2 Users
2 Likes
syntholabo
(@syntholabo)
Trusted Member
Adept
Rep Points: 229
Topic starter  

So, I've been practising making a chunky rosette, made from maple floorboards.

I have 12 wedge pieces all glued together, and have just been drum sanding that, before proceeding to routing the final circle shapes on internal and external aspects.

What thickness should it be? I'm at about 1.5mm just now.

syntholabo
(@syntholabo)
Trusted Member
Adept
Topic starter  
IMG 2072
IMG 2076
IMG 2077
IMG 2078
IMG 2079

Russ and Russ reacted
ReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God

Looks GREAT!

1.5mm to 2mm is ideal thickness for a Rosette

Measure twice, cut once...

ReplyQuote
syntholabo
(@syntholabo)
Trusted Member
Adept
Topic starter  

Hey Mark, did you ever do a video for custom rosettes with the Dremmel jig?

I cannat find it

ReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God

@syntholabo

Hey dude...I am pretty sure I did film something but I can't find it either...I'll have a plough through the archive and see what turns up...meanwhile...

Looks like you have already made the wooden rosette and just need to install it:

Don't forget to apply sealer to the Rosette area for a cleaner cut...

1. Mark out guide marks for the inside and outside diameter of your wooden rosette using a compass or just a couple of marks with a ruler is OK.
  2. Set up the router somewhere in the middle (and half final depth) and work your way towards one of the lines - stay on the safe side of the line - then repeat the other way.
  3. Repeat at full depth. Now take the cutter down to full depth and repeat the process until your rosette has a 'sliding fit' - you can test with the actual Rosette or a separate tile if it is in pieces.
  4. If your hole comes out too big you can always pop a piece of BWB in there to fill up the gap (pretend you meant it ? ).
  5. Glue and continue as normal (use white glue as it will give you plenty of working time - If all else fails and it goes totally pear shaped it is better to remove all the pieces clean up with water, let dry and then try again.)

Measure twice, cut once...

ReplyQuote
Share: