to tidy the workshop up???

Russ, Deej and John L (Boo) liked
ReplyReplyQuote
tv1010101
(@tv1010101)
Luthier
Rep Points: 2065
14/09/2020 8:59 pm  

until lockdown and the live streams. These have helped get my mojo back and I’m hoping to get back into the garage/workshop and start building again very soon.

The livestreams really do have the same effect on me.

🙂

I was in training in the first half of the year (training for retirement), so had plenty of time to have workshop time.  Life's a bit busier again now, but Saturdays are generally still workshop days.

Russ, Deej and John L (Boo) liked
ReplyReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 1122
14/09/2020 8:59 pm  

@eddie6string Hi Eddie,

You’d need to stick a vacuum gauge on to it to check the level of vacuum it generates. Does it run? If it gets up to around 80% vacuum then this would certainly be ok for laminating sides but you’d probably want more if having a go at an arch top lamination. I can’t see if it has an oil reservoir but if so it is likely to go up to around 99% and so should be good for pretty much everything.

Deej and John L (Boo) liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3