Page 7 / 9
  RSS

Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Luthier
Rep Points: 2741
28/05/2021 12:55 pm  

Took it down a little thinner than planned,  as the tape slipped and I didn’t notice until it was too late, thankfully didn’t go through the veneer but it was pretty close!!!

E3A3F4E6 DD80 47BF A9A7 192E6D74E37A

…on an elaborate journey to turn trees into music.

Boo, mattbeels, Robin and 2 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Luthier
Rep Points: 15990
28/05/2021 4:21 pm  

Looks great to me @tej. 👍🙂 

🙏🎸🎶🙂

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

Boo, mattbeels, Koendb and 1 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Luthier
28/05/2021 5:23 pm  

@russ cheers, it’s good from that angle, on the left though it’s literally paper thin, now with a small chip too so I’ll need to reprofile the edge and wrap the headstock with something to protect while I carve the neck.

Boo, mattbeels, Koendb and 1 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 3156
29/05/2021 8:52 am  

now with a small chip too so I’ll need to reprofile the edge and wrap the headstock with something to protect while I carve the neck.

I gave up caring about tear out and small dings and chips, cause in the end, I always manage to screw something up, even a day or two later :-/

Boo, mattbeels, Tej and 2 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Luthier
29/05/2021 3:50 pm  

I gave up caring about tear out and small dings and chips,

@koendb I can’t let this one go, it’s way too obvious! Should be able to clean it up ok though, in theory 😬

Boo, mattbeels, Russ and 1 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Luthier
03/06/2021 10:47 am  

Slow progress after more illness! At some point I’m not going to need a new tool to do the next step, the carving is going well but the rasp I have is way to big for the heel and volute(?) so waiting on delivery of a round rasp to get that sorted.

1D7AA4D4 8E05 4AD7 8A1E 6642CC4146E3

Boo, Koendb, cheesewhisk and 2 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Luthier
07/06/2021 10:42 am  

Getting there with the neck, heal needs a lot more work still but the rest is pretty much there. I got a real issue though with the thickness. As I screwed up the initial root for the truss Rod I can’t actually make the neck as thin as I wanted as I’ll end up with a hole in the back of the neck!! Really isn’t a workaround that would look nice for this so just going to have to have a little extra depth. One though I did have was to rout a channel and have kind of skunk stripe in the back but I don’t fancy trying to route a channel in the back of the now curved neck and also don’t want to risk going so deep I catch the truss rod with the router.

Boo, Russ and Koendb liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Customer
Luthier
07/06/2021 11:26 am  

As I screwed up the initial root for the truss Rod I can’t actually make the neck as thin as I wanted as I’ll end up with a hole in the back of the neck!

@Tej How deep is the trussrod channel and what is the thickness of your neck now?

Boo and Russ liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Luthier
07/06/2021 11:43 am  

@koendb Don’t have it to hand, off the top of my head it’s going to end up 23mm at the headstock end. There’s a sizeable step from where I didn’t lock the depth stop in which means there’s now only about 1 mm of wood from the back of that part of the neck to the bottom of the channel. Thankfully the channel tapers down and I did fill up what I could with an addition filler under the truss Rod so it should be strong enough. Going to be very apprehensive when using the truss rod though, pretty sure the parts where it’ll stress the wood have enough to push on without wrecking anything though. Well, fairly, sort of sure, ish 😬

ReplyReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Luthier
09/06/2021 9:25 am  
A235DCFC F998 4EB2 98BD F264293163BD
37AD4CDB FCBA 4AAB 8689 0D84E0E55C08

Neck nearly done now, angle of the heal is a little steeper than I’d like so might take that down a little more. Also need to sand back the top laminate so the nut will fit snugly in place. Then onto the fretboard. Current plan is dot’s along the top with double dots for the 12th the dots along the bottom to the 24th again with double on that too. Need to figure out what space I have, I think 3 or 4 mm dots will be needed to be able to get 2 on the 24th unless I put them vertically. Still undecided 🤷‍♂️ 

I’ve been doing a couple of tests with dye for the body, have an intense water based blue dye I want to use. Any suggestions of a top coat that’s applicable without spraying that doesn’t take weeks to properly cure would be very welcome. I’ve used finishes from Wudtone previously which were great but the dry time between coats and final cure time really drag on!

Boo, Robin, Russ and 1 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Bart Van der Kemp
(@bart-van-der-kemp)
Adept
Rep Points: 117
09/06/2021 11:07 am  

Hi Tej, I have used Osmo Hardwax Polyx oil for my last build. I stained an alder body yellow and then put 5 thin layers hardware oil over it. After applying a thin layer I waited about 12 hours for the next one. After last layer let it cure for about 5 days and then put a wax over it for some extra protection and shine. I also used it for the maple neck. Happy with the results. See pictures attached.

IMG 0193
IMG 0196

Boo, Robin, Russ and 2 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Luthier
09/06/2021 11:13 am  

@bart-van-der-kemp Thanks, the finish  looks good, not familiar with “hardware oil” have you got a link to the product please? Also did the oil alter the colour from when you stained it at all?

ReplyReplyQuote
Bart Van der Kemp
(@bart-van-der-kemp)
Adept
Rep Points: 117
09/06/2021 11:51 am  

Hi Tej,

Autocorrection kicked in, it is Hardwax oil. A mixture of oil and wax, normally used on floors.

https://www.woodshopdirect.co.uk/interior-oils-waxes/osmo-3032-polyx-oil-clear-satin/

After staining I used another oil to get the intense yellow off a bit and also enhance the grain pattern. So that indeed changed the colour.

Then I started with the Hardwax oil. That did not change much anymore to the colour.

I liked it because it is a clean way of finishing, does not smell too bad and don't need air extraction.

After staining:

IMG 3078

After applying oil:

IMG 3081

After applying Osmo Hardwax oil 3032

IMG 3092

I hope this will give an idea.

Boo, Tej, Robin and 3 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Customer
Luthier
09/06/2021 1:29 pm  

I actually just finish a lot of my builds with only shellac. I really like how my (shellac) finishes look and , more important, feel.
Now I am not doing a french polish or anything like that, I just put on a few (4 or 5 ) coats of shellac , spread over a couple of days, the neck gets a little bit more coats. I do aply most coats in a similar way as a french polish, I wrap a linnen cloth around a few cotton balls, dip that in shellac and rub the body and neck. If it gets to sticky, I use a drop of general purpose oil and continue.

I dont have High gloss finishes but the results are pretty much similar to @bart-van-der-kemp

Boo, Tej, Robin and 1 people liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Luthier
09/06/2021 6:37 pm  

Thanks for the ideas guys, as it happened I stumbled across a bottle of deep penetrating oil today which I’m going to test out over my dyed scrap. I think it’ll give a similar result to those posted. But will have to see how it goes. Hopefully it’ll work as I don’t really want to spend any more money on this particular build!!!

Koendb and Boo liked
ReplyReplyQuote
Page 7 / 9