Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Stupid truss rod question

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Is there any reason that the truss rod that Mark shows how to make on the acoustic course cannot be used on an electric guitar?

3 Answers

Length?*

I don’t know which truss rod Mark uses in the acoustic course, but they’re normally shorter in acoustics compared to electrics.  

*Yup, size does matter 😉

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

James James Topic starter 29/11/2020 8:57 pm

@tv101
Ah but the truss rod is made to fit the slot, sir....

It's not about the size it's what you do with it that matters 😉

tv1 tv1 29/11/2020 9:07 pm

I’m guessing here, but ...

I’m guessing that acoustic truss rods are shorter because there’s less length of exposed neck (ie before it joins the body) on an acoustic than on an electric.

You *could* fit an acoustic truss rod to an electric neck, but the truss rod would then only have effect over a shorter length of the neck - you wouldn’t be able to straighten the whole length of the neck, and might end up with an odd kink in the neck between the end of the truss rod and where the neck joins the body.

At a guess ....

You can use it I think. Has to be a longer version and access should be by the end of the neck and not on the headstock. Not enough meat on the headstock. 

The 'Nut' part of the Acoustic TR is a bit chunky but I guess it could be cut down and then I don't see why not? Would have to do a test...

Measure twice, cut once...

Share: