9 Users
432 Likes
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 5385

@jonhodgson that’s a great idea, it absolutely does!

…on an elaborate journey to turn trees into music.

Deej, mattbeels, Boo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 16819

@koendb

Thats indeed the issue, the shaft of the ferules is one thing, but for me, what screws it up is that little lip that you need to cut out, to make the ferrules sit flush with the body. for me it is undoable with hand drill and a brad point.

If you were able to use a step drill you could drill the 8mm and 10mm at the same time and guarantee concentricity. The step drills I've got have 3 flats on the shank to fit the drill chuck, so not sure if they would fit into a router collet though .

Deej, mattbeels, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

unfortunately top loading tele bridges are relatively rare (I haven't found one that also has individual saddles) so through stringing may be impossible to avoid.

@jonhodgson This one is both, you can use it as a toploader. 👍 

https://www.northwestguitars.co.uk/vintage-telecaster-ash-tray-guitar-bridge/

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

Deej, tv1, mattbeels and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 11547
Topic starter  

f you were able to use a step drill you could drill the 8mm and 10mm at the same time and guarantee concentricity.

@Robin I also thought of using stepdrills, and I have some of those laying around. The only issue I have with them , is that they I am not able to do it perfectly and still have tear out. I would not trust them on my router even if they fit :-), If I could put them on my drill press, they would do the job I think, but that is the whole issue to begin with.

Deej, tv1, Robin and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  
IMG 20210501 110725669
IMG 20210501 110714318

This morning I ve made a pickguard template and an almost perfect fitting pickguard, using a  jigsaw for the rough cutting, routed the rest and used a file to make tiny adjustments here and there. It fits perfectly. Very satisfying result. I used a piece of leftover pickguard material from another project, just to test if my template was good enough. But now i think I m going to keep it as it is

Deej, Tej, Rocknroller912 and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

Congrats @koendb!

Hard to see from the pics ... are the edges of the scratchplate straight or bevelled?  

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Deej, mattbeels, Russ and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

Hard to see from the pics ... are the edges of the scratchplate straight or bevelled?  

@tv101 They are bevelled, but not enough to my liking, I think I should have used a 45º routerbit instead of a 30º one 🤔 
I'll try to make a better picture.

Deej, Tej, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

Excellent @koendb! Looks like this one is done! 👍

Practice on scrap...

Deej, Tej, Russ and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

Excellent @koendb! Looks like this one is done!

Almost @Mattbeels! Almost, still need to do the roundoff , fix the dings, and finish it. I just finished experimenting with mixing wood filler and stain to solve the ugly area around the string ferrules. Seems I found a good solution!

ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier

I just finished experimenting with mixing wood filler

@koendb what’s your plan with the ferrules then, settled on that yet? Not sure what your plan was with the filler but wanted to let you know I’d tried to use filler in the past and if you try to drill near out the drill tends to go off course into the file bit. Pretty sure I’d seen your use dowels so probably not an issue.

Also found that filler with stain on top looks odd, I’ve in the past used a dowel cutter in a drill and taken a dowel from a similar grained piece of wood and use d that so there is minimal filler needed anywhere. Interested to see what you do though here.

I need to make a replacement Tele pick guard too, anything I need to be careful of with routing the stuff? I’d planned too rough cut it and then tape it to a pattern then use a trimmer bit. Did the router speed make a difference too?

ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

what’s your plan with the ferrules then, settled on that yet? Not sure what your plan was with the filler but wanted to let you know I’d tried to use filler in the past and if you try to drill near out the drill tends to go off course into the file bit.

@Tej I decided to leave the ferrules as they are and make the back as tidy as possible with filler, mixed with the stain I will use. This seems to work out just fine ( thats what I tested yesterday evening), as long as you don't expect the mishaps to be invisible. So I will keep the mistakes visible and go for a stain finish.

Did the router speed make a difference too?

I did not set my speed specifically on my router. The router cuts like butter. I used a bit with the bearing on the underside of the cutter and placed my template upside down. Just make sure you have enough room between your pickguard plate and the table/bench

Boo, Deej, mattbeels and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

Ahhh @koendb... I didn’t look at the photos close enough. It was before I fell asleep so I wasn’t paying enough attention 😆

Practice on scrap...

Boo, Deej, Tej and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

@mattbeels 😴 😜 

ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

Today was a good day! Sanded the complete body with 100, 150 and 240.
Call me crazy but I actually like sanding a guitarbody .. I enjoyed it so much, that I decided not to do the contour roundovers with a router, but instead, I did it with sanding paper 🙂

IMG 20210508 145651757
IMG 20210508 145640505

I fixed a bit the sloppyness in the back around the ferrules with 2 component wood filler, mixed with amber stain.
Some more sanding and grain filled ( mixed with yellow stain ) the sides of the body.

Raised the grain with a damp cloth after cleaning with naphta and sanded the whole body with 320. And applied yellow stain.
This is the result:

IMG 20210508 183125289
IMG 20210508 183147459
IMG 20210508 183135632

All the repairs and mishaps still visible, but I think it is ok for a first scratch build 🙂
I could not resist and did a quick mock up and I must say..

This is very close to what I had in mind before I started this build.

IMG 20210508 180845254 BURST000 COVER TOP

I am really happy with how this is coming together. Pitty for the few mistakes, but hey that s the way we learn.

Tomorrow I 'll put a few coats of shellac on it and assemble it again

Eddie6string, Boo, Deej and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier

@koendb looking good, glad it’s turning out as planned too! 🙂

Boo, Deej, mattbeels and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  
IMG 20210509 101712677
IMG 20210509 101655991

Finished!  just needs a good fret polishing , shielding on the back of the pickguard and some strings!
I could not sleep last night so I spent the night, putting on 3 layers of shellac.

ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 28656

Excellent job @koendb. I like the finish on it. 

🙂🎸🙏🎶

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

mattbeels, Boo, Deej and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

Great job @koendb! Now get some sleep...

Practice on scrap...

ReplyQuote
Deej
 Deej
(@deej)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 10929

Looks great @koendb

I have too many guitars...said no one in the world..ever!

mattbeels, Koendb, Boo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

Superb @koendb and I’m glad you like sanding. It’s one of those painters jobs that you have to get used to and just accept the tediousness of it. It’s all in the prep work, that’s what makes a good finish. The more you do it, the more you realise that doing a lot of it by hand gives you more of a sense of what the project needs to be. You get connected to it more than if you did everything with power tools. These days I remove a lot of the bulk with power tools, my sander especially but I always like to finish the prep work by hand. 

It’s another great build from you Koen, keep going. 🤘😁🤘🎸

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

Tej, mattbeels, Koendb and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: