Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Stainless steel vs Nickel

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I really don’t like watching my daily guitars wearing slots and requiring fret-dressing quite so quickly. My Warmoth partscaster has (lovely) stainless steel frets - slick and smoove. It was the first time I’d come across the option and I jumped at it.

But Mark recommends nickel over stainless steel. Is that because it’s easier to level, dress and crown or because it’s easier to install?

Jack of all trades and master of my own destiny. It’s only a small destiny.

1 Answer
Posted by: @jamesbisset

Mark recommends nickel over stainless steel. Is that because it’s easier to level, dress and crown or because it’s easier to install?

Both - Also:

As a Guitar Maker - Stainless Steel frets are 3 times harder in all possible ways 🙂

As a Player - To me they feel more 'glassy' and do have a similar effect on the tone - i.e. more top end

I'll always recommend good old standard nickel silver fretwire, as I think it has the best overall properties, but if forced I will fit Stainless Steel. I'll always suggest EVO GOLD first - I think it is a better option than stainless - kind of best of all words: Very hard but much easier to work. Worth a Google if you have not seen it...

Measure twice, cut once...

jamesbisset Topic starter 12/08/2020 6:48 pm

@markbailey
Heh - just checking out the website:

“CAUTION: Jescar Fretwire will improve the tone and playability of your guitar.”

Excellent. Thank you 🙂

Share: