mattbeels, Tej and Russ liked
ReplyReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 4247
06/05/2021 2:52 pm  

Is it the same setup as Mark's Bandsman? 

I hadn't thought of that. I'll check. Sorry if this is a really basic question but this is my first electric build and I was a bit thrown by this being the one configuration not shown on the Ironbridge website.

Cheers

Darren

ReplyReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 4247
06/05/2021 3:08 pm  

Thanks for the diagram @jonhodgson and it would be great if my wires were the same colours 🤣 🤣

From the single coil PUP I have red, white and a shield (the box says white and shield to ground) and from the humbucker I have white and green (already taped), red, black stranded and black solid. The packaging for the humbucker mentions 'the enclosed leaflet' but I don't seem to have one. It does say that the red is the 'Hot' wire. Should both of the black conductors get soldered to ground?

Cheers

Darren

ReplyReplyQuote
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Luthier
Rep Points: 1880
06/05/2021 4:30 pm  

@darrenking in that diagram the ground wires are green and the hot wires are black.

The black stranded is I assume a shield, so it goes to ground. It's a pretty fair bet that black solid goes to ground

Though really with a passive pickup there isn't a fixed ground wire (the shield is fixed to ground, but that is independent of the actual pickup wiring). The ground is the one you decide to make ground, if you flip one pickup' wiring around it won't break, it will just be out of phase and you'll get a thinner sound in the middle position. A La Peter Green (though in his case it happened because the pickup was physically turned around).

ReplyReplyQuote
Page 12 / 12