Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Has anyone in the UK ordered from Stewmac this year?

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Luthier
Rep Points: 1880
07/02/2021 12:02 am  

Daaaaang, that’s some expensive paint! 
I didn’t really think about it from your other post about SM but doesn’t anyone in the UK have shielding paint?!?

Crimson do it, RS have a spray lacquer, I'm sure there are others.

They're all expensive though, and for the amount he's got the StewMac seems to be a pretty good price, depends how many guitars you're going to build.

Chris at Highline Guitars makes his own, just graphite lubricant and acrylic paint. I'll have to give it a try

Tej, Koendb, tv1 and 4 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Rep Points: 7771
07/02/2021 9:51 am  

@mattbeels 

Daaaaang, that’s some expensive paint! 
I didn’t really think about it from your other post about SM but doesn’t anyone in the UK have shielding paint?!?

I saw some shielding paint on Custom Guitars, but at £9.95 for a 30ml bottle. Thats about 3 times more expensive than Stewmac.

@boo, decant yours into little bottles and sell it.

Tej, Koendb, ali sami farooq and 4 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
Rep Points: 15990
07/02/2021 2:58 pm  

It all seems a bit hit or miss when buying from America, not just from Stewmac. Sometimes there are import taxes and sometimes not. I have noticed that the cost of imports from Europe are now about four times as much since our exit. 😕 

🎸🎶🙂🙏

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

Tej, Koendb, ali sami farooq and 5 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Rep Points: 4032
07/02/2021 6:21 pm  

@russ

Sadly problems with buying and selling from Europe were all predictable to people who had experience and knew how the system worked but politicians glossed over the truth because they are never concerned with details only policy.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

ReplyReplyQuote
Chrisot
(@chrisot)
Adept
Rep Points: 118
10/02/2021 4:05 pm  

Yes I just received an order yesterday. It took about 21/2 weeks to arrive but there was no vat or import duty to pay. Goods value was about $130. I think I got away with it this time! Usually 20% vat + duty.

ReplyReplyQuote
ali sami farooq
(@alisamifarooq)
Hobbyist
Rep Points: 68
08/03/2021 5:49 am  

No brother , this year i did not order Stewmac this year, but one of my friend is talikig about the purchase it  ~ Ali Sami Farooq

Ali Sami Farooq

Koendb, tv1, Russ and 2 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Deej
 Deej
(@deej)
Luthier
Rep Points: 10880
10/03/2021 10:02 pm  

I guess there's a degree of luck involved as to whether the customs officer dealing with your package can be bothered to chase after small amounts of VAT.

I got caught by this twice over the last few years so I don’t bother getting anything from SM. I try and source in England, Europe (may now prove difficult!) or make my own tools if I can.

I have too many guitars...said no one in the world..ever!

Tej, Koendb, Boo and 4 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
Rep Points: 15990
09/06/2021 9:50 pm  

Just incase anyone is interested...... 

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/tools-by-job/tools-for-binding/binding-router-guide.html  

🙂🎸🎶🙏

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

Tej and Koendb liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 3156
10/06/2021 12:54 pm  

Just incase anyone is interested...... 

ooh at that price.. very tempting

Tej and Russ liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 3156
10/06/2021 12:55 pm  

I got caught by this twice over the last few years so I don’t bother getting anything from SM. I try and source in England, Europe (may now prove difficult!) or make my own tools if I can.

Yeah same here, sometimes I do order from SM, as I still have the membership, so at least shipping is cheap 😀

Russ liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2