Deej, tv1, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

@peebee and @rocknroller912 I send stuff up and down the UK all the time with couriers, they come to your door to pick stuff up and take them to where they need to be and it’s pretty cheap. You could probably send a set of templates for about £10, maybe less. I have a Hermes account, a DPD account, a Parcelforce account etc. 

I sent a bandsaw to @robin for about £20 

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

tv1, Robin, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

@boo

That’s right, you posted that saw and if it was only £20 then I would think that a set of templates should be cheaper then a 10er, right? Hell,  Darren just sent me a set of Flying V templates to Germany and that only cost around £17 so I think it’s definitely worth it. Better then dicking around with paper when you could have the real thing for the price of postage.

Which reminds me: I was thinking that it could be a cool idea to have a template sharing/exchange for members here. We want to help each other out, right? I thought about posting this sooner but forgot about it, ooops.

I’m pretty sure everyone here would be willing to blast off a template or two for the cost of shipping and handling and a beer-o? Not all over the world but those of us in Europe and the UK perhaps?

What do y’all think?

Practice on scrap...

Deej, tv1, Boo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@peebee

@mattbeels

Paper templates will be easy enough to send I wouldn't even want anything for sending them (big fat Govt pension ha ha)

@boo

Couriers are easy if you have an account but they are not easy for one off customers and I don't sent much so always use the Post Office. A few years ago I had to return a motorcycle battery bought on Amazon- impossible to send hazardous without an account. Had to take it to work and give it to the mechanic.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Deej, tv1, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@mattbeels

I would be up for sharing any resources that are not available on the Bailey web site, but would be careful not to undermine anything that Mark is doing. I have templates for a few things I've already made mostly acoustic and not all guitars. 

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Deej, tv1, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

@rocknroller912

Yes of course, I wouldn’t suggest/support copying a Bandsman but I have other templates that I can offer. It’s not a big deal, I doubt this would turn into a huge thing. But a template here and there could be cool. I don’t know, just an idea.

Practice on scrap...

Deej, Rocknroller912, tv1 and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Peebee
(@peebee)
Estimable Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 1416
Topic starter  

@Rocknroller912 paper is fine by me.

Give up the news folks, it’s liberating!

Deej, mattbeels, tv1 and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Peebee
(@peebee)
Luthier
Topic starter  

I'm in the UK, Northamptonshire, by the way. Don't know how to pass on address?

My email is Peebee0019@googlemail.com

Deej, mattbeels, tv1 and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

Couriers are easy if you have an account but they are not easy for one off customers and I don't sent much so always use the Post Office.

@rocknroller912 It doesn’t cost anything to have an account and you don’t have to be a business to have one. Hermes especially is geared up towards the domestic market, especially because of covid. You may not use it a lot now but I have found myself using it more and more now I’m in contact with fellow guitar builders etc, up and down the UK and abroad. Even if you don’t t use it a lot, it doesn’t cost you anything for it to lie dormant until you do. It’s got full tracking, it’s so easy to use. 👍

Deej, mattbeels, tv1 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

I was thinking that it could be a cool idea to have a template sharing/exchange for members here. We want to help each other out, right?

@mattbeels Yep, I’m up for it, sounds good to me. 👍 Same as others have said, so long as it doesn’t take anything away from @markbailey I don’t see any harm in sharing resources. 👍

Deej, mattbeels, tv1 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

Couriers are easy if you have an account but they are not easy for one off customers and I don't sent much so always use the Post Office. A few years ago I had to return a motorcycle battery bought on Amazon- impossible to send hazardous without an account. Had to take it to work and give it to the mechanic.

@rocknroller912 - I used Hermes for ages before I bothered to set up an account with them.

Easy to book a collection online, and they've always been 100% reliable for me.  They rely on self-employed people for the home collection/delivery part of their service.  If you get a good one, they're very good (ours gets a bottle of wine every Christmas - but then we probably see her 2-3 times a week!).

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Deej, Boo, mattbeels and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@mattbeels

I think it's a great idea. Sometimes for beginners plans in two dimensions are difficult to interpret so tips from a person who has built one are great. They don't give you the kind of details that Mark shows on the live streams like string height at the bridge.

Deej, mattbeels, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@peebee

Thanks I will send you an email so you can get mine. It will be Spring/Summer maybe before I start serious work but I will be looking for light jobs next week when I get my stitches out (yippee). Probably try and send them rolled in a tube.

Deej, Peebee, mattbeels and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@boo

@tv101

Thanks I used couriers a lot when I was working mostly taking deliveries as I was purchasing officer in a big organisation. We took several deliveries every day from all the UK firms. Hermes are OK for private individuals but big organisations don't like them because there is no ID no, company vehicle, no paperwork, no uniform. Courier theft is amazingly common. I lost £700 floor paint once stolen by Palletways part of the Currie Group. The receipt was signed by a person who had left three years before. Never found it.

Deej, mattbeels, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Deej
 Deej
(@deej)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 10929

I was thinking that it could be a cool idea to have a template sharing/exchange for members here. We want to help each other out, right?

Sounds a good idea. I got contacted by someone in America that saw one of my builds on YouTube. I sent him a couple of paper templates for next to nothing. The guy even sent me them back!

I have too many guitars...said no one in the world..ever!

Boo, Russ, mattbeels and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Deej
 Deej
(@deej)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 10929

@peebee enjoyed the thread so far and look forward to the completed guitar. Loving the grain on the neck...

I have too many guitars...said no one in the world..ever!

Boo, Russ, mattbeels and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Peebee
(@peebee)
Luthier
Topic starter  

At last some progress today. Decorating had taken over but that is done now so back to the geet.

My first proper carve, fretting and fitting of inlays / side dots. On the whole it went well, no major issues, all due to Marks excellent course!

20210319 154809
20210319 145015
20210319 145007
20210319 153403

Likeakite, mattbeels, Boo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 11547

That looks pretty darn good to me @peebee!

Deej, mattbeels, Boo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
Rep Points: 28644

My first proper carve, fretting and fitting of inlays / side dots.

Very neat @peebee. You wouldn't know that was your first attempt. Smooth. 👍😁 

🎸🙂🎶🙏

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

Deej, mattbeels, Boo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Clinton
(@clinton)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 4965

@peebee You are getting close to home stretch. Your neck looks great! Dont worry about the minor routing mishap on the trussrod channel. I find that attaching a hose on a router to be cumbersome and now I just simply vacuum it off after every pass. I know I have a PDF of a 58 Les Paul plans in my computer. I will send. I simply put the file on a small thumb drive, took it to a print shop to get printed out full scale. Costed me $20 and I was able to make master templates out of it. I even have the files for the routing templates for the carve. Tricky part of it is the neck mortiselike tenon. The plans has a 3.5 degree neck break angle and 17degree headstock angle. Whoa, really steep but you can modify. Best to make an angle routing jig for the neck join, similar ti Mark’s hinge jig for the neck heel but instead for the body. A light bulb moment after seeing Mark’s online courses. Tracing out the neck join to meet with the body is tricky too and has to be cut sawn carefully by hand and sandwich sand to fit snug. Only made an LO once, although hard, it was very gratifying. Will send email when I find the file. Oh lord, I actually cannot remember which laptop I put it on.

9F6713AB D086 41F3 AF5F 9C80454187FE
82735C3C 837B 436D 89C5 BB34B2A31EA6

Deej, Likeakite, mattbeels and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 9 / 10
Share: