6 Users
138 Likes
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God
Topic starter  

Hey Folks - heads up... 😲Β 

Thanks to Steve and Sebastian for pointing this out: The lesson order for the Acoustic Course somehow got mixed up - this has happened before after an update - very annoying as that is the whole point! - it is fixed now but please let us know if you spot anything else out of place - CHEERS!!!

https://guitarmaking.co.uk/course/build-acoustic-guitar-online/

Measure twice, cut once...

Deej, tv1, Bpower and 13 people reacted
Robin
(@robin)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 16819

@markbailey

I'm not ready to build an acoustic yet, but I've started thinking about it and going through the lessons. I've downloaded the patterns and I see that the body size is the same as the shop bought acoustic that I have.

I find this size is too big for me to be comfortable to play. I'm thinking of knocking up a cardboard body to find a size that is comfortable.

So here's the question, can I just scale down your template size and keep it in proportion until I get a size that I want?

I've no idea how that would affect brace positions or what fret the neck would join at, but I guess that come apparent when I start drawing.

Deej, tv1, Bpower and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God
Topic starter  

Short answer: you can make the body any size you like...

..but..

I'll talk about this on tomorrows livestream...

Measure twice, cut once...

Deej, tv1, Bpower and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@robin

It will be interesting to have a discussion about different body sizes. Early guitars were much smaller than modern ones and it was regarded as a ladies instrument to play in the parlour. There are some great examples in the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford (even one by Stradivari) and the Museum of Antique Instruments in Edinburgh. Obviously they are closed at the moment but I think there will be stuff online to look at. Some instruments have plans available to buy which have been drawn by different people. Edinburgh has everything in glass cases but lets people take them out under supervision for examination and copying. I've been once and it's on my bucket list again if Covid ever finishes.Β 

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Deej, tv1, Boo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier

@markbaileyΒ 

I'll talk about this on tomorrows livestream...

Thanks Mark, I'll be sure to be there.Β 

Deej, tv1, mattbeels and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier

@Rocknroller912Β 

Museum of Antique Instruments in Edinburgh.

I'm just along the road from Edinburgh, I must go and visit the museum sometime.

ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@robin

Ive found the leaflet that I got last time. It's proper title is

Edinburgh Univesity Collection of Historic Musical Instruments

Reid Concert Hall

Bristo Suare

Teviot Place

EH8 9AH

tel 0131 6502423 to arrange a visit

its not that far from the Grassmarket and the oldest guitar is I think Matteo Sellas 1614 Venice.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

Deej, tv1, mattbeels and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

Edinburgh Univesity Collection of Historic Musical Instruments

Reid Concert Hall

Bristo Suare

Teviot Place

EH8 9AH

@rocknroller912 This sounds really interesting, I’ll definitely have a trip there when Covid allows. I didn’t know that is why they were called parlour guitars either. Cheers. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

ReplyQuote
Eddie6string
(@eddie6string)
Noble Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 1551

Just down the road from the Ashmolean is the Music Instrument collection/museumΒ  - interesting place. They keep the instruments in playable condition.

Many flim & TV companies hire their kit to be period correct.Β 

Deej, tv1, Boo and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@eddie6string

I didn't know there is another instrument museum. I used to go to Bicester with work and always managed a free afternoon for a trip to Oxford. Don't think I will be there again.

Β 

ReplyQuote
Bpower
(@bpower)
Noble Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 3860

well... don't I feel foolish. I've been building my first guitar (acoustic because they rock). It is going awesome. The lessons are very easy to follow. The body is all together. About to start fitting the neck. I'm amazed at what I have already done. I noticed the order was out but never really thought anything of it. When I watched it all the first time, it was in order. I just found the section I was working on. I am interested in hearing the differences in size because a parlor guitar is on my list of things I want to do. I think I know the answers because, in the acoustic course, you explained why things went where they were going and didn't just say "put it here". however it will be interesting to hear the "actual" answer.Β 

ps..... it is much easier to find sections in the acoustic course now that they are in order. πŸ™‚

ReplyQuote
Share: