Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Semi Professional
Rep Points: 296
19/06/2020 2:45 pm  

🎸🛠️🗜️🔨📏📐🎸

Hello Peeps,

I've watched Mark's Video on Essential Tools which are all mostly freely available but I'm looking for some thoughts on buying some of the Precision Tools to make some of the jobs easier. I know we shouldn't really be discussing or promoting Brands or Suppliers but it's difficult to know what to buy and who to buy it from. I've been checking out a few of them online for a while now. I imagine everyone is familiar with Stewart MacDonald, Tonetech and Guitars & Woods. I've been looking at fretting files and sanding beams which all vary in price but not sure of the difference in quality. Any advice on any tools would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Russ

mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Guitar Making God
19/06/2020 4:21 pm  

My advice about tools is to get the best ones that you can afford - as you need them. What you spend in money will usually translate to a saving in time or stress. Depends what you have more of or value most...

The best stuff is from Stewmac and don't forget Luthiers Mercantile International (LMII.com). In the UK I mainly use Tonetech.

Measure twice, cut once...

Russ liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Semi Professional
Rep Points: 296
19/06/2020 4:32 pm  

@markbailey

Thanks Mark. I thought Stewmac looked good quality. I wondered if some of the cheaper versions that I saw were not as good. I guess the old saying of "you get what you pay for" tends to be right. I'll check out the Luthier's Mercantile International too.

Cheers,

Russ ✌️😀👍

ReplyReplyQuote