Share:
Notifications
Clear all
Poll results: Which Pickups for a vintage telecaster build?
Voter(s): 8
Poll is closed Apr 12, 2021
Iron Gear Steel Foundry  -  votes: 7 / 87.5%
87.5%
Wilkinson M- Series AlNiCo V  -  votes: 2 / 25%
25%
Vanson Vintage 50's AlNiCo V  -  votes: 0 / 0%
0%

60's Telecaster build - Which pickups?  

Page 7 / 9
  RSS

Koendb
(@koendb)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 2253
12/04/2021 5:22 pm  

The biggest problem are the bushings as there isn’t a standard between manufacturers and getting the right size hole is also annoying as they are always some weirdo 6.24 or whatever and some bushings are tapered, grrrrr.

Indeed ! Ill stick to modern ones from now on 😀

Speaking of Stewmac I notice that you have their cam clamps $$$.

Yeah I just have one though, I have all the clamps I need for now. I did not know of the Klemmsia brand when I bought this one clamp ( just to see what this clamp was all about really, ordered it together with some other stuff I actually needed).
Stewmac was the first company I came across when sourcing guitar related tools. In the meanwhile, I found a lot more convenient and cheaper web stores. Stewmac is my last resort in most cases 😎 

Stewmac (of course) have special reamers for this job and as a repairman I have the whole set! $$$ 

Yup I was almost tempted to buy it, but I am not going to, I am not a professional, nor seeking to become one. So buying this does not make any sense for me.

Robin, Boo, tv1 and 2 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Rep Points: 3622
12/04/2021 6:22 pm  

@koendb

Sometimes it’s easier to start jobs like fitting tuners by hand if you haven’t got a jig to line them up, because the more pressure you put on a drill bit the more likely it is to slide with the grain away from the centre. Brad point bits also don’t have a round point which makes super accurate work more difficult. Work the drill bit by hand until it has a defined mark in the wood then go to the machine.

I had the same problems as you when I started and used to get stressed, but after years of repairing factory made instruments I’ve found that some of them are not that accurately made either so I stopped worrying about it.

I usually take before and after pics of repairs now so that if someone complains I can show it was like that from the factory. 

Don’t call us we’ll call you

Robin, tv1, Koendb and 2 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Customer
Luthier
12/04/2021 9:19 pm  

@rocknroller912 Indeed, I used a pilar drill only for the initial holes. But I indeed scored the initial contours of the holes manually ( turning the drill head manually, once I got the brad points exactly where I wanted them). I would measure again when I had a clear recessed area. Only then I would line up the drill again with that recess and very slowly drilled the holes. I knew that this part was done pretty accurately. But still not 100% of course. Reaming the holes for the bushings allowed me to correct that slight imperfection. By doing it manually and really patiently and slow, It went pretty good. I still do prefer modern style tuners though, less finicky 🙂

Robin, Boo, mattbeels and 3 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 14673
13/04/2021 8:49 am  

I usually take before and after pics of repairs now so that if someone complains I can show it was like that from the factory. 

@rocknroller

That’s good pratice. I always look over the guitar with the customer when they drop it off. Checking for obvious problems and making a few adjustments (always the truss rod!) so as to minimize surprises. I dislike having to call them later with bad news although it can’t always be avoided. 

I will photograph certain jobs so the customer can appreciate what goes into it but I also have done it to cover my back.

Pratice on scrap...

Rocknroller912, tv1, Robin and 3 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Customer
Luthier
13/04/2021 1:41 pm  

Ooops, @rocknroller912

See above homie 

Pratice on scrap...

Rocknroller912, tv1, Koendb and 2 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Customer
Luthier
19/04/2021 1:13 pm  

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/tools-by-job/tools-for-nuts-and-saddles/nut-seating-files.html

Use that carefully and the bottom of the nut slot should be flat, and perpendicular to the end of the fretboard.

ordered the 1/8" one straight away! thanks @tv101

IMG 20210419 135338333

Arrived!

tv1, mattbeels, Boo and 1 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 20922
19/04/2021 2:09 pm  

@koendb I got one of these the other week, it does the trick. 

357AED79 0015 42A5 9A27 A290CF16082E
14DE2595 8473 4BEF B938 39B42089F5E6
1AF41ED8 F8E4 40FF 886A 8929CA40ADF5

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

tv1, mattbeels, Koendb and 1 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Customer
Luthier
19/04/2021 2:35 pm  

@boo yeah that is probably a lot cheaper and does the job just as well. I initially though of using my side level file, which has a 45 and a 90 degree angle, but the file is just a bit too thick for a fender nut slot , I can still use it for other types of nuts though!

Where did you get yours from?

tv1, mattbeels, Boo and 1 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Customer
Luthier
19/04/2021 3:19 pm  

Where did you get yours from?

@koendb There are three different sizes. 

https://www.gluedtomusic.com/products/378/hosco-saddle-and-nut-slot-level-files-3-mm/

tv1, mattbeels, Koendb and 1 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Customer
Luthier
19/04/2021 3:43 pm  

Ah then the price difference is not as bad as I thought it would have been ( of course, still have to take into account import fees I guess )

tv1, mattbeels and Boo liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
Rep Points: 15091
19/04/2021 3:45 pm  

Hey @boo. Do you know if the Elmer tools on the glued to music site are made by the same people who make the Stewmac tools? They look very similar. 🤔 

🎸🙂🎶🙏

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

tv1, Koendb, mattbeels and 1 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Customer
Luthier
19/04/2021 4:39 pm  

Do you know if the Elmer tools on the glued to music site are made by the same people who make the Stewmac tools? They look very similar.

@russ I don’t know if they are or not but they do look similar. They just be copies, they could have a local company that makes stuff for them. I am guessing, I’m really not sure. 

tv1, Koendb, mattbeels and 1 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
19/04/2021 4:54 pm  

Cheers @boo.

Looking a little more into it. I think Elmer may be a Chinese manufacturer who probably do supply Stewmac with certain tools. The Fret Slotting Jig appear identical.  

https://elmerguitar.com/pages/about-us  

🙏🎶🎸🙂

tv1, Boo, Koendb and 1 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Customer
Luthier
19/04/2021 5:14 pm  

@russ A little birdie once told me that Elmer does indeed make some tools for stewmac. 😉

Pratice on scrap...

ReplyReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
19/04/2021 5:46 pm  

@russ A little birdie once told me that Elmer does indeed make some tools for stewmac.

@mattbeels. Good to know Matt. 

Cheers,

Russ

🙂🎸🎶🙏

ReplyReplyQuote
Page 7 / 9