Building a guitar f...

Share:
Notifications
Clear all

Building a guitar for my thesis for school.

91 Posts
16 Users
1314 Likes
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

and now i have 3 weeks off

Isn’t that study time, or revision time, or something??

😋 😋 

Surely it can’t just be 3 weeks for you to do fun stuff ....

Be great to see the guitar progress - are you aiming to get it all done in the 3 weeks?

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

Tej, Koendb, Deej and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Louis123
(@louis123)
Trusted Member Customer
Technician
Rep Points: 612
Topic starter  

@tv1

hi, yes i have 3 weeks off. But i have some small task for school wich i spread throughout the 3 weeks. In the morning i do some tasks and in the afternoon i have time to build the guitar. I have all my parts ready, so yes i am planning on finishing it in these 3 weeks!

Take care

Louis

Tej, Koendb, Deej and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

In the morning i do some tasks and in the afternoon i have time to build the guitar. I have all my parts ready, so yes i am planning on finishing it in these 3 weeks!

@louis-kerckhove Good for you Louis, get cracking. 👍

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

Tej, Koendb, Deej and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Clinton
(@clinton)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 4965

Home stretch @louis-kerkove. Yup Boo is right in the fretwire. Really do not want to mess around with inappropriate radius in fretwire. It is nerve wracking as it is already. 9.5 is too extreme for 12 but can be manually bent if you wish. May not be worth the hassle if doing so. Syick with the plan. You are almost there. Keep it coming.

Tej, Koendb, Deej and 17 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Louis123
(@louis123)
Trusted Member Customer
Technician
Topic starter  

Update:

Drilled the holes for the strap locks and tuners today. I also drilled a hole on the side of the body for the guitar cable, i made sure that the hole is far enough from my leg so that the cable doesn't interrupt the playing. I also glued the fretboard onto the neck, now i will let it dry overnight (i made sure to use enough clamps). Tommorow i will put the frets in and start making my own custom scratchplate. Here are some pictures of

the progress so far:

20210401 153358
20210401 145421
20210401 104504
20210401 105042
20210401 101543

Louis

Tej, Koendb, Rocknroller912 and 17 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Louis123
(@louis123)
Trusted Member Customer
Technician
Topic starter  

Update:

Did the fretjob and i am cutting the scratchplate now (pictures coming soon). I have a question regarding electronics. I am using a humbucker, 1tone, 1 volume configuration but i want to add 2 caps instead of one. I also have a switch to choose between the 2 caps so that i can show my teachers the range of frequencies that can get cut out on both caps. Is it safe to put 2 caps in this configuration? I have a shematic to make things clearer.

SCAN0045

Louis

Koendb, mattbeels, tv1 and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
rockpile99
(@rockpile99)
Reputable Member Customer
Semi Professional
Rep Points: 494

Hi Louis

It's been nearly 30 years since I did my electronic engineering HND but your circuit diagram makes sense. I've never seen a guitar use capacitors that large though - do you really mean 27 and 33 Millifarads (mF)? More common values would be 0.1, 22, 33, or 47 Microfarads (uF) depending on the type of pickup and the preferred sound.

If you're wanting to demonstrate how the capacitor effects the tone for your thesis then have you considered soldering some wire and crocodile clips to the tone pot? You could then demonstrate a much wider range of caps.

What taper are you using on the tone pot - linear or audio? With linear (the standard wisdom for tone pots) your ears don't really notice a big change until you've turned the pot a long way. With audio taper you get a more noticeable change for a small amount of movement.

Thankfully solder is easy to remove so I'd say experiment with a variety of caps and pots until you find something that sounds good to you (that's the important bit - not the values used).

Other tips for soldering; tin the wire ends first, rub the pot bodies with sandpaper, melt some solder onto the pot before attempting to join any wires, and don't blow on joints to cool them down. The less time the pots are exposed to heat - the less chance of damaging anything.

Guitar making is the art and science of turning expensive wood into sawdust.

Tej, Koendb, mattbeels and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Louis123
(@louis123)
Trusted Member Customer
Technician
Topic starter  

Hi Louis

It's been nearly 30 years since I did my electronic engineering HND but your circuit diagram makes sense. I've never seen a guitar use capacitors that large though - do you really mean 27 and 33 Millifarads (mF)? More common values would be 0.1, 22, 33, or 47 Microfarads (uF) depending on the type of pickup and the preferred sound.

If you're wanting to demonstrate how the capacitor effects the tone for your thesis then have you considered soldering some wire and crocodile clips to the tone pot? You could then demonstrate a much wider range of caps.

What taper are you using on the tone pot - linear or audio? With linear (the standard wisdom for tone pots) your ears don't really notice a big change until you've turned the pot a long way. With audio taper you get a more noticeable change for a small amount of movement.

Thankfully solder is easy to remove so I'd say experiment with a variety of caps and pots until you find something that sounds good to you (that's the important bit - not the values used).

Other tips for soldering; tin the wire ends first, rub the pot bodies with sandpaper, melt some solder onto the pot before attempting to join any wires, and don't blow on joints to cool them down. The less time the pots are exposed to heat - the less chance of damaging anything.

@rockpile99 Thanks you so much for the in depth explenation, i will be using the tips u recommended!

I was reffering to MicroFarads, I asked my electricity teacher for a couple caps to experiment with and he gave them. My tonepot is a audiotaper and my volume just a regular lineair pot. Thanks again, really helpfull tips!

Koendb, mattbeels, tv1 and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Deej
 Deej
(@deej)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 10929

I think I’ll leave this Q to more qualified electrical knowing members..the thought always gives me shivers when I think of soldering!

I have too many guitars...said no one in the world..ever!

Tej, Koendb, mattbeels and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier

There are some great options for alternative tone wirings out there Louis, and some websites devoted just to them!

Take some time looking through articles on Premier Guitar ...

https://www.premierguitar.com/diy/mod-garage/mod-garage-deep-diving-into-treble-bleed-networks

Somewhere, I've got a link to a guy who built an off-guitar switching board, so he could try out different cap values on a test set-up without having to re-solder his guitar each time.  I'l try to dig that out tomorrow.

Top tip for soldering - get yourself a decent soldering station if you're going to be doing much soldering.  A variable-temperature iron with that lets you change the tips depending on what you're soldering.

Also, whilst I think of it - I've fitted a varitone control to a couple of guitars.  Gibson used it on a couple of models, including the Blueshawk.

http://www.bigdguitars.com/products/big-d-varitone-switch

Tej, Koendb, mattbeels and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Louis123
(@louis123)
Trusted Member Customer
Technician
Topic starter  

PROJECT IS FINISHED!

Hi guys, my guitar project is finished, i still have to make a plate to cover the trussrod at the headstock but the guitar is ready and she plays fantastic. here are some pictures, i will try to upload a demo of the sound when i have some more time. I know it may not be the best build someone has ever done, but i am proud i have a working guitar that i will enjoy and love for the rest of my life.

20210414 144536
20210414 174259
20210414 174159
20210414 174203
20210414 174255
20210414 174147

rockpile99, Koendb, Clinton and 15 people reacted
ReplyQuote
jamesbisset
(@jamesbisset)
Noble Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 1440

That’s amazing! Well done!

Jack of all trades and master of my own destiny. It’s only a small destiny.

Tej, Koendb, tv1 and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

Well done Louis it looks very good, you should get top marks for your thesis.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

ReplyQuote
Louis123
(@louis123)
Trusted Member Customer
Technician
Topic starter  

you should get top marks for your thesis.

@Rocknroller912

Thanks man! I hope so, we will see

ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

Congratulations and great job @louis-kerckhove!

I see that you modded the cutaway for better fret access, nice move. 😉

Now go shred those high notes and make @tv101 squeal like a pig, Soo Wee! 😆

Practice on scrap...

Tej, Koendb, Louis123 and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 28644

@louis-kerckhove.

Excellenté Louis. Hopefully the first of many. 

🎶🙂🎸🙏

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

@louis-kerckhove Fantastic Louis, well done. I think it’s great, such an original shape, you should get top marks for that mate. 🤘😁🤘🎸

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier

What a brilliant thing to have done, and to have done brilliantly!

Thats something that you can keep forever and enjoy every day.

Great school you must go to, that allows and encourages you to learn all the skills to create that.

Good work Louis!

Tej, Koendb, Russ and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Clinton
(@clinton)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 4965

Top Job!

Tej, Koendb, tv1 and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Louis123
(@louis123)
Trusted Member Customer
Technician
Topic starter  

UPDATE!

Hi everyone,

My guitar is playing great and my thesis is almost finished. I had to do a powerpoint presentation to my class and teacher dutch about the guitar i built. She told me that she had never heard someone talk with so much passion, Thats was a huge compliment. I have been think about what i want to study next year because i will be 18 this summer. I am very happy i can tell you that i am probably going to follow a study course on instrument making. It is a 5 year course and i am very motivated to learn about different instruments. My plan is to start building guitars on a regular basis and hopefully open my own workshop some day. This guitar building journey has sparked a flame in me that i didn't know i had in the first place. Thanks to Mark, Caroll and everyone in this community, u guys are awsome!

Louis

rockpile99, Tej, Boo and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 5
Share: