10 Users
246 Likes
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 5112

My 335

Ooooo, I didn't know you had one of these! Can James B and I cut it up to see what's inside please? 🤣 🤣 

Likeakite, mattbeels, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Clinton
(@clinton)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 4965
Topic starter  

As it may seem obvious, I make semi and hollow bodies. I only made 2 solidbody guitars ever. The extra steps and difficulties of doing so is worth the efforts.

The observations I noticed that there are considerable differences in tone, sustain and resonance in construction of center block.  The lesser the mass in the centerblock, the more resonant it is. Full center block, thicker rim,  less resonant. Chambered or cut  off center blocks with thinner rim considerably louder. Especially amplified. Poplar, Basswood, Pine, Purpleheart, Spruce surprisingly enough incredibly resonate tremendously. Walnut, Ash and Maple not so much. Mahogany and Koa feels very warm and resonates quite nice. As far as tone, I find using the same lumber as neck to body(Not including top) seems to attack the tonality so much more. What I also discovered surprisingly enough, top loaded strings on a cut off center block sustains longer than string through. String through however on a full centerblock sustains longer.      

As far as fretboards on a hollow guitar, ebony feels damper, maple feels thin and rosewood, padauk, purpleheart, wenge feels gritier.

Fretwire, I find Stainless Steel gives you more sound dynamically compared to nickel silver. 

Nut, Tusq graphtec by far sustains longer. Bone a close second, compared to Corian, Metal or wooden. 

It is very hard for me to make personal builds and not being hollow or chambered. Just the feel of it in your belly as you play and the less added weight sets the tone on my playability. Not only do I hear the difference but I feel it as well. I am very partial at it and it is my personal style. I dig it. At one point during my gigging days, I had a les paul, a strat and a 335. Well, I gravitated to one. The LP and the Strat were shelved on the case. If I break a string I open up the LP. 

Robin, Russ, mattbeels and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: