mattbeels and Boo liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Deej
 Deej
(@deej)
Luthier
Rep Points: 10880
21/09/2020 7:46 pm  

Which stains / oils?  I’ve been using Crimson’s stains exclusively for a few years now, and not had that issue.

I’ve used crimson stains and their finishing oil...but I’ve used Danish, Liberon finishing oil, tung oil and True oil. They all have  there advantages and disadvantaged.

Another which is quite nice is a mix (equal quantities) turpentine, boiled linseed and beeswax..it a very old gunstock (musket) recipe. Smells great too.

It’s  nice to try different thing but always do on scrap first.

I have too many guitars...said no one in the world..ever!

mattbeels, tv1 and Boo liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 21651
21/09/2020 8:15 pm  

Another which is quite nice is a mix (equal quantities) turpentine, boiled linseed and beeswax..it a very old gunstock (musket) recipe. Smells great too.

@deej That sounds good, I think I’ll try that. I’ve used Crimson Stunning Stains and oil and I’ve recently started using Chestnut products, they are to my liking. My favourite oil is still Tru Oil. 

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

mattbeels, Deej and tv1 liked
ReplyReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier
Rep Points: 18593
21/09/2020 9:01 pm  

I’ve used crimson stains and their finishing oil...but I’ve used Danish, Liberon finishing oil, tung oil and True oil. They all have  there advantages and disadvantaged.

Yup, I've got a shelf full of various oils and similar products in my workshop.

I've got some unopened tins of some of Osmo's products that I've not even had chance to use yet.

Need to make some more guitars ...

mattbeels, Deej and Boo liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Customer
Luthier
21/09/2020 9:07 pm  

I've got some unopened tins of some of Osmo's products that I've not even had chance to use yet.

@tv1010101 I have been looking at that Osmo stuff, it is quite expensive so I’m waiting for someone to tell me it’s good before I commit. 

ReplyReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier
21/09/2020 9:16 pm  

@johnnierox-boo

You can buy small tins, or even little test sachets (Amazon I think) which is what I started with.

I've used the Osmo Raw product to stop the wood taking an orange/yellow tint from oil.  Give it a coat of Raw, and *then* add the oil coats, and the original colour of the wood is protected.  You can get other Osmo products that deliberately do add a colour tint.

There's a good YT vid of someone testing the different types of finish (matt, satin, gloss, etc) which was pretty helpful.

TBH, I think each product will work if you persevere with it long enough to work out the best way of applying it, and remember that with Tru-Oil you do ABC, 3 times, whereas with Crimson you do XYZ once, and with Osmo you do it differently again!

ReplyReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Customer
Luthier
21/09/2020 9:22 pm  

You can buy small tins, or even little test sachets (Amazon I think) which is what I started with.

@tv1010101 Thanks for that, I didn’t realise it was available in small amounts. I’ll go in search for the YT videos. Cheers. 

ReplyReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier
21/09/2020 9:31 pm  

This is the one @johnnierox-boo

Not so sure why he had to do the video with his shirt off!!

ReplyReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2