84 Likes
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 5112
Topic starter  

Hi gang!,

Has anyone used, or come across anyone else using, teak for electric bodies or necks or for cappings? Any good reason to avoid?

I know it has a reputation for blunting tools and being tricky to glue but on the few occasions I've worked with it I have found it to be really quite pleasant to machine and sticking it wasn't a problem.

Thoughts anyone?

Darren

tv1, Boo, mattbeels and 9 people reacted
Eddie6string
(@eddie6string)
Noble Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 1551

Hi Darren,

As you know, Most woods can be used providing they have an element of stability/structural integrity.

Self Build:

Go for it, like a child, you'll love it if it's  ugly and screams everytime you pick it up!

Commercial:

Where spending money is concerned,  guitarists are the most conservative creatures on the planet,  liking traditional materials wanting to look and sound like what's been before. 

Occasionally you feature a freakish instrument on-line or at an exhibition that gets attention and sells.

Weight might be the backbreaker ???

Some English Ash is akin to Swamp Ash coming in at 3lbs body, but mostly it will be used for slimline/hollow body models as it can weigh 7lbs for the body alone.

I'm keen to try Sweet Chestnut 

Never used Teak, but have a small quantity to try one day, maybe?

Good question!

Warmness 

Eddie

tv1, Boo, mattbeels and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

Hi Eddie,

Thanks for the feed back. Its partly a money thing. I have been offered the teak at £750m3 which is incredibly cheap and less than 15% of the price that I last paid for good quality khaya. (and it isn't even stolen!!) I might just buy some for making garden furniture and see how it looks.

I've rarely seen chestnut mentioned on the commercial timber lists. Somewhere like North Heigham Saw Mills or Sykes Timber might have some. I've found the guys at Sykes are keen to supply instrument makers and don't view us as just being ridiculously fussy pains in the ass! Worth a call if you want to give it a try.

Cheers

Darren

tv1, Boo, mattbeels and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Eddie6string
(@eddie6string)
Noble Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 1551

Hi Darren

I built a guitar last year for long-term client from his own tree felled 17yrs ago.

Part payment in Ash slabs. He has some chestnut in his barn also - just as well, his daughter wants a guitar also (much rubbing/ringing of hands).

Let me know how you get on and density comparison?

Warmness 

tv1, Boo, mattbeels and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Clinton
(@clinton)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 4965

Built an baritone ukulele with teak. Turned out really nice.

tv1, Boo, Eddie6string and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

...and don't view us as just being ridiculously fussy pains in the ass! 

Too funny! 

Practice on scrap...

tv1, Russ, Boo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

Were you thinking of building an electric, or something acoustic-y?

I guess Teak might be a bit heavy for the former.  If for an acoustic, try the tap test on a piece and see if it rings ...

I always think of Teak as being quite hard wearing (hence used for garden furniture, and use of Teak Oil to  protect aforementioned garden furniture) and a bit oily itself.  That might affect how it takes any sort of finish.

But, I've no personal experience.

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Boo, mattbeels, Russ and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

Hi TV,

I was thinking of using it for electric bodies or for cappings. It is an oily wood so it would be ideal for an oiled finish. Very rot proof, hence use for garden furniture, but actually quite nice to work and nowhere near as hard as you might think, and it smells great!!

Boo, mattbeels, Russ and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

Apologies @darrenking - I really should have read the thread title!!

For oiled electric bodies, I don't see a problem.  If it turns out heavy, then just chamber it.  If you want to paint it (now, why would you want to do a daft thing like that?) I guess you could seal it first.

But, for an oiled body - or caps if you get a pretty bit - give it a go!

You'll get quite a few bodies out of 1m3 ...

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

mattbeels, Boo, Russ and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: