67 Posts
8 Users
684 Likes
Robin
(@robin)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 16787

@boo  That is an inspiring build, you would never know that it started as pallet wood. I like that clever trick of taping a batten over the body when he was planing the flat angle over the horn end. Also like the wooden end for the tremolo arm. My only disappointment is that he didn't make a wooden knob for the selector switch.

mattbeels, tv1, Koendb and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34813
Topic starter  
Posted by: @robin

I like that clever trick of taping a batten over the body when he was planing the flat angle over the horn end.

@robin Yeah liked that too. What do they call those big planes? Is it a No. 1 plane? I expect they will be expensive. 

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

mattbeels, Robin, tv1 and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Bpower
(@bpower)
Noble Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 3851

@boo That looks like a #7 or a #8 plane. A big jointing plane. I have a #7 in my shop. I love it for jointing long boards but it is bloody heavy. A #1 plane is a very small plane they used to use in schools. Not much good for anything but to look at now. I only need a #1 and a #8 to complete my set and I don't know if my ocd or my reluctance for spending over $1000.00 on a #1 plane that I would never use will win out. 🙂 

Boo, mattbeels, Koendb and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  
Posted by: @bpower

That looks like a #7 or a #8 plane. A big jointing plane. I have a #7 in my shop. I love it for jointing long boards but it is bloody heavy. A #1 plane is a very small plane they used to use in schools. Not much good for anything but to look at now. I only need a #1 and a #8 to complete my set and I don't know if my ocd or my reluctance for spending over $1000.00 on a #1 plane that I would never use will win out. 🙂 

@bpower Ahh, I see, I have my numbers mixed up. Thanks for the lesson, I need to learn more about hand tools, I rely too much on power tools really. 

Happy New Year to you, whenever it reaches you. ✊🎸

mattbeels, Koendb, Robin and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Bpower
(@bpower)
Noble Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 3851

@boo happy new years to you as well. We still have a little over 6 hours to go so I have plenty of time for the beers. 🙂

ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 16787

@boo  I've got a big wooden plane that I think was was grandad's, I rescued it from going to the skip a few months ago when my brother was clearing out his garage. I've still to clean it up and sharpen it properly. Ever since I was a wee boy it was always just called the big plane, it doesn't look so big now though.

mattbeels, Koendb, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

I've got a big wooden plane that I think was was grandad's, I rescued it from going to the skip a few months ago when my brother was clearing out his garage.

@robin I rescued a lot of things when we were clearing out my father in law’s house last autumn (RIP). My sister in law is ruthless when it comes to throwing stuff out and I had to have my wits about me to save things from the skip. 

Ever since I was a wee boy it was always just called the big plane, it doesn't look so big now though.

Yes, I have a real problem with this. When buying a chocolate bar, I’m unsure of whether they have got smaller or if it’s me that’s got bigger and older (and fatter). I suspect it’s all of the above.  

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4
Share: