BACK IN THE ROOM !!...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] BACK IN THE ROOM !! .... and LOOK who is here for our first open workshop session πŸ™‚

12 Posts
9 Users
59 Likes
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God
Topic starter  

Β Monday , 10 am and the workshop is open again... and two longstanding GuitarMaking members are finally in the same room... taking advantage of our Sessions for Premium membersΒ  where we throw open the doors of the Bailey Workshop and you can make the most of our big benches, wide range of tools AND pick Mark's brain

Whether it's bring along a pile of wood and/or started projects for advice and a bit of extra tutition in one area ( neck making for one member)Β  OR bringing one project along at one or more complex points in the build for extra support (a hollow body from scratch build for the other member) - we can make space for any requests

Since the pandemic we have run very few in-person courses, so it is great to have back the sound of routers & saws, and the gentle under-the-breath swearywords we have come to know and love (haha) And of course the laughs, the smiles, the tears (of joy ...) and all the general happy place feeling we all get when we can smell the sawdust and superglue !

If you want to know more - and make some plans for workshop time for your own project- just contact Carol carol@baileyguitars.co.uk

We are also have one bench space free for a full (or part build) on dates between 9-17 September if you would like to come - we will be in anyway as we have students in the mix already.Β  There will never be more than 3 builders at a time, and you can pick and mix dates for starting, ongoing and assembly/set up

We were all so excited the power went off !

20230828 123955
20230828 141955
20230828 124021
20230828 142004

Β Luckily .. it came back on πŸ™‚

Measure twice, cut once...

swepri, Koendb, Boo and 3 people reacted
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 28661

@markbailey @tv101 @jamesbisset

What's it like having the two of them in the same room? 🤣.....A lot of shenanigans I imagine.....🤣Β 

Good to see you all working away.

🎸🙂🎶🙏

πŸ—οΈ "Life's what you make it"πŸ—οΈ

tv1, swepri, Koendb and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Bpower
(@bpower)
Noble Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 3860

Wow. Awesome. It's great to see people in the shop. But...... @tv101 ..... long sleeve shirt and shorts? Are you warm?... Are you cold?... Pick a season. πŸ™‚

tv1, swepri, Russ and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

Ahhhh, back in the workshop!! Β It’s one of my happy places, lots of great memories, and the odd pretty-good guitar, all made in that workshop.

Β 😀Β 

Β 

Absolutely wonderful to see Mark & Carol again, and to meet the famous James Bisset esq *in real life*. Β Not many people can say they’ve done that.

I like to think that I’ve helped IHT Jim’s project. Β At least, anything I’ve suggested, he has immediately discounted, so I’ve helped narrow down the options.

(And you *can* use nails in a neck joint, as long as they’re long enough). 😆Β 

Β 

I fear the next few days will pass by all too quickly …

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

swepri, Clinton, Russ and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

Oh I am very envious, that looks like damn good fun and I’m sure everyone enjoyed (are enjoying) time in the workshop.Β 
I’m a lot nearer to you now, @markbailey and Carol, a visit is way overdue.Β 
There is something in particular I would like to learn, making nuts from scratch (insert your own jokes). There are a few other things on guitars I’ve already made that I can bring with me. I’m just going to load my car up with guitars and come over there to learn about some advanced tinkering.Β 

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

tv1, swepri, Robin and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 11547

Awesome! I wish I can at least come over for a visit someday.

tv1, swepri, Robin and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Clinton
(@clinton)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 4965

@tv101 savor every moment

Boo, tv1, Russ and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier

How abso-bloody-lutely wonderful.

Had a great time up there in the workshop with the genius that is @markbailey and the wonderful soup-maker-in-chief Carol and then in various entertainment venues in/around Ayr with various members of the wider Bliss community.

And I met the legend known to us humans as @jamesbisset, indeed I shared the same workshop space with Mr B for 3 whole days.Β  (Note to anyone thinking of doing the same - it *is* survivable).

It had been 11 years since I was last there, way too long.Β  In my defence, I'm now back home having driven 408 miles in a smidge over 7hrs, so it's not exactly an easy journey.Β  (The car is designed to treat that as a warm-up before the main journey, but I'm not used to that sort of mileage!).Β  However, I'm going to make another return long before another 11 years!

Came back with a couple of pieces largely done, but - more importantly - the energy and motivation to do some more building.Β  Might even let Mark tempt me into trying one of those ackoostik things.

swepri, Robin, Russ and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 28661

Posted by: @tv101

Came back with a couple of pieces largely done, but - more importantly - the energy and motivation to do some more building.Β  Might even let Mark tempt me into trying one of those ackoostik things.

Go for it @tv101. Good to see the buzz is back.Β 

🎸🙂🎶🙏

Β 

πŸ—οΈ "Life's what you make it"πŸ—οΈ

tv1, swepri, Boo and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
jamesbisset
(@jamesbisset)
Noble Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 1440

I have to say, working in the Bailey Workshop is both a privilege and a joy. I’m beginning to see a possible route out of the world of Bodge across the border into Craft.

Talking of borders, there was another participant at the bench while I was there - a benign, bespectacled elderly gentleman with an impenetrable southern accent. I think he said his name was Steve, but it was difficult to tell. He might have had a lisp. He seemed to be mostly scraping an enormous fence post. He was very keen though, always first to arrive in a very expensive looking German car and always last to leave.

On the second day, with help from Mark, he routed a long slot up the length of the fence post. I assume he was planning to wire it up at some point. It’s probably part of a security system for one of those gated communities they all live in down there.

On the third day, while we were waiting for Mark to finish his Yoga session in the Zen garden, I asked him what he was working on. I’m afraid all I got was β€˜mumble... toffee... marbles...’ so I just nodded politely.

I had to leave in a rush that day, and I accidentally pranged his customised number plate reversing out of the car park. He probably won’t even notice as he wrestles his fence post onto those fancy leather seats. But if he does, I’m sure he won’t mind. He seemed like a nice bloke.

Jack of all trades and master of my own destiny. It’s only a small destiny.

tv1, Russ, swepri and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mikeyrjiom
(@mikeyrjiom)
Reputable Member
Semi Professional
Rep Points: 401

Great to see people back in the workshop again. I will have to sort a trip out to Ayr from the Isle of man and maybe get in a hollow body course. 😉Β 

Trying to make a living out of a hobby doesn't work πŸ™‚

Robin, tv1 and Russ reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier

Posted by: @jamesbisset

Talking of borders, there was another participant at the bench while I was there - a benign, bespectacled elderly gentleman with an impenetrable southern accent. I think he said his name was Steve, but it was difficult to tell. He might have had a lisp. He seemed to be mostly scraping an enormous fence post. He was very keen though, always first to arrive in a very expensive looking German car and always last to leave.

On the second day, with help from Mark, he routed a long slot up the length of the fence post. I assume he was planning to wire it up at some point. It’s probably part of a security system for one of those gated communities they all live in down there.

That must have been the days that I wasn't there @jamesbisset?

Β 

Robin, Russ and swepri reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: