ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 5385
Topic starter  

@robin turns out that I needed very little in terms of carving for the belly and wrist carves so they’re both quite slight. In might need to carve the lower horn out a little more to allow better access to the higher frets. Won’t know for sure until I’ve got the neck he’s cut to size. Thanks again for posting your pics!

133CB270 0D85 45B2 ABB8 7489A4AB895A
39AB9EE8 84B1 4E1D 8EE7 89586DC45A48
81E3F53F 9A01 4677 A04A 672F0A2690D9
C8315216 A551 40D1 A507 8612D41AA16F

…on an elaborate journey to turn trees into music.

tv1, Boo, Robin and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Topic starter  

You could almost be fooled into thing this Is going to be a guitar. I’ve got a small design flaw on my part, the lower horn, despite taking more of the thickness out is still in the way at the last few frets. So I can either live with it, remove my little finger, or carve it down more. The latter is most tempting but I’m risking the horn looking a bit spindley. Photo isn’t from the best angle!

DF51BF81 D5A8 4947 BAFA 9F7AA18F586C

tv1, Boo, Robin and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 11547

@tej I have the same issue with one of my builds. the cutaway should be a lot lower.  It is also difficult to balance on my lap because of the weird curve at the bottom of the lower horn. It looks like your shape is quite similar, do you experience the same ?

IMG 20210409 022607695

ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Topic starter  

@koendb I always wear a strap with the guitar quite high so I can have the neck at a high angle so there’s no strain on my wrist. On the rare occasion I don’t use a strap I’ll have it one my left leg so it’s balanced between them, usually with a foot stool as you’ll likely have seen classical guitarists sit. 
There’s not enough wood for me to change it how I want really so just need to remove what I can checking it regularly to make sure it’s not too weird looking!!!!

Next build I’m going to mock up a full template, neck and all so I can avoid this kind of thing again, also plan for next time is a through neck which eliminates the problem entirely!

ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 16819

@tej

Your carving is looking good. As for removing fingers, I've tried it and wouldn't recommend it.

tv1, Boo, Tej and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Topic starter  

@robin thanks, I’ve made both horns a bit thinner now too so the lower one doesn’t block things, it’s a little annoying still but overall I’m not going to spend “that” much time at the 24th anyway! Will post updated pic later after I’ve shaped it with sandpaper too.

tv1, Boo, Koendb and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Topic starter  

A few minor scratches to get out now, then deciding when to drill the bridge holes. Also need to focus a bit of time shaping the tips of the horns as they’re a bit sloppy.

90BE98F8 4E92 414E BC2E 01FDC2E35973
41F59884 EBD4 4235 A8E9 BD8C7A2F7B0A
382424F7 F8C6 4525 A232 88FE916282B7
49282834 0C08 41B5 BCD2 366C172F1759
D1BB04F1 5597 45B5 B3D7 5241D6498766

tv1, mattbeels, Boo and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Topic starter  

Apologies to all for radio silence, not a lot to post about while I’m applying coat after coat of finishy coloury gloop, it’s all just more green than it used to be 🙂

As for the headstock logo, that’s been such a pain, spent too much money on alternative ideas that didn’t pay off. Finally found a combo of transfers and clear coat that didn’t react to the finish I’ll be applying to the neck and head stock. I do however need to cut the transfer so carefully so there is no clear part over the wood as it’s, well, just not clear enough! In hindsight the stupid money the pro made transfers cost is looking quite appealing right now 😬

tv1, mattbeels, Boo and 11 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Topic starter  

Well this is al getting rather infuriating, finish was going well until I added grain filler, it’s now a total mess, while sanding down the filler I caught the edges too much and took all the colour off them. Couldn’t get it back the same as the rest so literally need to sand everything back now. Very disheartening to say the least.

ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Luthier
Rep Points: 16819

, while sanding down the filler I caught the edges too much and took all the colour off them. Couldn’t get it back the same as the rest so literally need to sand everything back now

I feel your pain there @tej. Try mixing some stain into your sealer to get a match before you resort to sanding it all back.

ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Topic starter  

@robin I had done, it just looked a mess, really uneven texture and colour. Just need to suck it up and start again. 

ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@tej 

Its difficult to comment without seeing a photo but not all instrument finishes are designed to be even all the way over, and stain often looks bad until the final finish coat. Sounds like you have created a relic type of finish with some natural wear and tear without realising it.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Topic starter  

Sadly what I created was a mess @rocknroller912 I know what you’re getting at but that’s really not what it’d have come out like and is about as far away from what I wanted as you can get. No matter, I think I’ve enough stain left to make a good job of it if leaving out the grain filler this time that’s for sure!!

ReplyQuote
Rocknroller912
(@rocknroller912)
Luthier
Rep Points: 8383

@tej

It must be bad if you don’t want to show it. Scraping is sometimes better than sanding to remove a failed finish as sanding can just rub it further into the grain. I’ve been there so learned the hard way.

Some people call me a tool, others are less complimentary. Tools being useful things.

ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Topic starter  

@rocknroller912 yeah very displeased with my Frankenfinish! I took to it with the random orbital in the end and took it right back finishing by hand with the grain. First coat of deep colour went on well so all should be well.

tv1, mattbeels, Boo and 13 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Topic starter  

Well hello there, after an uncooperative summer mixed with illness and isolation progress is now being made again. Top coats of finish now going onto the body and neck, pics to follow. Looking at about another 4 thin layers, then a few weeks to allow a full cure, then to glue the neck on and continue. 100% going with water based finish and quicker drying laquer or ok next time, without spraying this process has been a pain in the *#$!
Frustratingly I canned the idea of a logo, too expensive to get professionally done when I’m not selling the instrument and my experiments weren’t up to scratch compared to the rest of the guitar. 
Hope you lovely people are all well 🙂

mattbeels, Boo, Bpower and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

@tej Hey man, I’ve somehow missed all of this, just caught up now. It’s all looking superb and you just have to work through the mistakes, it’s part of the job. I’m looking forward to seeing the finish. Keep going man. 👍

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

tv1, mattbeels, Robin and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Topic starter  

I’ve somehow missed all of this

I’ll not take your previous silence personally @boo 😉

Only concern now is that the bridge is a very tight fit in the mount holes, at least it is in the test ones, I meant to address that before I applied the finish but didn’t stupidly. Just hoping enlarging them doesn’t cause an issue!

tv1, mattbeels, Robin and 9 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 8 / 12
Share: