Boo doing a lot of ...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Boo doing a lot of work for "Charidee"...

75 Posts
8 Users
728 Likes
Roland
(@rashdown_online)
Reputable Member
Semi Professional
Rep Points: 311
Topic starter  

Hi @Boo.

As mentioned in the live stream chat today (Wed-02-Mar), if you and Mark could lobby Wudtone for them to donate a bridge assembly, that would be a great addition to your build.

But if you don't get any joy from them, let me know and I'll stump up for one of these: https://www.wudtone.com/product/wudtone-cp-vintage-50s-highwood-saddles-tremolo-assembly/.

Just let me know what specs./Dims.

Cheers.

HOW OLD AM I??? (See: Joined...)
Signed: (legit grumpy) OLD bloke... 😛

Russ, Deej, Peebee and 11 people reacted
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34813

lobby Wudtone for them to donate a bridge assembly, that would be a great addition to your build.

That is a great idea and a very generous offer @rashdown_online 

Ill be talking to Mark and Carol soon as we need to chat about all of this stuff, we need hardware etc for this project. I think with generous donations like yours, we can kit this guitar out with some amazing gear. Tuners are next, they must be locking I think. 

This is gonna be one cool guitar. We will make it rock. 🤘😁🤘🎸

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

Russ, Deej, mattbeels and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Roland
(@rashdown_online)
Reputable Member
Semi Professional
Topic starter  

We should also lobby a few UK pickup makers: Monty's; House of Tone; Creamery; Fletcher; Oil City, to name but a few.

Even if they're not free, a discount would be welcomed, I'm sure.

Six String Supplies or Monty's could do the full wiring loom including award winning pickups (HOT or Monty's) too.

Having said that, just looking around my "box of stuff" I have a Schaller "Vintage" trem currently on eBay/Reverb but it's 2-post not 6-screw. I'll take them down and send that if you can make use of it. But I suspect your build is beyond that point (I remember you'd already drilled the 6 pilot holes for the bridge?). Let me know.

Russ, Deej, mattbeels and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

We should also lobby a few UK pickup makers

Maybe Bareknuckle too? 

Russ, Deej, tv1 and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Roland
(@rashdown_online)
Reputable Member
Semi Professional
Topic starter  

Might be a good idea as they are "bigger" and could possibly accommodate donations more than the smaller "boutique" makers

Russ, Boo, Deej and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

Mark / Carol probably have more influence with some of the pickup makers - and even hardware suppliers - given the amounts that they must buy? 

I'm guessing they'd get better (trade) prices than we could individually, even as a charity thing.

@Boo - what sort of pickup config did you have in mind for sparkly?  I see it's routed for H-S-H - is that your preference?

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Russ, Boo, Deej and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

Maybe Bareknuckle too? 

@boo

hmm, I think @eddie6string is friends with Tim Mills so maybe he could ask? Maybe not, just a thought...

Practice on scrap...

Russ, Boo, Eddie6string and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

what sort of pickup config did you have in mind for sparkly?  I see it's routed for H-S-H - is that your preference?

@tv101 It is routed like that so it can accommodate a few different configurations, it’s quite versatile. Obviously it will take HSH, HH, HSS or SSS. 

Whatever all of us come up with and which kind manufactures/suppliers help us out, it will all be sent to Mark and Carol to be used for the project. Any parts that are unused for whatever reason will be returned or used in similar future projects. There is a lot to consider so it will take a while to get this thing off the ground but we will all be kept in the loop and everything above board and proper. That’s my thoughts anyway. 

I am not the best at organising things, I just come up with ideas and get creative. I am calling on all you grownups out their to help make this work, Carol being one of them. Let’s pull together and see what we can do. If I get giddy and start getting carried away, please reign me in. You’re all on more money than me and there is a reason for that 🤣. 

Exciting times. 🤘😁🤘🎸

Russ, Deej, tv1 and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

hmm, I think @eddie6string is friends with Tim Mills so maybe he could ask? Maybe not, just a thought...

@mattbeels Yeah good thinking. There are some fantastic colour choices to be made (and a lot of arguing 🤣) if we use Bareknuckle. 

Russ, Deej, tv1 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

Having said that, just looking around my "box of stuff" I have a Schaller "Vintage" trem currently on eBay/Reverb but it's 2-post not 6-screw. I'll take them down and send that if you can make use of it. But I suspect your build is beyond that point (I remember you'd already drilled the 6 pilot holes for the bridge?). Let me know.

@rashdown_online Fantastic offer, thank you. I think we should make a list of whatever hardware etc we get offered and then we should debate (a vote) on the final spec. 👍

Russ, Deej, tv1 and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Roland
(@rashdown_online)
Reputable Member
Semi Professional
Topic starter  

No problem.

If Mark can let me know I'll take the Schaller bridge off eBay/Reverb. I'll also send up my "bread-knife's" old Yoga mat - either to make peace with Carol or use as nice new gripper pad 😆 🤣 

Or I could take them to the Mother Ship when I pick up my guitar (not TV's guitar - mine 🙂 )

Russ, Boo, Deej and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Deej
 Deej
(@deej)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 10929

Hi @boo

I can donate these unopened Iron Gear pickups. Parchment covers so may not work but may be able to source new covers to match the guitar.

I got them for a build someone wanted and they gave back word so happy to donate for the cause if you can make it work. No pressure as you may want something a little more special in mind. Or if @makbailey is putting his name to the build also he may also want something a little more boutique?

Details of the pickups are here and pics below.

http://www.irongear.co.uk/irongear_pickups_019.htm

49B7931F 188D 4ADF 8F85 BCF444AF7360
87B671DD 5570 4417 AB6E BC1E47BA8A24

I have too many guitars...said no one in the world..ever!

Russ, mattbeels, Boo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier

Or I could take them to the Mother Ship when I pick up my guitar (not TV's guitar - mine 🙂 )

You're getting a guitar TOO @rashdown_online?

To be fair, I admire your patience.  I'd have driven up there by now to collect the guitar and finish it myself.  It must be torture seeing it there, amidst flying sharp things, every livestream ...

Russ, mattbeels, Boo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier

Iron Gears are good pickups.  Not just "good for the money", but good, period.

I used them in 2 of my Bailey builds, and various of my own builds (including the last one I did).

Boo, Russ, mattbeels and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Deej
 Deej
(@deej)
Famed Member
Luthier

You're getting a guitar TOO @rashdown_online?

Hold on...are we going to fight over who owns the walnut guitar..

Russ, mattbeels, tv1 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Roland
(@rashdown_online)
Reputable Member
Semi Professional
Topic starter  

I'd go but knowing my luck the rozzers would catch me and/or wee-jimmy-kranky would setup a border patrol and have me locked up!

And what's made things worse is, that in the time gone by I've traded an Eastman T386 (ES335-like) for a legit Gibson SG and am secretly enjoying it immensely (after fixing the crappy fret job and set up, and putting in some proper PAFs and decent wiring).

I promised myself I'd never get and enjoy a Gibson as they are over priced and badly made - so don't tell anyone that this SG really sings now... 🙄 

Rocknroller912, Russ, mattbeels and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Deej
 Deej
(@deej)
Famed Member
Luthier

@rashdown_online Just stick a UPS sticker on your car and say your working! 😃

Russ, Boo, mattbeels and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Roland
(@rashdown_online)
Reputable Member
Semi Professional
Topic starter  
Posted by: @

They are, indeed.

@boo: THere's another option which is EvilSheep Pickups. Hand made in "Gods Country" and really well priced. I had a set of "Sheep Experience" pickups in a crappy (before a fret job and setup) MIM Strat. Really brought the guitar to life for £85.

ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier

a legit Gibson SG

I've never got on with the SGs.  The controls all feel too close together.  Either that, or my fingers are too fat.

I've only got one proper Gibson (original run Nighthawk from the mid-90s). That's a nice guitar.

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

I can donate these unopened Iron Gear pickups.

@deej That’s very generous of you, we’ll throw them into the hat. The “debates” we will all have about what should be used where and why is going to be highly amusing I predict. 😂👍

Russ, Deej, tv1 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4
Share: