Rathius
(@rathius)
Honorable Member
Crafter
Rep Points: 804
Topic starter  

DDC4CF0A 4EC2 4059 95F0 35897A5E8250

Hi all!

Ive taken the design and build your own electric guitar and I am now have first full-size drawing complete. I have it hanging in my shop/garage 😂. Here’s a picture I just took.

BTW, I already see changes that need to be made 🤣. Not there yet am I? 😂

3172B8EB 64C6 4A09 A270 2C7CF2D9D502

Here’s the revised design thus far. May still need to make the headstock longer though. Might look better with shorter horns on the headstock too.

mattbeels, tv1, Koendb and 9 people reacted
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

@rathius Hey man, welcome. 

Cool design, although one thing that jumps out at me is the headstock. Just make sure you have enough room for all of the tuners/machine heads and they are accessible enough to use comfortably. They need to be evenly spaced and the strings not interfere with any of the other tuners. It’s easy to get carried away with aesthetic design and overlook essential practicalities.
It’s a great start and you can get this to work, no problem.
It’s a bold design and I’m looking forward to seeing it develop and get built.

Good luck and if you need any help, come back here, ask all the questions you like and we will help you out. 👍 

Boo. 

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

mattbeels, tv1, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Robin
(@robin)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 16811

Hi @rathius

That's looking good, I like what you're doing there matching the headstock to the body. Just as an example of what @boo is saying, the headstock on my second build is a lot less radical than yours, but I had to reshape it a little because I couldn't turn the D string tuner.

20210106 182323

mattbeels, tv1, Koendb and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 28644

Welcome @rathius.

What an adventurous design. As Elvis once said it's "The Devil In Disguise" 🤘 

🙏🎸🙂🎶

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

mattbeels, Boo, tv1 and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 11547

@rathius Welcome to the community! I agree with @boo and @robin regarding the headstock. I think it could already help if you stretch the headstock a little.

mattbeels, Robin, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

As others have suggested - always check the string path from the nut to tuner.

Mark out where you plan on putting the tuners, and then draw lines to show the position of the strings from the nut to the tuner.  Make sure that each string can get to its tuner without crossing into the line of another string, or another tuner.

Another good tip is to try to make those string lines as straight as possible, though that will compromise your headstock design!

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

mattbeels, Robin, Koendb and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Rathius
(@rathius)
Honorable Member
Crafter
Rep Points: 804
Topic starter  

The headstock was one of the things I was looking at that I didn’t think looked right. Thanks to everyone for confirming my suspicions. The horns on the body were something that also “just didn’t look quite right”. I’ve addressed both of those with the revisions I did last night and today. I’ve added the picture of the revised design to the original post

mattbeels, Russ, Boo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: