4 Users
50 Likes
Rathius
(@rathius)
Honorable Member
Crafter
Rep Points: 804
Topic starter  

So a year after signing up and watching the design and build course I’m finally getting to it. I’ve already seen the body design in another post but wanted to show the progress.

neck fitted and before going any further I have begun staining the front. A habit I’ve formed when working on figured guitar tops. Makes it a bit easier for me. I’m thinking another coat of the blue stain then I’ll shoot a couple of light coats of clear as sealer. 

I am naming the design after my dad because if not for the skills he taught me in the auto body shop I wouldn’t be right here doing this now. His name was Clark Wayne Glasscock but went by CW, so my design is a CW. Gibson has Les Paul I got a CW. And a better guitar to boot. But I went for a design that, well it ain’t cookie-cutter that’s for sure. Besides Mark I count Leo Lospennato as one of my teachers/mentors. I have a couple of his books and in one of them it mentions something “are you going to design a make another guitar just like everyone else or are you going to make a new classic?” Excuse me but hell yeah, let’s go for a new classic! 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

so here’s where I am at the moment. The design was originally inspired by the G in my logo but several have told me it looks like a heart. Dad died in ‘01 from a heart attack. 😳 subconscious working there maybe? Dunno but it does freak me out a little to be honest, although I am going to be using the heart reference to my advantage as much as possible. Check my festival banner and business card and you’ll see the slogan, “Play from the Heart”. Notice the similarity of the body shape and the G as well. Also I’ve contacted the American heart association (yeah I’m taking it that far) about partnering with them and donating 20% of each sale of this guitar model. 

FC3A1308 5D5E 48BC AC53 2D777AFFE1FC
CA507577 B6F1 41C0 9491 4D20BAD15A3B
0028EB06 1ADC 4EE9 B59D 32901EEAEAB3

Robin, Bpower, Russ and 5 people reacted
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

Posted by: @rathius

I am naming the design after my dad because if not for the skills he taught me in the auto body shop I wouldn’t be right here doing this now. His name was Clark Wayne Glasscock but went by CW, so my design is a CW. Gibson has Les Paul I got a CW. And a better guitar to boot. But I went for a design that, well it ain’t cookie-cutter that’s for sure

@rathius CW is a cool name. I’m glad your dad taught you those skills, I have them too. It’s all looking good man, keep going. 🤘

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

Robin, Bpower, Rathius and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 28659

Looking good @rathius. Keep the pictures coming. 

🎸🎶🙂🙏

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

Robin, Bpower, Rathius and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rathius
(@rathius)
Honorable Member
Crafter
Topic starter  

@russ don’t worry I will. I’m a show off at heart although that part of me has been kept on a very short leash the last few decades. Thanks to guitars, guitar making, Mark & everyone else I learned from that has helped me get here, that leash has been cut. 😁

Robin, Bpower, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 11547

@rathius, I do like the shape, but I'm worried it will be hard to keep on your lap if you play sitting down. I have experienced that issue on one of my builds as well. Other than that, looks really good man! 👍 

IMG 20210409 022538654

Boo, Robin, Bpower and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rathius
(@rathius)
Honorable Member
Crafter
Topic starter  

@koendb I was concerned about that myself when drawing it up. That horn was my solution which just happened to be part of the downstroke for the loop on the G. After cutting the body out that was one of the first things I checked. It actually balanced on my leg with no support from my hand although it was leaning back on my torso. But it didn’t have a neck in it. That may very well be what kills that balance though.

Boo, Robin, Koendb and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: