17 Users
2172 Likes
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

Reverse Headstock looks funky and has some harmonic benefits according to some.

@eddie6string It looks great Eddie, I love reverse headstocks too, same as @mattbeels and for the same reasons. I haven’t heard about the tone being different or better though. Yeah, a brand would definitely be something to get, I’ve though about it too. 

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

Deej, Bill Flude, tv1 and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Eddie6string
(@eddie6string)
Noble Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 1551

Some say it allows the guitar wood to interact/vibrate more with the lower strings - how they know, I  can't guess?!?

Branding iron used on every Body & Neck!

If I could get consistent results, I'd use it where visible

20210202 180759

Likeakite, Clinton, Deej and 17 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Peebee
(@peebee)
Estimable Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 1416
Topic starter  

So managed to get sometime in the garage and I actually started the real guitar. Did a few bits to the neck and marked out the body.

Here are a couple of pics of the neck, truss rod channel routed and the headstock angle cut.

The routing went ok, I tried with the vacuum connected to the router but the hose kept dragging and I was worried that the router would pull off line so disconnected it.....ironically the cable then caught on the vacuum and pulled the router to one side, however, the error was not full depth or that long and will be covered by the fret board so will be fine.

You practice on scrap and it seems straight forward, put a bit of mahogany in front of you and turn to jelly, measure 80 times and rout badly once!

08DA017C FE61 4B28 87B2 CD65620738BF
542F79D0 0825 4C0F 9AE0 34C42EC539EC
9BE7E167 777B 4423 88C4 467BFB8BF5FC

Give up the news folks, it’s liberating!

Likeakite, Deej, Bill Flude and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

It would be useful to have a DM facility amongst members, but I guess you'd have to have a 'block ' option too.

@eddie6string

I think the Private Message option used to be here, but it's currently on the non-functioning list, together with the edit button!

For instance;

I'm about to spend £K1 on a new storage shed, someone might know of a better deal etc...

Depends on what sort of shed you're after.  I've always used dunsterhouse.co.uk for garden buildings.  Some I've put up myself (no issues), others I've paid for them to put up (which they do ridiculously efficiently).  

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Deej, Bill Flude, Russ and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 16819

@peebee

however, the error was not full depth or that long

That'll be the truss rod slot learning curve that you've routed there. I'm fairly sure that we've all got one of these hidden under a fretboard, you're next one will be perfect.

Deej, Bill Flude, tv1 and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Peebee
(@peebee)
Luthier
Topic starter  

Thanks @Robin. Picked up a nice thick plank of mahogany today. I would really like to make a les Paul replica, bound, in Desert Burst finish, not sure that’ll be next though!

ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier

That'll be the truss rod slot learning curve that you've routed there.

😆 @robin!

Deej, Bill Flude, Peebee and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
rockpile99
(@rockpile99)
Reputable Member Customer
Semi Professional
Rep Points: 494

Never seen a truss rod yet that wasn't a bit thicker at the headstock end - by the time you've 'nibbled out' for that your 'learning opportunity' will be even less noticable. 🙂

I tried dust extraction on first truss rod route and had similar issues with the vac hose. For the amount of wood actually being removed I decided I could easily live without extraction...

Guitar making is the art and science of turning expensive wood into sawdust.

Deej, tv1, Peebee and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Peebee
(@peebee)
Luthier
Topic starter  

Truss rod is in and the small mahogany bead glued in on top now. Hopefully get the Fret Board Glued on tomorrow then it’ll never show!

Had another learning opportunity  today when I profiled the neck and tipped the router, will get away with the damage when I carve the neck, annoying though especially as I should have used the router table instead! Still the next guitar will be better........hopefully.

Deej, Bill Flude, Robin and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier

Still the next guitar will be better.

It always is @peebee - no matter how many you make, the next one is always better.  At least, that’s been my experience.  

I reckon, if I make enough, I’ll eventually get one “right” !

Deej, Bill Flude, Robin and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

Still the next guitar will be better

@peebee Of course it will be better, you live and learn my virtual friend. Just keep building and learning and everything will be ok. Enjoy it. “Don’t try and make a perfect guitar, just make a guitar.” 

ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@peebee

I'm planning to make a Les Paul replica later on in this year as well. I already have the flame top, pick ups, body blank, plans and some part made templates from clear plastic which I'm going to use to make plywood routing templates.  Happy to swap ideas if you like.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Deej, Bill Flude, tv1 and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Peebee
(@peebee)
Luthier
Topic starter  

Thanks Boo, experience is the greatest teacher and I already know how to do it differently next time to improve the process. What is difficult to appreciate, until you try it, is just how good at routing Mark is.

Deej, mattbeels, Robin and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Peebee
(@peebee)
Luthier
Topic starter  

Thanks @Rocknroller912, yeah that would be great, be keen to see your progress and pick your brain as it progresses. I am unsure yet whether to make this my next build or have another go at the one I'm doing now, but with some different woods and P90s. My main concern is the finish and I can imagine getting the whole guitar done and then ruining an expensive piece of flame maple at the end with a crappy finish.

Deej, Bill Flude, mattbeels and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Peebee
(@peebee)
Luthier
Topic starter  

Here are a couple more progress pics. There's a good shot here of the router mishap!

IMG 0022
IMG 0024
IMG 0023

Likeakite, Deej, Bill Flude and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@peebee

If you don't have plans for the Les Paul replica I can make some paper templates and send them. Could also make a second set of router templates but they might be pricey to send.

Finishing flame maple can be difficult due to its grain which gets rougher the more pronounced the the flame. You could go for light flame and bring it out more by staining the whole thing and sanding back as stain soaks more into the dark bits. Grain filling is also important on open pore woods and you need a mirror finish before applying any lacquer or varnish. I'm sure Mark could advise you on this.

Your pics are looking good. Are you going to patch the router mistake or just leave it.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
Rep Points: 28659

Here are a couple more progress pics. There's a good shot here of the router mishap!

Looking good @ peebee. Good choice of place to make your mistake. Only you will know it's there........ .oh, and all of us. 😁 

🙂🎸🙏🎶

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

ReplyQuote
Peebee
(@peebee)
Luthier
Topic starter  

@Rocknroller912, I am going to leave the router mistake, its not full depth so wont make much difference really, just annoying. Thanks for the offer of paper templates, that would be great, let me know how much, I will make mdf templates from them. Looking forward to your build!

Deej, tv1, Boo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

@peebee

I agree that mistakes are annoying, but don’t worry! You’re bound to be making a few more anytime now and then you’ll forget all about that truss rod slot, problem solved! 😆

@rocknroller912 Do you guys live so far away from each other? I’m thinking that postage on some proper templates can’t be that bad?

Practice on scrap...

Deej, tv1, Russ and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

That’s a good point @mattbeels, it’s not expensive to send stuff via courier in the UK. But, both people have to be in the UK 🤣 I know @rocknroller912 is in the UK but is @peebee

Deej, tv1, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 8 / 10
Share: