5 Users
38 Likes
Marcel
(@marcel)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 3415
Topic starter  

Six years ago I decided it was time to make a 5-string bass.

Again I started with a full scale design.

And again It's got a swamp ash body and a wenge fretboard. But this one has a quilted maple top. The pick-up is a Nordstrand MM5.2 , this is the best bass pick-up I've ever heard.

GΓΆldo bridge and Gotoh tuners.

Β I tried to master the 5-string but I kept hitting the wrong strings, so after a couple of months I decided that 5 strings is not for me. A professional drummer I know from the local music scene, who also happens to be quite a good bass player, was interested to buy it. But being a professional musician he said he couldn't afford it. So I just gave it to him.

Β 

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception"
Groucho Marx

Robin, Russ, Boo and 7 people reacted
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

So I just gave it to him.

? ? ?Β 

? ? ?Β 

? ? ?Β 

?

@david-johnson09 will be along again in a minute wanting to make friends ...

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Boo, Deej, Boo and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

Marcel

I think that a common theme with professional musicians, they have never got any money and usually manage to get things for free because people feel sorry for them. I've just traded a job for free jazz guitar lessons.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Boo, tv1, Deej and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Deej
 Deej
(@deej)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 10929

@david-johnson09 will be along again in a minute wanting to make friends ...

Cheeky...

I have too many guitars...said no one in the world..ever!

Boo, tv1, Boo and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

I tried to master the 5-string but I kept hitting the wrong strings, so after a couple of months I decided that 5 strings is not for me. A professional drummer I know from the local music scene, who also happens to be quite a good bass player, was interested to buy it. But being a professional musician he said he couldn't afford it. So I just gave it to him.

@marcel Again, an amazing bass guitar and such a kind person you are, gifting it to a fellow musician. I had a Honer Jack headless 5 string bass years ago, I had fun with it but I do prefer a 4 string.Β 

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

tv1, Deej, tv1 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

I think that a common theme with professional musicians, they have never got any money and usually manage to get things for free because people feel sorry for them. I've just traded a job for free jazz guitar lessons.

@rocknroller912 I think it goes beyond professional musicians, I think guitar makers can fall into that trap too. I am always skint because of guitar building but I am starting to sell some now. If I’m not buying more guitar bits or woods, I’m buying new tools or materials to make them.Β 

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

tv1, Deej, tv1 and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Marcel
(@marcel)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 3415
Topic starter  

I had a Honer Jack headless 5 string bass years ago,

i had a Hohner headless 4 string bass many years ago. It was a surprisingly good sounding bass for not too much money (if I remember correctly I bought it second hand for € 275). In this case it wasn't the number of strings that confused me but the absence of a headstock. I constantly had the idea that my left hand was in the wrong position.

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception"
Groucho Marx

tv1, Deej, Boo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: