42 Likes
Rathius
(@rathius)
Honorable Member
Crafter
Rep Points: 804
Topic starter  

26D57FE5 D73C 4163 AC7F 20C908E24CB5

Ok this is version #6 with the very first one I showed y’all being version #1. I haven’t made any changes to this in 3 days so I may be ready to cut it out of 3/4” MDF or plywood to see how she feels in the hand and on the leg. 25” string length and 24 frets.

A couple of questions for y’all.

I’ve been told a string-thru guitar has better sustain than one with a stop bar or wraparound bridge. Is this true and does it really make that much difference?

My body blank is a single piece of Honduran Mahogany I purchased from StewMac. I wanted my very first body design and from-scratch build to be cut from a single chunk of wood so I splurged. It also removes the making the blank part of the build so it maybe it’ll make things easier 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Tej, mattbeels, Russ and 9 people reacted
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842

Posted by: @rathius

I’ve been told a string-thru guitar has better sustain than one with a stop bar or wraparound bridge. Is this true and does it really make that much difference?

@rathius I think that is highly debatable and I don’t know the answer. I will say though that I think it is subjective and up to you, it will work either way. Whether it’s a top loader, wrap around, string through, various trems, tune o matic or anything else, it will play well. 

I think your revised design looks great. The main thing with guitar design is to make sure all the essential practicalities are right and essentials like scale length etc. so long as the guitar can operate properly, everything else is an open book. Like I said last time, I was just concerned about the tuners and I think you have done a good job of making sure that they will work properly now. 

Nothing wrong with using a single slab for the body. 👍 

I look forward to seeing you progress. 

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

mattbeels, Rathius, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Koendb
(@koendb)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 11547

I don't know if there is a consensus on that matter @rathius. It does not matter enough to lose sleep over, that s for sure 🙂

Boo, mattbeels, Rathius and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Tej
 Tej
(@tej)
Famed Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 5385

I have a Tele copy build that started with the strings attached to the bridge, later changed it to run the strings through the body. Made absolutely no difference to the sound or sustain. Nut and bridge material coupled with the pickups are the things that will make a difference, the one you’ll notice most is the pickups. Capacitor values on the tone control alter the sound too. 
Ultimately the string is vibrating between the nut and bridge what goes on after those points I don’t believe makes a difference.

With the 24 fret design be sure access to those high frets is good for your hands between the neck and lower horn, I overlooked this and had to change things after I’d carved the shape I wanted, your mock cut out should give you a fair idea. Looking at your design I don’t think it’ll be an issue though!!

Enjoy 🙂

…on an elaborate journey to turn trees into music.

mattbeels, Robin, Boo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Share: