684 Likes
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842
Topic starter  

Almost makes me want to make an electric guitar...... almost.

@bpower Thanks. They are a lot of fun to make, have a go. 👍

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

mattbeels, Koendb, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 11547

@Boo that looks amazing! Awesome job

mattbeels, tv1, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

that looks amazing! Awesome job

@koendb Thanks very much, I’m still building up the coats of oil. 👍

mattbeels, Russ, Koendb and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

Just catching up on this - and lots more besides.

Interesting work as always Mr Boo.

What's the reason for the pallets having to be Heat Treated.Β  Is that so they don't burst into flames when you blowtorch them, or some other reason?

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

mattbeels, Russ, Koendb and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

What's the reason for the pallets having to be Heat Treated.Β  Is that so they don't burst into flames when you blowtorch them, or some other reason?

@tv101 The HT pallets haven’t had any chemical preservatives added, just heat treated. The ones that are painted blue are used in transporting chemicals, some dangerous I think. I like to keep things as clean as possible and I wouldn’t want to pass anything dodgy onto anyone.Β 

mattbeels, Russ, Robin and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

Ahhhh - that makes sense!

Not got any blue pallets here, they're all just plain old wood.Β  Not that I'm planning on making any pallet guitars just yet.

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

Funny story (not)Β 

Today, I went out to work, gardening. When I got home at lunch time, I decided to continue the work on this Bandsman, for me. I got the frets in it at the weekend and nothing since then.Β 

So, the next stage was to CA glue the frets from the ends.Β 

⚠️Warning!⚠️Β 

When using a CA glue for fretwork, use a medium viscosity, not low or ultra low (they are too thin).Β 
I was holding the guitar in the playing position, the glue ran through the fret slots and out the other end, where I was holding it. I didn’t realise at first and it was only when I went to move my left hand, I noticed I was stuck. Bugger! I thought that I could free myself if I was quick enough but I had to steady the guitar with my other hand. It wasn’t going to happen so I reached for the debonder so I could unstick myself. Erm……. My other hand is stuck now too! Ahhhhhhhhhh……… 

I know I like to get stuck in to my guitar building but this has become ridiculous. I had to bite my lip and go get help. Luckily, my wife was in. When I explained, she could hardly squirt the debonder into the critical areas because she was laughing that much. How rude!Β 

After about half an hour, I was freed. It took me the rest of the afternoon to clean the guitar up and it still needs finniting further to get it to the standard I’m happy with.Β 

So, USE A MEDIUM VISCOSITY CA GLUE FOR FRETS 👍 AND EVERYONE PLEASE BUY SOME DEBONDER FOR YOURSELVES, ITS A MUST. ITS SO EASY TO DO AND IF YOU DON’T HAVE ANY DEBONDER, YOU’LL HAVE TO DO IT THE OLD FASHIONED WAY AND GO TO THE HOSPITAL FOR HELP. 🤣

That feeling you get when you realise you have glued not only one hand to a guitar, but two. 😳😡🤡

tv1, Koendb, Russ and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 16819

My other hand is stuck now too! Ahhhhhhhhhh………

What a nightmare @boo. I've got an image in my head now of Frank Spencer building a guitar.

tv1, Koendb, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@boo

Ive heard of people being attached to their instruments but that’s real dedicationΒ 

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

tv1, Robin, Koendb and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Bpower
(@bpower)
Noble Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 3860

Omg boo... I'm sad to say that I laughed while reading this. I rely hope it does not happen to me but if it does I will absolutely share with the group. πŸ™‚

tv1, Robin, Koendb and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

Great looking build @boo! Sorry to hear about your problem with the super glue but it was good for a laugh, sorry!

But seriously, how would you get a medium CA to flow through a fret slot? I would think that it would be too thick, but maybe not.

Pro tip! Electrical tape makes a great dam for super glue. You could run a strip of it along the fretboard on one side to seal off the slots and run the glue in from the other. Or for those of you that don’t want to bother with CA just use fish glue or Titeblond, they work great as well. 😉

Practice on scrap...

tv1, Robin, Koendb and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

I've got an image in my head now of Frank Spencer building a guitar.

@robin Yep, that’s how I felt. 🤣

mattbeels, tv1, Robin and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

Ive heard of people being attached to their instruments but that’s real dedicationΒ 

@rocknroller912 Yeah it can become a real bind.Β 

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

Omg boo... I'm sad to say that I laughed while reading this. I rely hope it does not happen to me but if it does I will absolutely share with the group. 🙂

@bpower No, it’s fine to laugh 😂 I did and my wife certainly did. I’m just glad she was in or I would have been holding that guitar longer than I wanted to, not in the way I would prefer.Β 

We have to share these moments so others become aware.Β 

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

Now I’ve got over the superglue incident, I’ve reinstalled the stainless steel security screws. Pan heads on the top and countersinks around the edges. I put a few bits in place, just to see what it may look like when built up.Β 
I’m now going to send it via courier to Scotland, to the next builder who will add his own bits, such as pickups and scratch plate etc. When he is done, he will pack it up and ship it over to Utah USA, to the next builder. He will make a neck, do the final construction, setup and deliver it to the new owner in Wisconsin USA.Β 

8B3927A9 FD48 403C 8025 17329F8B79FA
C237C07F C620 4E24 8C52 7FB26F1CFAC9
99298751 2DEE 491D A8B2 DF73A84B0543
30A53DB1 1A27 4643 AB23 4690833CCBF1
8E9D1D69 E7E7 4B64 93E2 43264236985C
48570DBC 9609 494D B305 AAA3CD6FC581
B0D8A6AD D80D 4A93 86E7 EE5DB52A0A61
39BBD377 160A 42E5 B68B 0D535170952F
580D47B2 56FA 49A8 8593 2EFC205E6D26

mattbeels, tv1, Koendb and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

I know I’ve built a few Barncaster type guitars from pallet wood now but this guy has just inspired me to try harder and do better. Wow! ✊🎸 I feel a new challenge coming on in the new year.Β 

Β 

mattbeels, tv1, Russ and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@boo

This is inspiring. I’m helping my broth in law to build his first guitar at the moment from a scaffold plank. I find soft wood a challenge.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  
Posted by: @rocknroller912

This is inspiring. I’m helping my broth in law to build his first guitar at the moment from a scaffold plank. I find soft wood a challenge.

@rocknroller912 Yeah soft wood is definitely more challenging for this kind of thing (guitar building) but it’s definitely doable and you can get great results. I always like to finish guitars I make from soft woods with an oil of some kind instead of paint, it’s just easier. Soft wood is nowhere near as stable as hard wood and can cause a lot of problems for paint.Β 

I fancy using a scaffold plank too for a build. I hope you and your brother in law enjoy the build. 👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier

@boo

Thsnks for the oil finishing tip I was going to ask your advice when I got to that part

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  
Posted by: @rocknroller912

Thsnks for the oil finishing tip I was going to ask your advice when I got to that part

@rocknroller912 Yeah, I use Danish Oil or Tru Oil or both. If I use both, I build up a half decent finish with the Danish Oil (because it’s cheaper) and finish off with a few coats of Tru Oil.Β 

mattbeels, tv1, Koendb and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4
Share: