Notifications
Clear all

Guitar Build #3

Bpower
(@bpower)
Luthier
Rep Points: 1231
Topic starter  

I have been thinking about, and working on, making some tools before starting my next build however I'm not sure I can last that long. @markbailey I'm not sure what you have created here in me but... I'm liking it. 🙂 I know mostly what I want to build and some features I want to put in it. I think I have decided to soon pick out and order some supplies. 

So... My next build I want to do a dreadnaught sized acoustic guitar. Mostly because I know a few people that want me to build that size of a guitar, and I want to get the pattern in my drawer. Also I have almost always played a dreadnaught size. Now... I also want this to be my first cut away guitar. And I am going to put the arm bevel in this one too. I haven't even done the drawing yet but it will be coming soon. I'm leaning towards spending a little more money and getting an indian rosewood back and sides set. I didn't want to waste it on my first guitar but now I have some confidence. 

Today I had some time off and I really didn't want to do "housework" or my other chores on the "honey do list" so I decided to spend so relaxation time in the shop going through my leftover stock of bracing material. Marked, measured, cut out, and planed all the pieces by hand and came out with a full set of braces. It took a little longer than going out to the cold shed with the bandsaw but it feels really relaxing and rewarding to do it that way. My next thing I want to try and tackle is using the bagpress fret slotting jig. I have 4 blank fretboards just in case there is a learning curve but I think it will come out good. 

Looking forward to starting this next build.

cutting bracing 2
cutting bracing 1
braces

Clinton, Koendb, mattbeels and 4 people liked
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Rep Points: 10594

@bpower

I'm sure that you were warned that this becomes addictive, one thing I have learnt though is ignore the "honey do list" at your peril.

Clinton, Koendb, mattbeels and 4 people liked
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier
Rep Points: 21179

Posted by: @bpower

My next thing I want to try and tackle is using the bagpress fret slotting jig

I found that supremely easy to use.  It has all the adjustment that you need - just set it up right and slot away!

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Koendb, Boo, Robin and 3 people liked
ReplyQuote
Bpower
(@bpower)
Luthier
Rep Points: 1231
Topic starter  

Well. Decided to try out the Bagpress fret slotting jig tonight. Couldn't have been happier with it. Shout out to @darrenking. This jig was super easy to set up and rock solid to use. The fret board looks like it was purchased pre-slotted. Fantastic. Now I just need to radius it and cut it down to the right shape. 🙂

fret cutting 1
fret cutting 2
fret cutting 3
fret cutting 4

mattbeels, Russ, Boo and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote