Share:
Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] I’ve disappeared up my own ƒ hole

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

After @tv1010101 ’s rant about ƒ-holes elsewhere on this site, i thought I’d better re-visit my archtop guitar design. Every time I looked at my drawings all I could see was a poster for a Victorian Melodrama with a Baddie with Moustaches!

So I decided to explore alternatives. That’s a day I won’t get back. 

Some of the ideas are worth re-visiting, but as my original plan was to build an electric guitar that I could smuggle into Scottish folk clubs, I suspect the more traditional the better.

Normally I’d post 14 jpegs here, but in the interim here’s a 14 page pdf and a screenshot of the first and last pages.

hole 01

hole 14

Jack of all trades and master of my own destiny. It’s only a small destiny.

Russ Russ 24/08/2020 10:17 am

@jamesbisset
If you're choosing any of them I'd go for the last one James. A Modern Classic. ??✌️

jamesbisset Topic starter 24/08/2020 11:52 am

Yeah - I like that cut across. Reminiscent of the bar on the ƒ.
I’m guessing that binding it will be fiddly, but wee straight pieces of binding should be a little simpler to fit than tight curves? Or leave it unbound, fiddle style?

4 Answers
Topic starter

@james-chacewatergmail-com-2 The teardrop was deliberate, BTW. It’s an ancient decorative shape in Celtic / Indo-European culture from thousands of years ago, but it was made famous as the Paisley Pattern. And Paisley is another thing Ayrshire is famous for - possibly even more famouser than the Guitar Making Academy!

Jack of all trades and master of my own destiny. It’s only a small destiny.

It might be me James, but I see lots of sad faces crying f hole loads of tears  ? 

jamesbisset Topic starter 24/08/2020 12:39 am

@james-chacewatergmail-com-2
Yeah - that’s where we are. 😉

Thanks for the research James, I think you've convinced me to stick with the traditional.

Posted by: @jamesbisset

After @tv1010101 ’s rant about ƒ-holes

That wasn't a rant, that was just a constructively critical observation!

😉

I liked many of your alternative designs - the shapes "fit" the shape of the body far better, and they all look neater than the unnecessarily ornate f hole version.

How about this one ...

No F in Hole.

... but without the second smaller hole?  The outer edge of the larger hole runs parallel to the outside edge of the body (my eye likes symmetry and aligned shapes).

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

jamesbisset Topic starter 24/08/2020 11:45 am

@tv1010101

That one looks like it’s crying tears of laughter. :¬D

I’ve printed them all out. I’ll keep looking at them and see which ones grow on me.

It’s only just dawned on me that I should have laid them all out horizontally! The only time you see a guitar upright is when it’s not being used.

Share: