There seems to be s...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

There seems to be some strings missing!!

4 Posts
4 Users
34 Likes
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 5112
Topic starter  

Hi peeps,

I have just been asked by an old friend if I have ever built a bass guitar to which I answered ‘not yet’! Are there any real basics I should consider with regard to body/neck materials? I am guessing that the neck might need to be at the strong end of species options (maple?) but are the same body materials used as for 6 string electrics (mahogany/khaya etc) or is there a strong preference for something else in bass building?

Any suggestions/tips greatly appreciated. And don’t worry @TV10101, this guy plays unreconstructed punk (as he has done since the 1970’s!) so no hint of any jazz tones required on this one!!

Cheers guys

Darren

tv1, Robin, Koendb and 7 people reacted
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34813

@darrenking I don’t know Darren, I haven’t built one yet either. I would imagine it is all the same materials used as standard in guitar building. My Squire J Bass has a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard, not sure what the body is. 
I do want to build a bass soon too. After painting this one recently, and restringing it, I’ve been playing it and loved it. I want to come up with my own design and just build the thing. I will need a couple of new tools though, a longer straight edge and longer notched straight edge. 

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

tv1, Robin, Koendb and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@darrenking

Ive never built a bass but I was doing research for a friend who wants to create a replica Fender Music Master bass that was his first one in the 70s. I found that they were built from a standard Fender body with a 30 inch scale length and even with a 6 string pick up. Only produced for 2 years according to google, but I think it shows you can use standard materials.

Are you looking for off the shelf plans or designing your own.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

tv1, Robin, Koendb and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

Hey Darren!

I’ve only got the one bass - maple neck, swamp ash body.  

Bassists often seem to be more creative with their designs and woods (presumably to make up for their less creative playing 😆 ) so you could try something more artistic with some ply perhaps?

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Boo, Robin, Russ and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: