Estimable Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 1765
Topic starter  
A91E71E3 BC93 4822 BC08 3958ED4CC2AA
153FA805 6A04 4805 B754 81AC017BF324
5544A80C 4FD4 4591 953E 0FE78C1E2088
237D6D86 DEB6 45BE 9312 CB9DC18B3E9B

It took almost as long to separate the two templates as it did to route them as the double sided tape didn’t want to let go.

I’m a bit worried about copy routing the pointy bits, any advice on avoiding tear out on those areas. And yes I now see why the bandsman is a great idea for a beginner 🙂

mattbeels, Russ, Boo and 3 people reacted
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

It took almost as long to separate the two templates as it did to route them as the double sided tape didn’t want to let go.

Forgive me if you know this already, but sometimes a "twisting" movement between the two pieces can unstick them more easily than trying to pull them apart.

If that still doesn't work, open a small gap between them with a Stanley knife, then work something thin and longer into the gap (I often use one of my metal rulers).

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

mattbeels, cheesewhisk, Boo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 28656

I’m a bit worried about copy routing the pointy bits,

Looks great @cheesewhisk. I'd probably rout up to near the edges and finish it off by hand with a sanding block. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

🙂🎶🎸🙏

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

mattbeels, cheesewhisk, Boo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

I’m a bit worried about copy routing the pointy bits, any advice on avoiding tear out on those areas.

Usual rules - take small depth of cuts with each pass and - if your router has a speed control - go slow.  Trim the piece as much as safely possible on the bandsaw (or whatever else you've got) so that the router is only trimming the last couple of mm.

For the pointy bits, I'd probably start at the tip and work away from there for an inch or so.  Once you get away from the tips then you can use the router as you normally would (ie rout against the rotation of the cutter).

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Russ, mattbeels, cheesewhisk and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Noble Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 2035

I don't know quite what it is about the explorer, but it's probably my favourite "radical" guitar shape.

It's "wrong" for a guitar (says the guy who plays a headless!), but somehow very balanced aesthetically.

tv1, cheesewhisk, Boo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
cheesewhisk
(@cheesewhisk)
Luthier
Topic starter  

Thanks guys.

@tv101 I'll give twisting a go next time, seems obvious now you say it but that's probably the same about a lot of thing. I went with a metal ruler then screw driver in the end, maybe a bit less tape next time too.

I trimmed the template on the band saw down to the last couple of mm so that seems like the way to go cheers.

Is that what the call a 'climb cut'?

Russ, mattbeels, Boo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 5112

as the double sided tape didn’t want to let go

You could also consider screwing them onto the blank using screw positions that correspond to the pick up cut outs or control knob holes (if these haven't already been machined that is).

tv1, Tej, mattbeels and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
jamesalexandermcmillan
(@jamesalexandermcmillan)
Estimable Member
Adept
Rep Points: 176

...also tear out depends on the grain at the pointy bits. Better to go with the grain rather than against I would think. 

I like the rd artist shape that’s a bit less pointy than an explorer but I gave both and like both. Jim

tv1, Tej, Boo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

Explorers are awesome. I like Firebirds and RD’s too but Explorers are just so James Hetfield for me. But my favorite has always been the Flying V. It’s just so... symmetrical and super badass. I also love the Star, I have to get some templates done up for one of those. There’s probably nothing more 80’s than a kick ass Star and I love the 80’s. 

Practice on scrap...

tv1, Tej, Boo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 5385

@cheesewhisk Looks great! I finished the body template for my less spiky bandsman. Looking forward to the finished article you create here!

It looks like you’ve made a pattern from the pattern, was that just to test it or am I missing something here?

…on an elaborate journey to turn trees into music.

cheesewhisk, tv1, mattbeels and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

@tej

I’m assuming that he made a working template from the master. You should always make a copy and use that and keep the master for making more when your template either gets worn or bungled.

Practice on scrap...

cheesewhisk, Russ, Tej and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 5385

@mattbeels 🙂 I’d just watched that in one of the videos too, I’m gonna need more MDF!

…on an elaborate journey to turn trees into music.

tv1, Russ, mattbeels and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God

I’m a bit worried about copy routing the pointy bits, any advice on avoiding tear out on those areas.

You can 'Back Route' the corners to prevent break out:

Route as normal until you are close to the dodgy corner then skip past and then and route backwards around the corner - continue roting forward until you reach the next tricky corner and repeat.

When profiling:

forward = clockwise

Back Route = anti clockwise

keep the back routed area to a minimum as the router will tend to feel more unstable and may 'snatch' so take extra care in these areas.

Practice on scrap - I realoiise there is only so much you can do as every bit of wood is different but at least you can get used to the feeling odf 'Back Routing'

Good luck!

Measure twice, cut once...

Tej, Boo, cheesewhisk and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

I’m gonna need more MDF!

Yup @tej. Just like tools, we always need more! 

Practice on scrap...

Boo, tv1, Russ and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

Hello there @markbailey, how are you? I hope all is well on your end!

Practice on scrap...

Boo, tv1, Russ and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 28656

@markbailey. Good to see you back on the forum Mark. Hope all is well with you. 

🎸🙂🎶🙏

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

Boo, mattbeels, cheesewhisk and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
cheesewhisk
(@cheesewhisk)
Luthier
Topic starter  

Thanks @markbailey I should have a decent amount to test on once I cut out the body.

I hope you are well, we're all thinking about you. 

ReplyQuote
cheesewhisk
(@cheesewhisk)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@tej like Mat says and Mark suggests, make a master then a copy from that so if and when you hack into it you have a backup master. 

@mattbeels you know me and my bandsaw / router skills, it's a 'kind of master' but one straight edge is utter balls because I cut too close on the band saw. Thankfully I used a complete straight edge to copy route all the actual straight edges onto the template.

ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

I used a complete straight edge to copy route all the actual straight edges onto the template.

Well done @cheesewhisk, as long as you got there in the end. Did you then make a backup, is that what’s in the photo?

Practice on scrap...

ReplyQuote
cheesewhisk
(@cheesewhisk)
Luthier
Topic starter  

Cheers @mattbeels yeah so for the master I used straight edges and cut close to the lines with the bandsaw then sanded the curves. Then I used that to make a copy but used a straight edge instead of the master to fix the edge. If you look at the photo of them stuck together you can see the X's X's I scribbled on to remind me that bit was wonky.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: