69 Likes
Norrie
(@norriemac)
Trusted Member Customer
Adept
Rep Points: 168
Topic starter  

Finally, finally COMPLETE!!!

This build has been on my mind for over a year. I have always been interested in woodwork. Built arcade cabinets, units and tools for my workshop. 

I decided I was going to build an OM acoustic for my son. He has been playing for nearly 8 years. I bought stewmac plans and began building all the components from scratch. Originally it was going to eagleman spruce top and olive wood for the back and sides. Now olive wood is great and all but it is a nightmare to bend the sides. In the end, I decided to keep the olive wood back but use french walnut for the sides and also the neck. Expensive project. Haha

After glueing the box, I came across Marks live videos on YouTube. I honestly wish I found this first. As I would have done things differently. I wouldn't have done binding for one. Haha.

Signed up back in September 22 and went through each step/re-watched to make certain complete.

Today I finished the final set up. I have left the action slightly high for the time being. Will most likely go back and lower the saddle and nut a smidge to suit my sons playing. 

It sounds great though, it's got nice sustain and the notes are very clear with no buzz. For a first build, I am super chuffed with the end result. So much better than any mid to high range guitar I have played in the past. Now my son will have an instrument from me and with the right care that should last a long time. Maybe even an heirloom. Come christmas, the guitar will be with its new owner. He better bloody like it.

Will I make another acoustic? Probably not, who knows. Will I make an electric? Damn straight I will.

I'm glad this project has come to an end but looking back at all the stress, mistakes, magivering jigs to fix mistakes. It was really fun and I'm glad I built an acoustic first. undefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefinedundefined 

So for the guitar:

Olive wood back, walnut sides and neck, eagleman spruce top. Headstock is olive wood and backstrap is walnut. Fretboard and bridge is ebony

Locking tuners, bone saddle/nut, evo gold frets. Brass rod side dots and brass tube fret inlays. Rich gogold dry transfer. Martin bridge pins and finally for strings I used martin 2.0 phosphor bronze.

Pictures below

Boo, tv1, Koendb and 3 people reacted
Norrie
(@norriemac)
Trusted Member Customer
Adept
Topic starter  
Screenshot 20221222 114245 Gallery
Screenshot 20221222 114226 Gallery
Screenshot 20221222 114235 Gallery
Screenshot 20221222 114258 Gallery
Screenshot 20221222 114312 Gallery
Screenshot 20221222 114322 Gallery

Boo, tv1, Koendb and 4 people reacted
ReplyQuote
NSJ
 NSJ
(@nsj)
Noble Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 2381

@norriemac congrats on the guitar, looks gorgeous! Acoustic is defo on my todo list at some point.

Boo, tv1, Koendb and 4 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Bpower
(@bpower)
Noble Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 3860

@norriemac Very cool. Well done. That back looks really cool. 🙂

Boo, tv1, Koendb and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 28661

Nice work @norriemac. Is it a leftie or have the pictures just reversed? 

🎶🎸🙂🙏

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

Boo, tv1, Koendb and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Norrie
(@norriemac)
Trusted Member Customer
Adept
Topic starter  
Thank you all. Well chuffed.

@russ, yes mate. It's a lefty.

@bpower, yeah I like the back aswell. Still got some of that species of wood left. Thinking of using it for an electric project next year. 

Boo, tv1, Robin and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 16819

@norriemac 

That looks fantastic, well done.

Boo, tv1, Koendb and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Clinton
(@clinton)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 4965

@norriemac top job gorgeous!

Boo, Norrie, tv1 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mikeyrjiom
(@mikeyrjiom)
Reputable Member
Semi Professional
Rep Points: 401

@norriemac

Nice work. There is a great amount of satisfaction when you finish your first build and an acoustic as well.

Trying to make a living out of a hobby doesn't work 🙂

Boo, Norrie, tv1 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 11547

@norriemac Very nice work! It looks really good!

Boo, Norrie, tv1 and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

Great work.

Acoustic builds always seem more "skilled craftsman" to me compared to electrics - it's the main reason I've never tried one.

So, congrats on that.  The back wood looks pretty wow - that's going to look great on your electric build.

👍

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Koendb, Boo, Norrie and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
cardiffborn
(@jonathan-auckland)
Estimable Member
Adept
Rep Points: 225

I was passing by, having not been here for a while, and just had to check out all the builds (especially acoustics).
I must admit that I was gobsmacked (really impressed) by your guitar. You've done a brilliant job here and it looks an absolutely beautiful guitar.  

I also watched Mark's videos twice, and made loads of mistakes, but have to admit that it was a great experience.

You should feel rightly proud of your achievement. Well done.

Koendb, Norrie, Robin and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: