Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34813
Topic starter  

Question for @markbailey please 

Have you seen this cracking paint effect before on a guitar? I think you probably will have. 

A friend of mine has painted a guitar and when he has hammered the bridge posts back in, it looks like the paint has shattered, radiating out from the posts. I’m not sure it’s only in that spot either, it could be a wider problem. 

What do you think? A paint application method problem? A paint product problem? Bad prep work? Working on the guitar too soon before the paint has cured? Just being heavy handed hammering the posts back in. Or, a few or all of the above? Or something else?

Thanks in advance for any guru answerage. 

9ACB2AC2 3AB1 4066 AA54 1A32B0B19576
269CB91C 87FD 4594 B8B7 6B5AD6CB9D0A
B07B5EC0 B4D2 48F5 9677 7001226D78D0
E3C4F586 9EF0 41D0 BA8D 6C3446AD4D09
98D576CD 2710 4022 849D 73E9C8D06C22

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

Koendb, mattbeels, Russ and 5 people reacted
Robin
(@robin)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 16784

@boo

It looks similar to the stress fractures that I see in the gelcoat on my boat. I would guess that its the expansion around the hole as the post has been driven in or flexing of the wood as its been hammered that has caused it. I think it must be a really hard finish too, to have cracked rather than flexed with the movement.

Koendb, mattbeels, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  
Posted by: @robin

It looks similar to the stress fractures that I see in the gelcoat on my boat. I would guess that its the expansion around the hole as the post has been driven in or flexing of the wood as its been hammered that has caused it. I think it must be a really hard finish too, to have cracked rather than flexed with the movement

@robin Thanks for the input. Yeah it really does look like the paint has shattered due to an impact. It’s hard to tell as I only have the photos, not the actual guitar to look at. It makes sense that the paint would be hard if it were to shatter. If it wasn’t cured, it would still be soft and may not react in the same way when the post was hammered in. 
I’ll see if anyone else has anything to offer. 
👍

Koendb, Robin, mattbeels and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

@boo I’m guessing he’ll install the posts before the finish on the next one, d’oh!

Practice on scrap...

Koendb, Russ, Robin and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  
Posted by: @mattbeels

I’m guessing he’ll install the posts before the finish on the next one, d’oh!

@mattbeels I would hope so, yes. 😆

Koendb, Russ, Robin and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: