Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 34842
Topic starter  

Just saw this? What do you think? 

Yeah I’ve seen these on the market but I’ve never used one. The thing is, it’s better to have a proper decent compressor so you can use a range of air tools, including spray guns. The Mirka sander I bought is an air sander that runs off my compressor. I’ve got an air drill, saw, nibbler, eraser wheel, DA sander, blow gun, tyre inflator, several spray guns and others I can’t recall. One good compressor runs all of those and air tools work out quite a bit cheaper than their electric counterparts, that’s partly why lots of workshops have them. 

I think the Fuji is limiting. It’s probably quite good  but for the reasons I’ve mentioned, it’s not for me. Also, I do thin my paint a little because I want it to flow. 

Make guitars, not war 🌍✌️🎸

mattbeels, tv1, Russ and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 28658

Great to hear your impressions @boo. It helps us all to look at what we need to take into account when making our decisions. 

🙂🎶🎸🙏

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

mattbeels, Boo, tv1 and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Noble Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 2035

A compressor is a wonderful excuse to buy all sorts of other tools, including a venturi bagpress unit.

Hopefully I can avoid getting one though, since we have a couple at my hackspace (including a very large one in the metal shop).

If I bought one for myself it's almost inevitable I'd upsell myself!

mattbeels, Boo, tv1 and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Illustrious Member Customer Registered
Luthier
Rep Points: 27896

A compressor is a wonderful excuse to buy all sorts of other tools,

I keep thinking "perhaps I should get a compressor", but the cost of all the other tools that I'd end up buying puts me off!

Online guitar making courses – guitarmaking.co.uk

mattbeels, Boo, Russ and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Noble Member Customer
Luthier

@tv1

For me it's not just the tools, it's the loop I'd get into, finding that I could buy tool X if my compressor was just a little bit bigger...

I'd start off looking at something suitable for an airbrush that I could store on a shelf in my flat, and before I knew it I'd be looking at the Turbo Mega Compressor Pro Triple Plus and thinking "well, I might need to spray paint a double decker bus in a hurry one day, so maybe I should just go with this one).

mattbeels, tv1, Boo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

Every workshop should have compressed air, it’s invaluable. Even if you only used a blow gun and paint spraying guns, it would pay for itself in no time. The thing is with air tools @tv101 is that they are much cheaper than buying a load of electric tools. They also last much longer if you look after them, there isn’t as much to go wrong. Like I said, I got my Mirka sander for £120 and it will last much longer than any electric sander you wish to name. Not because it is a Mirka, because it is an air tool.
Another advantage is that you can use them in wet applications. How many electric sanders or other electric tools can you use around water? There are a few, including Mirka and Festool but we know how expensive they are. 
Electric Mirka sander is about £400 to £600 maybe. Festool could be getting on for a £1,000 or so. 

A Mirka air sander can do everything the electric one can (apart from the fancy digital Bluetooth connectivity and control pad. Unnecessary or needed? 🤔) at a fraction of the price, do it safer and it’s lighter and therefore more ergonomic to use. 

If people are serious about having a workshop, whatever they are building, a big compressor and a set of air tools is a sensible, economical, long term investment. Electric power tools are good whilst they last but eventually they wear out, they come and go, a false economy (especially cheap machines). 

Have as many air tools that you need as you can, the rest will obviously have to be electric. 

This isn’t a rant by the way, I’m just giving my opinion. 👍

mattbeels, Russ, mattbeels and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier

I'd start off looking at something suitable for an airbrush that I could store on a shelf in my flat, and before I knew it I'd be looking at the Turbo Mega Compressor Pro Triple Plus and thinking "well, I might need to spray paint a double decker bus in a hurry one day, so maybe I should just go with this one).

You never can be too well prepared @jonhodgson!

mattbeels, Russ, Boo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
tv1
 tv1
(@tv101)
Luthier

Even if you only used a blow gun and paint spraying guns, it would pay for itself in no time.

Ahhh, but I don't @Boo!

The Mirka sander is probably the first tool that I've considered buying, where there was a choice between air/AC powered versions.

The only uses I can think of, for a compressor, is the Mirka sander and paint guns.  I'm probably not going to start paintspraying to that level, and the Mirka has an AC powered option.  And doesn't need me to find space in my workshop for a compressor.

mattbeels, Russ, Boo and 3 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Russ
 Russ
(@russ)
Illustrious Member Customer
Luthier
Rep Points: 28658

Every workshop should have compressed air,

Now you've got me thinking @boo. I'm not quite in the position to be creating a workshop........ yet....but it's more information to ponder over. 

🙏🎸🎶🙂

🗝️ "Life's what you make it"🗝️

mattbeels, Boo, mattbeels and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

The only uses I can think of, for a compressor, is the Mirka sander and paint guns. 

@tv101 Yeah, fair enough. The amount of things I use a simple air gun for, cleaning is unreal. Blasting fine sawdust out of open grain is a prime example, it’s so quick, you have to be careful not to blow it all back into your eyes though. 🤣 

I would be lost in a workshop without compressed air, I’d feel bereft. 😭

mattbeels, Russ, mattbeels and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Noble Member Customer
Luthier

@boo

You say a "big compressor", but if someone didn't have room/budget for the biggest, what would you say would do the job for most people? i.e. enough to spray one guitar at a time, and run a reasonable selection of tools (mirka sander being an obvious one).

To be straight I doubt I'll be buying one myself for a while (no workshop of my own but the hackspace already has a couple of compressors) but it might be interesting for those equipping their sheds here.

Tej, Boo, mattbeels and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

Now you've got me thinking @boo. I'm not quite in the position to be creating a workshop........ yet....but it's more information to ponder over. 

@russ I honestly use it every day. My first job in the morning when I open my workshop is turn the compressor on and it’s the last thing I turn off when I lock up (apart from the lights). Invaluable. 👍 

Tej, mattbeels, tv1 and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 19074

I love the idea of air tools and having compressed air but the memory of my dad’s compressor is that is was rather loud. But perhaps today’s models are reasonably quiet? 🤔 

Practice on scrap...

Tej, tv1, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

I love the idea of air tools and having compressed air but the memory of my dad’s compressor is that is was rather loud. But perhaps today’s models are reasonably quiet? 🤔 

@mattbeels Yep they can be but there are some really quiet ones these days. I would advise getting the biggest compressor you can afford and having it in another room or even in a secure, insulated box outside with a pipe through the wall and regulator and water/oil trap mounted on the wall on the inside. You want the incoming air to be fresh and clean, you can then use an air fed breathing mask when spraying paint or using sanders/grinders etc. 
I know you wouldn’t be spraying in your work space but I’m just giving examples. 👍

Tej, tv1, mattbeels and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
darrenking
(@darrenking)
Famed Member
Luthier
Rep Points: 5112

but the memory of my dad’s compressor is that is was rather loud

Yes, they can be very loud, especially at the budget end of the range. You can get compressors that are barely audible but they cost a fair amount of money. Bambi, and several other companies manufacture compressors using oil filled pump heads resulting in machines that you can hardly hear. For higher capacity compressors then look at Hydrovane type or screw compressors. A lot more money but regularly available on eBay and industrial auctions and a LOT quieter than low cost piston compressors.

Tej, tv1, Russ and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

Thanks for the info @boo and @darrenking

I’ll look into those options and then cry (probably) when I see the prices! 😆

Practice on scrap...

Tej, tv1, Russ and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Noble Member Customer
Luthier

I’ll look into those options and then cry (probably) when I see the prices!

@mattbeels, yes, but according to boo the tools are so much cheaper that you'll be saving money every time you buy one, so you'll feel bad once but good many times.

You'll just have to buy many tools so you can save as much money and feel good about it as many times as possible.

😀

Tej, tv1, mattbeels and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Boo
 Boo
(@boo)
Illustrious Member
Luthier
Topic starter  

🤣😆🤣😆🤣😆😆🤣

Tej, tv1, mattbeels and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
mattbeels
(@mattbeels)
Illustrious Member
Luthier

That’s true @jonhodgson but at the moment I can’t really think of any air tools that I’d need/buy besides a sander... 🤔 

Practice on scrap...

Tej, tv1, Boo and 5 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Jonathan Hodgson
(@jonhodgson)
Noble Member Customer
Luthier

at the moment I can’t really think of any air tools that I’d need/buy besides a sander

@mattbeels

Easily solved with a couple of catalogues and a drink.

Tej, tv1, Boo and 7 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: