8 Users
98 Likes
Denver Lange
(@lizard)
New Member Customer
Rookie
Rep Points: 20
Topic starter  

Its great to be here. I am new to this guitar building thing, but have been playing in a band out here in Utah for around 20+ years. I am actually still playing with two of the first people in the band, who are great players. I feel sorry for all of you that have been on lock down for much of the time this year. We haven't had much of a lock down here and I have played almost 10 gigs since July, with another coming up on the 28th and 29th.

My son 15 year old son got me into this guitar making bit, when he said he wanted to make a Les Paul guitar from a kit that he saw on YouTube. He and I put it all together with stain and oil finish, and I was sure surprised at how good it sounds, although it is far from a masterpiece. We really love playing it.

My son and I are huge Iron Maiden fans, and we play their songs together on a regular basis. So much fun to play songs with great sounding harmonies. He is already good enough to play in the band with us when we do all ages shows.

My dad is who got me interested in playing, as he was in a country and western band for 40 or so years. Soon we are going to put together a family and friends party where we can all play together as a family.

I have been a premium member for a few months now, and just getting everything I need to start a build. I figured I could help Mark and Carol out by signing up as a premium member, when I wasn't really ready to start anything. I feel like they deserve some money for all of the work they have done and, all of the info he is willing to give up for free.

I just put together a body blank and, purchased a bolt on neck blank online.

I have a question about the neck blank. It has about a 2 mm bow from one end to the other. Should it have any bow to it? It also has a small knot about 6 inches from the end and in the middle. It does appear to be planed. Maybe it bowed after it was planed.

Should I return it?

Thanks in advance.

Bill Flude, tv1, mattbeels and 9 people reacted
Bill Flude
(@frocesterbill)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 3827

Welcome to the Fun Factory!

Not sure I would want a neck blank that curved - also with a knot in it.

Send it back......

Β 

Measure once........
Measure again.........
Sod it - make tea!

tv1, mattbeels, Boo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Clinton
(@clinton)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 4965

Welcome to the builds. Very cool if few to sign up. Worth every penny plus more. Send the neck back. Necks should be straight with no knots sticking out. No matter how good your build will be that will definitely be problematic.

Bill Flude, tv1, mattbeels and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mark bailey
(@markbailey)
Admin
Guitar Making God

You might be able to avoid the knot but the blank will likely need a bit planing/sanding work to get it straight. This is one of the problems with buying/selling wood online - sometimes they are affected by environmental changes etc...where did you get it from?

Measure twice, cut once...

Bill Flude, tv1, mattbeels and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

My son and I are huge Iron Maiden fans

@lizard From one Iron Maiden fan to another, welcome to the forum and the guitar making revolution. I use all kinds of wood, sourced from many different places, I even use pallet wood sometimes. Having said that, if there is one thing that needs to right, it’s the neck. It does have to be straight with no twists etc. I always buy neck blanks from reputable places, some body blanks too.Β 
Upload some pictures so we can see what you mean. I’m no Clairvoyant. 🔮😁🤘

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

Bill Flude, mattbeels, Russ and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Denver Lange
(@lizard)
New Member Customer
Rookie
Rep Points: 20
Topic starter  

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Boo here are some images. It appears to me that the neck blank probably was straight when it was made, but now it is not. I was hoping to pay for a blank ready to work on without any milling. If I have to re-mill the thing I may as well go to the wood store by my house and make my own. It also has a knot that looks like it goes through the piece diagonally coming through the opposite side near the edge. I made a jig for planing my body blank with my router that works pretty good for now, although slower than jointing and planing with machines . It is in the photo shown. Right now I was just planning on buying a neck blank because I dont have a planer yet. However as of today I was able to make my own neck blank using the planer jig, that is much straighter. I am going to send the neck blank back. There is a good hardwood lumber store nearby called Macbeath that has all of the different types of wood.

Did I mention that I learn the best lessons by failing the first time. Ha Ha.

20210115 133623
20210115 133803
20210115 133830

Β 

Peebee, tv1, mattbeels and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

Did I mention that I learn the best lessons by failing the first time. Ha Ha.

@lizard You are not alone in that man, I do it too, we all do. That timber looks amazing, I wish I had such easy access to a yard like that. We have such wet weather here in the UK too, I’ve never seen timber outdoors like that. I look forward to see what you do next, nice pictures, thanks for uploading. It’s the live stream on YouTube today if you can make it. 1PM GMTΒ 

Bill Flude, mattbeels, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

@lizard

Welcome to the forum Denver!

As you’ve already heard and found out, this is a great place full of interest and support.

Regarding your neck blank: depending on the dimensions you might be able to plane it but if you can’t avoid that knot then definitely send it back.

But you’ve probably already figured that out...

Best of luck with your build and

Up the Irons!

Practice on scrap...

Bill Flude, tv1, Boo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
cardiffborn
(@jonathan-auckland)
Estimable Member
Adept
Rep Points: 225

Hi, and a warm welcome from down South.Β 
This is a brilliant place for expert advice and support. When things don't go the way you expected you will discover many others who have been down that road. Sometimes you just have to trust what Mark says....... "Just play the effing note"......Β 

all the best for your build

Β 

Boo, Robin, mattbeels and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 5112

Hi Dave, welcome.

I would be less concerned about the bow than the knot but if the neck blank is making you have to think about how to avoid the defects then ask for a replacement. This is one of the reasons you pay top dollar for someone else to work out how to cut the timber to avoid such problems. If they want the faulty blank back (which I doubt!) then they should pay to have it collected and ship your replacement free of charge. On the two occasions that I have received poor quality timber from suppliers who should know better (one in the US and one in Spain) the material was replaced without question once they received a photo or two. I don’t think you’ll find yourself having a fight.

Darren

Bill Flude, mattbeels, Boo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

"Just play the effing note"

Father Ted reference. 😁👍