368 Likes
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

I know *NOT* to mess with monsters.

@tv101 🤣 You shouldn’t appease monsters or they win! The guitar gods walk with you and give you the confidence to defeat the demons. Strike a chord, kill the beast. 

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

mattbeels, Robin, tv1 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 5112
Topic starter  

I’m not sure, but this could just be a single internal dialogue! Has anybody actually seen TV10101 and Boo in the same room?? I think an investigation might be in order! 🤣🤣🤣

mattbeels, Robin, tv1 and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

I have a shelf on the mezzanine in my factory where I kept a notched tally of the number of rats that I trapped/shot during a couple of particularly enthusiastic infestations. One even got into the office down stairs and ate all the ink transfer tubes in my HP wide format printer! £450 and about two days of life to fix that one!! Now that was a monster!!

mattbeels, Robin, tv1 and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Clinton
(@clinton)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 4965

Nice work Bagpress!  My very first guitar build was based on a Les Paul arch top double cut semi hollowbody. Same type of neck tenon. I completely eyeballed it and actually turned out surprisingly ok for a beginner. Not the type of guitar for a first timer. Lessons learned, chiseling a carve top is no joke. My neck break was at 2 degrees in fear of over doing it and was totally off by 2 degrees. Action was way to high.  Should have been 4 degrees I think. I solved it by recessing the bridge post by just 1.5 mm with the bridge now set all the way down for a decent string action. Not the best resolve but worked. My go to guitar is the 335. It was the guitar that developed my love and passion to guitar playing. It is a magical instrument. One of my biggest reqrets was selling my Cherry Red 59 Dot ES-335. 

mattbeels, Robin, Boo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

I’m not sure, but this could just be a single internal dialogue! Has anybody actually seen TV10101 and Boo in the same room??

@darrenking 

“Well me, it's nice talking to myself
A credit to dementia
Some day you too will know my pain
And smile its "black-tooth grin"
If the war inside my head
Won't take a day off I'll be dead
My icy fingers claw your back
Here I come again”

mattbeels, Russ, darrenking and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
jamesbisset
(@jamesbisset)
Noble Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 1440

Darren, I reckon you probably know as much about the strength of laminates as anyone. And a 335 is glorified solid guitar with an ornamental shell for mounting pots, switch and scratch plate.

However, guitar players must be about the most conservative creatures out there*, so just don’t tell anyone you changed the recipe and you’ll be fine.

*One of my favourite workhorse guitars is the Yamaha RGX A2. It is has an LED in the pickup switch. You would not believe the response this gets from other guitar players, from confusion to speechless panic!

Jack of all trades and master of my own destiny. It’s only a small destiny.

mattbeels, Robin, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
jamesbisset
(@jamesbisset)
Noble Member
Luthier

*One of my favourite workhorse guitars is the Yamaha RGX A2. It is has an LED in the pickup switch. You would not believe the response this gets from other guitar players, from confusion to speechless panic!

For the sake of clarity, the LED in the pickup switch is fairly much useless, because the one person that cannae see it is the player. I’ve rewired both my A2s, but I left the LED powered on in one of them out of sheer badness. 😉 

ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

@darrenking

Just to get vaguely back on-topic, briefly, the top of my SA700 measures 4.3mm thick.  

I don't seem to have a photo of it anywhere, but it's a MiJ 70s/80s 335 alike.  Everything I find online re the specs just says "maple" with no reference to it be laminated or veneered, so I'm guessing that it's actually carved out of a solid piece of maple.  It's quite heavy - solid centre block.

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

mattbeels, Robin, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

Very interesting little video on ES335 construction.

ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

And another one

ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier

That second video was a really interesting watch - thanks @darrenking 🙂

ReplyQuote
jamesbisset
(@jamesbisset)
Noble Member
Luthier

Thanks Darren, that second one is really useful. 

- necks tenons are finessed by hand with a chisel

- Gibson Memphis have their pre-slotted fingerboards supplied by a third party. I’m amazed Mark finds the time!

ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier

Gibson Memphis have their pre-slotted fingerboards supplied by a third party.

I know where they could buy a jig - good price - and then they’d be able to do their own!

ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the positive feed back on the Live Stream today. I have a couple of details that I need to sort out that I ma hoping you can help me with.

I have 4 or 5 downloaded 'ES335' plans and no two of them share the same body outline or overall dimensions and the 3dModel that I have used for the lamination mould is, again, different from all the others. As if dealing with Gibson scale lengths wasn't bad enough!!

The 3D model gives body dimensions of about 500mm long (to the tip of the horns) x 420mm wide. It is clearly a 335 style shape but whether it is a direct copy I can't really say. 

The question is whether what we are looking for is an ES335 style course ie hollow body semi acoustic, or if the aim is produce as close a reproduction to the Gibson as possible.

What do you all think?

Darren

mattbeels, Russ, Robin and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier

I'd say ...

Use the body plans that best match the moulds you've already built.

I think we're looking to learn the techniques of guitar building, and, in this case, the techniques of building a guitar in the style of a 335, not an exact replica.

That's my view anyways ...

mattbeels, Russ, Robin and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

I think we're looking to learn the techniques of guitar building, and, in this case, the techniques of building a guitar in the style of a 335, not an exact replica.

@darrenking Darren, I’m happy with what Tony has suggested, for me it’s purely about learning the building techniques and methods, not exact replicas. Look for something new (as much as you can for this style of guitar), not convention. That’s my view anyway. 👍🎸

mattbeels, Russ, Robin and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

I like the way this poll is going! I think I might just close it now whilst I’m ahead!

My new best friend, the 3D cad man in the US, is going to modify the files slightly by extending the border and faring in the neck area to make the moulds entirely machinable on the router. All for only $100! A serious bargain and he is now someone firmly on my Chrismas card list. He’s going to be very useful!

Darren

mattbeels, Rocknroller912, Russ and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Bart Van der Kemp
(@bart-van-der-kemp)
Eminent Member
Adept
Rep Points: 131

Doesn’t has to be an exact copy in my opinion. It’s more about the proces. I am in anyway.

good work Darren!

mattbeels, Russ, Boo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
jamesbisset
(@jamesbisset)
Noble Member
Luthier

I agree with Les (Otters).

I want to build an arch top, not a 335. But the 335 construction, and in particular the neck join, really interests me. It looks like more like a set-neck than a traditional arch top dovetail, with all the mods that implies.

I can’t wait to see what Mr Easy-Peasy-Bailey does with it.

mattbeels, tv1, Rocknroller912 and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 16811

I've never even held a 335 so would have nothing to compare it with. Having watched the Gibson videos now, I like the idea of building a hollow body archtop. I think it would be a huge challenge to me and maybe a step towards building an acoustic.

mattbeels, tv1, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: