Clear all

New plans......

48 Posts
12 Users
2 Likes
Topic starter
20201010 161638

Hi all!!

I am planning a new project, an ultimate superstrat! For this I nicked Marks Exotica design (I hope you're OK with this Mark; if not, let me know). I calculated the dimensions from a frontal picture of the actual guitar. They should be OK, give or take a few mm's.....

Now I have a cunning plan..... I can order a custom body blank with my supplier: 3-piece swamp ash with two purpleheart splines in between, so a 10 cm central piece of swamp ash and a 1 cm purpleheart spline and 10 cm swamp ash on both sides. A bit like a racing car.......

For the neck I'm thinking of a full purpleheart blank, maybe with a fancy maple veneer over the slightly angled headstock....

Al black hardware: Trem, locking tuners, knobs 'n all..... 3-way switch, push/pull pots for coil splits and for adding the middle pu to any combination of the humbuckers.

I had to modify the headstock for a bit, because I like a straight string path in combination with a trem, while as the original design has a splayed string pattern. Does anybody know if such a string pattern will cause tuning problems with trem use? If not, I may stick to the original, looks a bit better I think...

Β 

What do you think, any mistakes I made? Weird lines? Suggestions?

Measure once, cut straight away and maybe you're lucky......

Robin Robin 22/10/2020 1:53 pm

@e-den-hertog
Looking good, I'm looking forward to seeing your build in progress.

37 Answers
Topic starter

Did quite a bit of work on my 80-ies pointy headstock metal/prog machine. Some results...

20210318 143018
20210318 143026
20210318 143043
20210318 143052

Polished the wipe-on poly finish with a fine automotive compound and got a very nice sheen somewhere between high gloss and satin. It's a very organic looking and feeling finish, not plasticy at all.

Go for it Edwin - we are all standing on the shoulders of giants...maybe you could add a custom tweak to make it more your own?

Measure twice, cut once...

Topic starter

Thanks Mark! I guess you're right 😀 😀Β 

A custom twist.... I'm thinking of routing out a small portion on the front lower side of the headstock, maybe inlay it with a contrasting piece of wood.... We'll see....

It will be sometime beginning next year, guitar building is mainly an outdoor activity for me.......... Waiting for springtime.

But it is fun to make plans and designs. Maybe I can start by making some templates when the weather isn't too ghastly......

Sounds interesting - just make sure it is not as good as one of mine!

Topic starter

I'll do my best.... 😆 😆Β 

Topic starter

Made some templates this weekend....

20201101 130843

Topic starter

Mark, a question for you: On the frontpage of Guitarmaking.co.uk there's a rotating Exotica (followed by a Bandsman etc.). When I look closely at the carve (for as long as I can see before the Bandsman kicks in...), I suspect there's no re-carve, just the "stage 1" carve. Also, the pictures I ripped from Baileyguitars.co.uk point at the same direction. Am I correct???

Β 

I think it looks fantastic.......

YES! The Exotica has a stage 1 carve - I think it suits the style better - but of course I will make yours with a full carve if that is what you like πŸ™‚

Topic starter

😀 😀 I'll have a go at it myself first...... If all fails, I'll order one with you....

Β 

Thnx Mark!!

Topic starter

BTW Mark, can you tell me how wide the neck blanks in the store are?

There is always some variation - min 80mm max 100mm depending on material...if you have a size in mind you can let me know and I'll find a suitable one for you

Topic starter

Hi Mark, underway with the new project..... Do you remember how deep you made the carve on the aformentioned Exotica?

Topic starter

The beginning.....

20210117 145629

Topic starter

And progress...............

20210124 195715
20210124 195745

Sorry I didn't take more pictures, but I was in a flow........

Bill Flude Bill Flude 25/01/2021 11:25 am

Looking good!

Page 1 / 3
Share: