Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Shopping advice

8 Posts
4 Users
3 Likes
Topic starter

Hi,

I have almost everything I need for my first build either here or on order but there's a couple of small things I still need and wanted to make sure I get the right parts.

A nut, there's plenty out there and I know I want a pre cut tusq but is there anything else to watch out for / make sure I get. For reference I have a pre made fretboard from the shop here.

Fret wire, similar to above only there seems to be a thousand different types when I checked on tonetech.

Clamps, someone said 'all of them' previously but at £20+ a pop I don't want to blow £100 and find out I don't have the right one when it comes down to it.

I did CDT GCSE at school (30 years ago) and haven't really done anything other than put together a DIY kit guitar since, although I did shape the headstock and made my own scratchplate so this is all new.

5 Answers

I have loads - when Rutland Tools decided to change the colour of their 4” G clamps they did 10 for £30.

03B3BEE2 D1EB 4BF0 8561 85607C23FAC3

I bought 4 of these from B&Q I think

F89F726D 9ABC 4B43 B8CD 574E69FDF566

for about £7 each and then these from EBay 

BF64BF9C 8D51 46F6 A2A7 CB0E75858262

The 4 nearest are quite good because one lever closes the and the other opens the jaws.

I also have a couple of long reach clamps.

This post was modified 3 years ago by Bill Flude

Measure once........
Measure again.........
Sod it - make tea!

cheesewhisk cheesewhisk Topic starter 11/01/2021 9:09 pm

Cheers Bill, I grabbed some G-clamps earlier this evening and I've got a couple of the clamps in the middle

This is what Mark recommended to me and what I used on my acoustic build. Well happy with it.

http://www.tonetechluthiersupplies.co.uk/guitar-fret-wire/nickel-silver/sintoms-18-nickel-silver-frets-2-3mm-1.html

Alternatively if you contact Nark and Carol they may ge able to supply you with pre bent fretwire if that helps. 😉

cheesewhisk cheesewhisk Topic starter 11/01/2021 9:10 pm

Thanks James, that's absolutely perfect

I bought a GraphTech Tusq nut from Northwest Guitars, it's about 43.5mm wide and 9.5mm high at the fat E string. Haven't fitted it yet but looks like it should do the job.

I also bought fret wire from them, which I will not buy again. It was delivered cut into 250mm lengths and not pre curved.  2.0mm wide and 1.1mm high, slightly narrower than the wire Mark uses.

20210111 175858

cheesewhisk cheesewhisk Topic starter 11/01/2021 9:10 pm

Thanks Robin, I'll get one ordered.

Also got some of these - 2 short - 4 medium - 2 longer ones.

EB4DAB7C 722D 4C29 9945 66EDBFCDEE86

Measure once........
Measure again.........
Sod it - make tea!

You can never have too many clamps!   Forgot that I also have another set of G Clamps and a couple of dozen assorted spring clamps of different sizes....

Measure once........
Measure again.........
Sod it - make tea!

Share: