8 Users
136 Likes
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@poco7 sounds like the neck angle is the problem. Can you re set it

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Russ, tv1, swepri and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
POCORANCH7
(@poco7)
Reputable Member
Semi Professional
Rep Points: 488
Topic starter  

@robin good thought, hmmmmn...maybe....have to ponder that for awhile...thanks

<><

ReplyQuote
POCORANCH7
(@poco7)
Reputable Member
Semi Professional
Topic starter  

@tv101 

maybe the string bar idea...not sure about the matal working idea...hmmmn, have to ponder this...Robin suggested...see note....a rise of the neck,,,mabe under the fretboard?...thinking....thanks

<><

Russ, tv1, Robin and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
POCORANCH7
(@poco7)
Reputable Member
Semi Professional
Topic starter  

@robin 

Are you thinking maybe removing the fretboard and building up the neck? like a taper?

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

@poco7 I’d love to help you out if at all possible but I have no experience with resonators or slide guitars yet. I’m also a visual learner so I must be able to see what the problem is, I don’t really understand things as well reading descriptions of problems. For me, it’s a lot easier to understand a situation if there are photos or videos with an audio description. It’s just the way my brain works, I’m dyslexic and have an attention deficit. 
I’d love to try and help if you could provide some visual aid for me. 
I would love to have a go at making one of these myself one day so it would be good if we could all help you to recognise and fix problems along the way and how to avoid the pitfalls in the future. 
Cheers.

Boo. 👍

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

Russ, tv1, swepri and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Siddharth Mehta
(@siddharthmehta)
Eminent Member Customer
Hobbyist
Rep Points: 79

Maybe

siddharth

Russ reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Rep Points: 16819

@poco7 

Are you thinking maybe removing the fretboard and building up the neck? like a taper?

From your descriptions, my first thought was to remove the fretboard board and raise it up. I hadn't considered a taper, as @boo says, without actually seeing the problem its difficult to come up with a solution. I don't know how the neck is attached, if its a bolted tenon joint, I think I'd be trying to find a way to reset the height or angle or both to achieve the position you want. Or maybe make a new neck to achieve exactly what  you want.

Russ, tv1 and swepri reacted
ReplyQuote
POCORANCH7
(@poco7)
Reputable Member
Semi Professional
Topic starter  

@markbailey@rocknroller912,@tv,@russ,@boo,@koendb

Rather than lowering the saddle, is there any possible/practical way of raising the neck?

Great question,,,i think it's at the root of the problem. 

I'm all ' pondered out' and think the simple things are generally the easiest and most practicable place to start. This guitar has been under tension awhile now...

1] time to recheck the adjustment of the neck with the trussrod

2] if the neck does need a reset..i think there's no way i want to assume removing the fretboard ...yikes! drastic

3] there's probably a dove-tail type joint at the neck/body join and i would want to trim [in increments] the heel of the neck there, begin an adjustment there too.

4] ya'll need pix 

my focus on this problem has been obscured with post-surgery pain and follow-up doctor appointments - I think mentally, i was "gone" ... but I'm back... Like Mark says," I think it's time to make a cup of tea" everyone's comments have been helpful...helps me refocus...

I'll begin to make some adjustments here and there...maybe the truss rod, too, and work the problem...and get back to ya;...I'll take pix and fix this and give ya'll an update...

Thank you ...this community is awesome!

<>< Poco7

Koendb, Robin, Russ and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

I think the general consensus is that the neck angle is set for an acoustic bridge, and therefore is too shallow for the resonator.

You've therefore got the option of fixing the root cause (resetting the neck) or finding a workaround.

Assuming that the neck is removable relatively easily (ie bolted rather than glued), that'd be the neater solution, and easier than option 3 (scrapping this build and starting with a resonator-specific build or kit). 

It's still not an easy solution though, so you then have to assess whether the effort is worth it for the challenge and opportunity to learn, or whether you jump off this learning curve and jump across to the build-a-kit learning curve instead.

But all will become clearer after "the cup of tea"

👍

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Robin, Russ and swepri reacted
ReplyQuote
POCORANCH7
(@poco7)
Reputable Member
Semi Professional
Topic starter  

@markbailey@rocknroller912,@tv,@russ,@boo,@koendb

The Resonator project is on hold for now...as is my electric guitar build...but, when i return to the Resonator project i hope to do a neck reset...with steam...as suggested by so many as a real confirmation as to my thoughts [ the neck reset...not the steam part].

I'm recovering from hand surgery, and my wife and i are moving [major move] across these United States - soon to actually have a workshop and not strictly work from off the kitchen table. Sigh...i'm still playing some music, but not much, the spirit is willing...but the hand is limited! I'm writing more, and...thanks to the Physical Therapist's suggestion, I'm going to practice some drum rudiments on my Snare...lol...go figure! Therapy...I love it...

so, I appreciate everyone's comments...I hope to be able to get back to work on my instrument builds by late summer 

<>< Poco7

tv1, Boo, swepri and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
Rep Points: 28661

Take care @poco7

🙂🎶🎸🙏

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

tv1, Boo, swepri and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
swepri
(@swepri)
Honorable Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 2556

@poco7 Congrats on getting a workshop. Certainly makes things more easy and fun.

If your fretting hand is the problematic one, you can always play a little slide. 🙂 

tv1, Boo, Russ and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
POCORANCH7
(@poco7)
Reputable Member
Semi Professional
Topic starter  

No doubt...my strumming hand is the post-surgery hand, but carpel-tunnel in fretting hand.

Actually, now that you mentioned it...

I just bought a small slide MUCH LIGHTER...by Taylor - Crelicam Ebony Guitar Slide, very warm sound, a little different than glass.

[ i had previously picked up a small 'tequila shot-glass' at a local used items/thrift store,

but it's too heavy - I might want to cut it down later - it works great - for rough rhythm ].

If yer expectations aren't too high mates, you can check out a quick video i made the other day...with shot-glass slide, type in at YouTube: Matthew B Scott

ResonatorFinished note for Michael

I'm healing up slowly, but not able to work much, and packing for a major move... playing a little music!

I'm working on a couple songs with my new slide...way lighter! 

Happy Trails

<>< Poco7

tv1, Robin and Russ reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: