Clear all

New plans......

48 Posts
12 Users
2 Likes
Topic starter
20201010 161638

Hi all!!

I am planning a new project, an ultimate superstrat! For this I nicked Marks Exotica design (I hope you're OK with this Mark; if not, let me know). I calculated the dimensions from a frontal picture of the actual guitar. They should be OK, give or take a few mm's.....

Now I have a cunning plan..... I can order a custom body blank with my supplier: 3-piece swamp ash with two purpleheart splines in between, so a 10 cm central piece of swamp ash and a 1 cm purpleheart spline and 10 cm swamp ash on both sides. A bit like a racing car.......

For the neck I'm thinking of a full purpleheart blank, maybe with a fancy maple veneer over the slightly angled headstock....

Al black hardware: Trem, locking tuners, knobs 'n all..... 3-way switch, push/pull pots for coil splits and for adding the middle pu to any combination of the humbuckers.

I had to modify the headstock for a bit, because I like a straight string path in combination with a trem, while as the original design has a splayed string pattern. Does anybody know if such a string pattern will cause tuning problems with trem use? If not, I may stick to the original, looks a bit better I think...

Β 

What do you think, any mistakes I made? Weird lines? Suggestions?

Measure once, cut straight away and maybe you're lucky......

Robin Robin 22/10/2020 1:53 pm

@e-den-hertog
Looking good, I'm looking forward to seeing your build in progress.

37 Answers

Looking great...the hardware will pop against that natural look..

I have too many guitars...said no one in the world..ever!

Looks Great @e-den-hertog. 👍Β 

🎸🙏🎶🙂

πŸ—οΈ "Life's what you make it"πŸ—οΈ

Topic starter

And screwed on some hardware...

20210318 151659
20210318 151618
20210318 151622
20210318 210355

What do ya'll think? 😀Β 

I do have a problem however.... I put on a set of strings to test the action and trem and my fret work didn't turn out as well as I had hoped (and expected to be frank, I never had any trouble with my fretwork at all....). The high E is chocking like mad when bending the string above the 12th fret.... I guess I did lean too much on the edge of the fretboard while leveling, so the frets are too low at the edge...

Well.... nothing that can't be fixed I guess.... I just have to go over the leveling again... This time I'll use a radius block to make sure I get the radius right....

This post was modified 3 years ago by Edwin

Posted by: @e-den-hertog
20210318 210355

What do ya'll think? 😀Β 

That looks amazing! i love the body a lot.

Topic starter

Thnx Koen, it's Marks Exotica design however... 😀Β 

Really the plans seems nice in the progress image , and in the final image its looking fabulous ~ Ali Sami Farooq

Looking great - with the frets make sure the radius block matches the trem radius......sometime the trems aren’t the standard radius.

ask me how I know 🙄

if you get to the issue can’t be fixed you can alway play slide on it and have the action a tad higher. Call it a rock/metal/bluegrass guitar...sortedΒ 

I have too many guitars...said no one in the world..ever!

Topic starter

Thank you all for your kind remarks! The New Plan has come to completion so this topic is no longer valid, as it isn't a plan anymore.......

Pictures in the show case area of this forum!!!!!!

Page 3 / 3
Share: