586 Likes
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

@robin Ah very nice.

When sorting through your stuff, be ruthless. I did it with 20 years of stuff and quite a bit of what I've brought here, I've ended up getting rid of. 

Keep the most sentimental stuff, the rest get rid. Sell, pass on to others or charity shops. 👍

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

swepri, Russ and Robin reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 28661

The guitar sounds great on the wee video @robin. If you're moving from Falkirk to Dumbarton you should get yourself signed up for the course at Anniesland. It's only about a 20 minute drive. I'll be down in Falkirk today for the top of the league clash with Hamilton. 🤞⚽ 

🎸🙂🎶🙏

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

Boo, swepri and Robin reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Rep Points: 16819
Topic starter  

@russ 

I'll be down in Falkirk today for the top of the league clash with Hamilton

I'm in Polmont, about 3 miles from the Falkirk Stadium, your welcome to pop in after the game if want ( but not a whole coach load of yous obviously), a cup of tea and play on my new guitar.

Boo, swepri and Russ reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
Rep Points: 28661

Posted by: @robin

I'm in Polmont, about 3 miles from the Falkirk Stadium, your welcome to pop in after the game if want ( but not a whole coach load of yous obviously), a cup of tea and play on my new guitar.

I would @robin but I've got to head back up the road. Going out tonight. Sounds like I've got a hectic social life 🤣. Hope I can pop in sometime before you head to pastures new. My oldest son is back down living in Falkirk so I'm down regularly. 

🙏🎶🎸🙂

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

swepri, Boo and Robin reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@russ 

Hope I can pop in sometime before you head to pastures new. My oldest son is back down living in Falkirk so I'm down regularly. 

Another time then.

swepri, Boo and Russ reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

I'm enjoying playing my acoustic, it feels so comfortable, I think I've got the body size just right for me. There's just one wee niggle. I've put the strap button in the middle of the heal and with it being a cutaway body, the top is heavier that the bottom and it spins upside down when I pick it up. I want to move the button onto the body above the neck heal, but there's no strong point there the screw into, it'll be less than 2mm thick. On hindsight, l could've made the heel block a bit wider, I don't think that would affect the sound properties, would it?  I think I could still glue a small block in there if I make up a fancy clamp that'll reach in, does that sound practical and feasible?

20240226 174858

Bpower and Russ reacted
ReplyQuote
swepri
(@swepri)
Honorable Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 2556

@robin I have seen luthier Ted Woodford do something like that in a video (which I can't find now, among all his videos). Basically, he drilled a tiny hole where he wanted the strap button to be located. He then used his own special clamping device, made of a small block of wood and a tuner + string, from the outside to pull a small block on the inside while the glue hardened. The reinforcement block also had a hole for the string. Hard to explain.

Here is a link to his many excellent videos. Maybe you can find the "tuner clamp". https://www.youtube.com/@twoodfrd/videos

Dan Hawkes, Russ and Robin reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@swepri 

He then used his own special clamping device, made of a small block of wood and a tuner + string, from the outside to pull a small block on the inside while the glue hardened. The reinforcement block also had a hole for the string

Thanks for that, a great idea, I know exactly what you mean. I've seen a video somewhere of that clamp method being used on a repair. It's going to have to wait a while though, all my tools are boxed away getting ready to sell our house.

Russ reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 8 / 8
Share: