3 Users
15 Likes
James
(@james-chacewatergmail-com-2)
Honorable Member
Technician
Rep Points: 720
Topic starter  

This is my first ukelele - I made it from offcuts from a a hard flooring company near me and as such, was able to make a shed load of inexpensive mistakes in the course of my learning.Β 

I invested in a drum sander last year and it's life changing! The best fun you can have with your clothes on although I have been known to have done some thicknessing wearing nothing but a GM.co.uk apron and a smile 😉 but that's probably for another thread........

So my plan is to make a classical guitar but I wanted to practice the techniques without costing a fortune as they are similar in many respects as I understand it.Β 

I'm quite chuffed with the result (and as usual I made a lot of kindling wood but for less money than normal) but I couldn't have done it at all

20240122 174117

without all the wisdom I've gained from Mr B on his online courses.Β 

swepri, Bpower, Robin and 2 people reacted
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God

Absolutely gorgeous - great plan! You'll probably find guitars much easier now after that - I did anyway. I found ukes to be a lesson in humility myself as they are much smaller and very much fiddlier than I am used to...but brilliant fun - Nice work James!

Measure twice, cut once...

swepri, Bpower, Robin and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
James
(@james-chacewatergmail-com-2)
Honorable Member
Technician
Rep Points: 720
Topic starter  

Thanks Mark, that means a lot.

The trouble is, all the effort in making the molds, templates, jigs and solera........all the fidling about trying to make the nut, saddle and bridge from scratch.... all the laminating of the headstock and the time spent trying to get a good finish for what?

Β 

Β 

It's never gonna sound any better than a ukelele 🤣

swepri, Bpower, Robin and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 28661

@james-chacewatergmail-com-2