1 Users
4 Likes
John
 John
(@johnbarr2004)
Enthusiast
Rep Points: 31
Topic starter  

My band mate asked if I could build him a 12 string Tele. The only instruction I had was "it must be purple". :s  His budget was small so I based the guitar on this £100 kit from Gear4Music  https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/12-String-Knoxville-Electric-Guitar-DIY-Kit/WT0

The body and neck are about the only parts to make it into the final build.

This piece of wood had been sitting in my workshop for forever. It was too thin to use as a top so I decided to make a wooden scratchplate.

Next up was the belly carve.

Now time to stain the wood, starting with a test. The body had several blemishes caused by glue spots, requiring sanding and re-staining.

Then the body was treated with several coats of Truoil.

The neck was surprisingly good for an inexpensive kit. The neck was straight and the frets level. I tidied the fret ends and filed the nut slots, which were ridiculously high.

A Seymour Duncan hotrails pickup was added in the bridge position (which required a new bridge). This pickup was slightly wider than the original, so a quick rout was required and the electrics were wired.

And the finished project.

I much prefer building a guitar from blocks of wood, using the skills I learned on the Bailey on-line course, but basing a build on a kit can be a very cost effective way of building a guitar that looks good and plays well.

Russ, mark bailey, Russ and 1 people reacted
Share: