Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 11547
Topic starter  

And It has begun!

Gibson FlyingV 1958

This is roughly where I want to go with this. It does need to be an exact replica, but I really want to catch that vibe.

IMG 20210304 130033862
IMG 20210304 130341699

Light Samba wood for the body and sipo neck blank. I also ordered an African rosewood fretboard, but it just doesnt look right for this build. I will put that away in my stash and use another , darker fretboard blank.
I ordered a 50mm neck blank and I originally thought of making a 10º angled headstock.
Later I decided to actually make a scarfjoint with a 12º angle.

Today, I had the opportunity to visit a guitar building friend. He recently acquired a jointer/planer and I had some wood that needed to be cut, planed and prepared for glueing. 

IMG 20210515 152059355 HDR

He also has a bandsaw and since I never actually had the opportunity to work with one, this was a perfect moment to gain some experience with that as well.

186503295 304027768023382 4862373070699590131 n

After cutting the neck blank, we planed both pieces flat, and brought the headstock part to thickness.

IMG 20210515 233019209

I will cut a 12º angle in both blanks with my mitersaw for the scarf joint.
Last week , I also made a 12º angle headstock sanding jig for this.

IMG 20210515 233225993

We also planed some roughly cut fretboard blanks and now I have to decide which one to use for this build.

IMG 20210515 233133125
IMG 20210515 233116268

Not sure yet which one to use. The left one has a beautiful grain structure, the right one is a lot darker and I am not sure which one I prefer. Contrast or grain figure. I am leaning more towards the darker fretboard at this moment.

Most hardware has been ordered from www.crazyparts.de.
My hope is that the weight of better quality hardware will compensate the light samba wood, in order to avoid potential neck dive.
Not sure if I am throwing away money or if it is a wise decision.
The only thing I haven't ordered yet, is a headstock veneer ( not sure if I want one ), pickups, pots and knobs.
Pickups will be Iron Gear  Blues Engines.

whyte, Tej, Deej and 11 people reacted
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

It does need to be an exact replica

It does NOT need to be  an exact replica!  However, we DO need a working edit function here 😝

Tej, Deej, Boo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

Nice @koendb! I’m a huge fan of the V and will be making some soon (hopefully!) I also really like dark fretboards so that would be my choice.

crazyparts.de is a cool store, they are the right place for all that period correct vintage stuff and they definitely have all the parts for a ‘58 V.

I much prefer the body of the ‘58 more than what’s come after and back in Febuary I had some custom templates done up. Mine is basically the ‘58 shape with a couple small tweaks to make it more my own...

Practice on scrap...

ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 28651

Looking forward to seeing this one @koendb. 👍😁 

🙏🎸🎶🙂

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

Today, I had the opportunity to visit a guitar building friend. He recently acquired a jointer/planer and I had some wood that needed to be cut, planed and prepared for glueing. 

Very handy having friends like that!  Hope he doesn't live too far away as I can see there being many similar visits in future ...

Pickups will be Iron Gear  Blues Engines.

Excellent choice.  Those are great pickups.  Not just great "for the money".

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

Today I glued the body blanks. It is not 100% straight unfortunately, there is a slight level difference from back to front, but only about 0.5 mm or so. Oh well a little bit more sanding work later on.

IMG 20210516 103439612

I also did cut the scarf joint with my miter saw. My first cuts where not very straight, especially in the thinner headstock part.
It took a few attempts before I realized I needed to check if the blank was indeed 90º angled against the base plate of the miter saw. My jig is not accurate enough. Oh well I'll build a better one when I have the time.

I managed to get a rather clean cut except for the last few centimeters. I used a hand saw to cut off the remainder.
Of course I forgot to take pictures on the sanding of the scarf joint in my newly made jig., But I managed to straighten the cut lines and surface with quite a bit of sanding.
Attaching the scarf joint , I found, was the hardest part , I really struggled keeping everything in place while drilling the holes for the temporary screws.

IMG 20210516 110427076 HDR
IMG 20210516 130343321 PORTRAIT

After a dry run, the headstock is glued on.

IMG 20210516 144232673 PORTRAIT
IMG 20210516 144240282 PORTRAIT

In the meanwhile I also made a headstock template from the master template, Just need to do the trussrod hole, cut straight at the nut and drill the tuner holes, but for that , I am going to wait until I received the tuners.
Over and out for this week I think.

IMG 20210516 154648094 PORTRAIT
IMG 20210516 154657833 PORTRAIT

tv1, Tej, Deej and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

Looking good @koendb! How did you keep the cauls from slipping around on the body while gluing up?

I forgot to include a photo of my headstock templates. I also had a Hamer style control cavity done. I had a designer work up the files and the templates were produced by @darrenking.

Practice on scrap...

ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

I should also point out that Darren had to clean the files up as they were, err a bit fooked! Plus he produced that third headstock template as well as the idea for it came after the files were done. Any guesses as to what it’s for?

Practice on scrap...

ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

How did you keep the cauls from slipping around on the body while gluing up?

@mattbeels I put some double sided tape , which prevented the cauls from slipping, they still slip a bit, but only until they firmly grip. Just tightening the clamps little by little and reseat the body blanks if needed, after a few twists, nothing moves anymore.

ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

Hey all,

Question: I realize that the bridge I ordered ( an old style ABR Gibson bridge), comes with directly mountable posts.
This is of course time correct. However , in combination with the soft samba wood, I wonder if this is a good combination.
Is it better to use more modern post studs in which you screw the posts in this case? or should I be alright with the directly mounted posts?

ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

Any guesses as to what it’s for?

@mattbeels, oh come on man! don't keep us in suspense like that! what is it for? (different nut widths? )

ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

Hah, a little suspense is a good thing @koendb. The first two have different nut widths, 43 and 45mm. I was talking about the third one, it has something else going on...

Practice on scrap...

ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

it has something else going on...

hmm I have no idea 🙂

ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

@koendb

I’m not familiar with samba wood, have you checked it’s hardness with other woods used for guitar bodies? Gibson used the ABR 1 on the original V which is Limba, the Les Paul which has the maple cap (no problem there) and I’m pretty sure in the SG which would be mahogany.

Since you won’t have a carved top like a LP your bridge shouldn’t be too high off of the body so it probably won’t lean forward much, but using a Nashville bridge would be a safe bet.

I’d check the wood hardness to get an idea and then go from there. If you go with the ABR 1 and it causes problems over time you could always replace it with a Nashville. 

Practice on scrap...

tv1, Tej, Deej and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

Very nice indeed @koen keep going. 👏👏👏👏

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

tv1, Tej, Deej and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Deej
 Deej
(@deej)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 10929

Looking good @koendb

I have too many guitars...said no one in the world..ever!

tv1, mattbeels, Tej and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

Yesterday, I put my fret slot cutting jig on a piece of mdf and added 2 clamps to hold the fretslot template and fretboard firmly in position.
Up for the first test: Flying V fretboard

IMG 20210518 235540434 PORTRAIT
IMG 20210518 235531784 PORTRAIT

With my previous build I ended up with all my frets being at a slight angle, despite using templates and jig (One of the reasons I wanted to add  clamps). Luckily I was able to correct that situation then.
But this time I made sure my cuts where straight by regularly checking. This is waaay better now.

IMG 20210519 004856014 PORTRAIT

Tej, tv1, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

Today I received some bling bling from Germany 😎

IMG 20210519 114043676 PORTRAIT

All the other stuff should arrive fairly soon as well. oooh I cannot wait , this is going to be soo good (If I dont mess up too much ) 🙂

Tej, tv1, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

Good to hear that your fret slots are coming out better this time @koendb! How do you like the products from TLC? I’ve been considering getting some stuff from them.

Practice on scrap...

Tej, tv1, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

How do you like the products from TLC?

The stuff In that last picture was all from crazyparts, since they are more specialized in this kind of stuff , but TLC in holland is a real good supplier as well. It is my goto shop. Quality wise, it is up there with all other luthier suppliers, although they dont do much with regards to tonewood, but tools, materials & supplies are good quality. They also provide custom services for decals, neckplates, etc.. Very friendly and helpful all the time.

If I don't find it there, I ll go to G&W in Portugal as a second option
Usually I shop a bit around, but I end up almost 80% of the time with either these two companies.

Tej, tv1, Boo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share: